TV of Preseason Games - Jim O - Help!

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The delayed launch of the NFL Network (which means preseason games won't be aired on it this year) puts us right back on "square one" with regard to blackouts.

There is more than one issue involved here.

- Why should games be blacked out at all in distant markets that carry FoxSportsAZ via DirecTV and DISH? Whether or not we watch the game has no bearing on local ratings or the impact on sales of the advertisers' product in AZ.

- Unpredictability - We never know whether or not the game will be aired or blacked out until we either (a) see the game or (b) the "blue strip of death" appears at the bottom of the Channel 649 screen. (Or even worse - the first few minutes of the game airs - and then they black it out).

- Poor Communications - Sometimes we're told the game will be aired & then it isn't. Sometimes we're told it will be blacked out and then it airs. And we never know til game time. Why can't we get accurate info about the airing of the game - at least a week in advance of the game. Some of us plan our weekends around watching it. Then when it's not on, another evening has been screwed up.

- Buck Passing - Depending on who you talk to - "It's the NFL who blacked out the game." "It's FOX." It's DirecTV." "It's the Cardinals." "It's the other team." "It's a last-minute side deal between FOX AZ and another western affiliate." It would be helpful if someone with clout were to take it upon him/herself and bring all the parties together to permit the airing of these preaseason games.

- Bleep Happens After It's Too Late to Do Anything About it - Each year we get the same story - "Things were worked out prior to preseason and we're stuck with those policies." The time to fix those policies is NOW - before the milk is irrevocably spilled.

Jim O - Can you run interference for us on this? We need someone representing the Cardinals to clear away the archaic blackout stuff that benefits no party (league, broadcaster, satellite provider, team or fan). Can you start the ball rolling by having someone work things out with the various parties involved while there is still time to do it?

To a hard-core Cardinal fan, preseason games, in some ways, are more interesting than some regular season games because it's like opening your Christmas packages in July and August - you get to see what the draft and off-season moves have brought you.

Help. Please! Thanx.

Jim O

Reaction score
Well Jeff,

This is kind of a moot point now because our games will not be on Fox Sports AZ at all. The preseaon games will air on AZ-TV. There will be a press release on all of our broadcast information soon.

http://www.kaz.tv/

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, that's just great. All we have in Alpine is DirecTV. 30 miles to Springerville but they don't have any sports bars. 45 miles to Greer but again, no sports bars.

jf-08

chohan
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Skkorpion
Well, that's just great. All we have in Alpine is DirecTV. 30 miles to Springerville but they don't have any sports bars. 45 miles to Greer but again, no sports bars.

What, the Red Setter Inn doesn't have a sports bar?? :)

BBTW - the Inn is awesome, no tvs in the place. Just a romantic Inn at the far edge of town. Great to spend time there in winter and summer.

Alan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
So not only can I not watch any regular season games this year, but I can't watch preseason either.

jf-08

chohan
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Alan
So not only can I not watch any regular season games this year, but I can't watch preseason either.

dude yer screwed

OP
OP
JeffGollin

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is kind of a moot point now because our games will not be on Fox Sports AZ at all. The preseaon games will air on AZ-TV. There will be a press release on all of our broadcast information soon.
Fire the clown who did that!

I can see the marketing strategy behind that classic move:

1. Make sure as few as possible hard-core Cardinal fans get to watch preseason games.

2. That way the fan base will be smaller and enthusiasm at a lower ebb.

Freakin' brilliant!!!!!!

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by JeffGollin
Fire the clown who did that!

I can see the marketing strategy behind that classic move:

1. Make sure as few as possible hard-core Cardinal fans get to watch preseason games.

2. That way the fan base will be smaller and enthusiasm at a lower ebb.

Freakin' brilliant!!!!!!

Well put. This decision is assinine.

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey! I have directTV but according to the site it is over the air on channel 27!

* runs to store to buy rabbit ears and aluminum foil * :D

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by jw7
Hey! I have directTV but according to the site it is over the air on channel 27!

* runs to store to buy rabbit ears and aluminum foil * :D

Good luck getting a signal. I can't even pick up 27 in Carefree.

My home in the valley is 72 miles from the stadium and I won't be able to receive a single preseason broadcast.

We, Cards fans everywhere, just got the shaft.

KingofCards

My Hero
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
What the hell is AZ-Tv? Will get the away games in PHx?

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good luck getting a signal. I can't even pick up 27 in Carefree.

