Twitter Embeds

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One thing I've noticed that exacerbates the issue is when there are multiple tweets in a row and the page formatting gets all jerked around after they load. So, instead of taking a user to the place they started, like the newest post, it pushes the view way back up the page and one finds themselves having to scroll down through posts that have already been read in order to locate the next new post. Happens on desktop and mobile, but worse on mobile for obvious reasons.
Very much this.

The more tweets in a row the worse it gets.

Devilmaycare

Nerd Supreme
Reaction score
Yeah, I've seen this with this plugin on other xenoforo sites too. The plug-in we're using now renders the page, then loads the tweets, then re-renders the page to resize it to first the tweets. Your new post scroll position is set after the first render so you end up a number of posts above it once it re-renders.

The old one that wasn't working correctly after the twitter/x change didn't render under after the tweets were loaded. That gave a smoother user experience since your scroll point isn't jumping around during the load.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just came into support looking for this issue. It's a drag that every time one visits a thread and tries to see new posts, it jumps back to three or 4 old posts and you have to make your way down to find the first new post.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can we just remove that Twitter inbed functionality?

If you get more than one or two tweets in a thread page, the thread becomes basically unreadable

I’ve given up on a number of threads just because when you get four or five tweets embedded in a row, there’s no point in trying to open it and figure out where the last unread post is

OP
OP
jf-08

jf-08

chohan
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is what our IT guy said. He basically lives on his computer and knows every in and out about this stuff. Iceman asked him awhile back and then asked him again and also linked him the thread with all the inquires about the loading time.

I guess what I said before was that it's not the forum/server that is at issue. The tweets are expanded by the browser of the people viewing the thread page.

There is real time needed for that. Someone suggested disabling tweet expansion entirely. That would prevent the page load time issue, but people wouldn't see the tweet content. They'd have to click thru for all of them. I don't know if that's what you want either.

So it's either click through all of them or have them populate. I know each will piss off 50% of the people so we are keeping it as it is.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can we make an effort then NOT to overload threads with Tweets?

If it is a video link, those are helpful. But just doing a tweet to display an image is not helpful - you can always right-click, copy image address, and post that.

Same with posting a tweet that just mostly directs you to a link - just post the link directly with some commentary.

OP
OP
jf-08

jf-08

chohan
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can we make an effort then NOT to overload threads with Tweets?

If it is a video link, those are helpful. But just doing a tweet to display an image is not helpful - you can always right-click, copy image address, and post that.

Same with posting a tweet that just mostly directs you to a link - just post the link directly with some commentary.
Sounds good to me.