My home in the valley is 72 miles from the stadium and I won't be able to receive a single preseason broadcast.

We, Cards fans everywhere, just got the shaft.

Ha Ha - I just checked. I have a TV w/rabbit ears in the den.

Ch 27 comes in! Right now, there is a fine episode of Andy Griffith on. Of course the picture is waving like I'm watching a fishbowl, but nothing a little dramamine can't fix.

Foil! I need a good deal on Foil! :p

Edit: The "Skipper" from Gilligan's island is on this episode! I'd tune in...a must see!

Last edited:

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it's just the pre-season games that will be on AZ-TV----right? The regular season games were on Channel 10 last year and we got that from Direct TV here in the valley.

BTW---I have a very good outside antenna (I live in Tempe) so I can receive the local HD channels and all channels come in great except for 27. The picture is horrible. Does anyone have any idea where they transmit from so I could use a directional antenna and point it in that direction?

OP
OP
JeffGollin

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think it's just the pre-season games that will be on AZ-TV----right? The regular season games were on Channel 10 last year and we got that from Direct TV here in the valley.

The issue is preseason games only. But to many hard-core Cardinal fans, preseason games take on far more importance than they do to casual fans.

Many of us - as we do on this bb - want to follow the team far more closely than simply catching a regular season game on Sunday and watching highlights at 11pm.

As such, preseason games give us the chance to see where we stack up after Graves & Co. have finished drafting guys and signing free agents.

This year this includes (a) How Emmitt looks, (b) How Dexter J fits in, (c) whether Pace is better than Suggs would have been, (d) how our young wideouts are coming along and (e) who's going to crack the lineup at LB.

Having to read about this in some lame copy of a national or local publication - or wait til the regular season - flat out sucks (pardon the cliche, but nothing else adequately describes my feelings).

dbcard74

Reaction score
I'm not sure I understand this. I am planning on getting DirecTV at the end of the July so I can watch the Cardinals this fall. I also understood that their preseason games have been shown on a tape-delayed basis in the past.

Are y'all saying that the Cardinals' preseason games won't be on DirecTV at all? Or just not on a live basis?

If someone could answer that, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by dbcard74
I'm not sure I understand this. I am planning on getting DirecTV at the end of the July so I can watch the Cardinals this fall. I also understood that their preseason games have been shown on a tape-delayed basis in the past.

Are y'all saying that the Cardinals' preseason games won't be on DirecTV at all? Or just not on a live basis?

If someone could answer that, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

The preseason games won't be on DirecTV at all. They also won't even be broadcast over the air in Phonix except on two weak stations nobody can get.

JasonKGME

I'm a uncle's monkey??
Reaction score
The preseason games won't be on DirecTV at all. They also won't even be broadcast over the air in Phonix except on two weak stations nobody can get.

Actually if you have Cox Cable, AZ-TV is broadcasted on channel 14 and comes in extremely clear.

On a side note Skkorp, I live in Glendale, so your a little bit of a drive from me, but if you need a place to come have a beer and watch preseason let me know, and I'm sure I'll invite ya over! :)

Either that or maybe call one of your local bars and see if any of them can get the channel???

KingofCards

My Hero
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I get that channel in perfect on Cox! Thanks for th einfo Jason. I am sure I would have stumbled across it while channel surfing!

OP
OP
JeffGollin

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Back to Bowing and Scraping...

Given the new sucky preseason TV setup outlined by the crack Cardinal Broadcast Dept. - I am back to holding out my tin cup and begging for videotapes of each of the 4 preseason games.

Obviously, I'll be willing to pay for postage/cost of the blank tape.

If you're willing to help, please contact me at [email protected].

(Added note - I want to post my observations here and on the BRS, and the Internet Radio account of the game, while helpful and insightful, (a) doesn't cover some of the stuff that you can see when you actually watch the game on TV and (b) it's much easier to rewind a VCR to rewatch something you want to check out than it is trying to find it on the archived Internet play by play on the PC).

Wildman©

former FOOTBALL Coach
Reaction score
I am in the same boat that Jeff is in... If one of you guys or gals is able to help you can contact me at:
[email protected]
We can negotiate the cost before the first preseason game is played...

Last edited:

Jim O

Reaction score
Originally posted by Alan
Will the games at least be broadcasted over the Internet somewhere?

Yes. All radio programs, including the games, will be on the internet. I'll post the links as I get them or you can always log on to www.azcardinals.com on gameday and the link will be there.