JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Last edited:

moosehead

All Star
Reaction score
17 UDFA signed per Darren Urban. Sorry, can't post links yet

There was plenty of pre-draft talk about Arizona State linebacker Vontaze Burfict and where he might land (and for those who don’t know, Burfict was the one-time first-round candidate who ended up going undrafted and signing with the Bengals.) But for all of Burfict’s hype, many thought he wasn’t even the best linebacker at ASU. That nod usually went to Colin Parker, who was one of 17 undrafted rookie free agents the Cards came to terms with:
  • WR Stanley Arukwe, Troy
  • LB Broderick Binns, Iowa
  • WR LaRon Byrd, Miami
  • G Braeden Clayson, Idaho State
  • FB Jared Crank, Purdue
  • G Blake DeChristopher, Virginia Tech
  • DE Tevita Finau, Utah
  • S Blake Gideon, Texas
  • WR Tre Gray, Richmond
  • LB Marcus McGraw, Houston
  • LB Zach Nash, Sacramento State
  • CB James Nixon, California (Pa.)
  • DE Conrad Obi, Colorado
  • LB Paul Vassallo, Arizona
  • C Scott Wedige, Northern Illinois
  • WR Marc Wilson, St. Anselm
And, of course, Parker from ASU.
The list is heavy on linebackers, not a shock after the team did not draft one this past weekend. The number brings the roster total to 85, leaving five spots still open for additions, whether they are veterans or otherwise. Because of the rookie minicamp in two weeks, the Cards will also be bringing in a handful of other young players for tryouts, making sure they have enough bodies to run the practices and taking a looksee at some guys.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
The list is heavy on linebackers, not a shock after the team did not draft one this past weekend.

Don't teams also bring in more LBs as they're looking for possible Special Teams players. I believe teams use more LBs on kicking teams than other positions.

And of course they need some of these guys for the kicking teams so none of the real players get hurt doing it in preseason. :)

No matter what happens it will look good on their resume. Football related or otherwise.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The numbers for LB (played DE in college) Zach Nash suggest he was a man amongst boys in the Big Sky Conference. He recorded 29.5 sacks for his college career with his season high coming his junior year with 13. He's got Clay Matthews size at 6'4" 260, but is a bit slower. He should be interesting to follow.

A fan who cares

Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks for the link.

Does anyone know the statistics for UDFA's making an NFL team? (practice squad included) I ask because we all know about how Victor Cruz made the team and was pretty good, and I think the 'Hawks had a good receiver to. Mike Adams is also an undrafted guy, and Stephan Williams.

Based on what little I know, I guess there's about 1-2 players every year that make the team undrafted because of the Practice squad. I really want to see S. Williams become an impact player. I know he impressed the year he was signed, but this being his 3rd year I'm just hoping any talent he has will bear fruit.

Longcolts

Registered
Reaction score
When it comes to Stephen Williams I just can't understand how he can seem to look so good in preseason, but not make the roster because he just seems to fade away the closer we get to the regular season.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Thanks for the link.

Does anyone know the statistics for UDFA's making an NFL team? (practice squad included) I ask because we all know about how Victor Cruz made the team and was pretty good, and I think the 'Hawks had a good receiver to. Mike Adams is also an undrafted guy, and Stephan Williams.

Based on what little I know, I guess there's about 1-2 players every year that make the team undrafted because of the Practice squad. I really want to see S. Williams become an impact player. I know he impressed the year he was signed, but this being his 3rd year I'm just hoping any talent he has will bear fruit.

Last season we had 11 UDFA's on the roster plus Graham, Feeley and Leach. Paris Lenon was undrafted! Always have to remember that to fill the 53 with draft picks you would have to hit on 7 picks each year for 7.5 drafts. Most teams don't even have most of the guys they drafted just 4 years ago. So there's always room for UDFA's on many teams.

Last edited:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When it comes to Stephen Williams I just can't understand how he can seem to look so good in preseason, but not make the roster because he just seems to fade away the closer we get to the regular season.

He didn't know the playbook and was in the wrong spot on the field a few times from what I remember.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Without getting specific, there were at least 3 UDFA's rumored to be coming here who have "off the field baggage" (no shows, suspensions, arrests etc.).

I guess the expanded roster allows for more wriggle room to take a risk or two.

Reallly?

Then the Cardinals should sign Damarlo Belcher, WR. All the skill in the world, but dumb as a brick.

POISON

Formerly known as Okieguy
Reaction score
I heard Richetti Jones signed according to the Oklahoman, the local fishwrap here??? Any news?? Really got better later his senior year...

Doc Cardinal

Old Fart
Reaction score
You local guys should know this.

What's the chance of linebacker Parker from ASU making the team?

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I heard Richetti Jones signed according to the Oklahoman, the local fishwrap here??? Any news?? Really got better later his senior year...
There were 2 guys who were coming in for try outs who weren't on th list of signees. Two or three others mentioned by various sources also weren't on the list. Jones was one of them. Maybe they're coming in for tryouts too. Anyone know?

Longcolts

Registered
Reaction score
He didn't know the playbook and was in the wrong spot on the field a few times from what I remember.

That makes sense, but you would think one of the vets would sorta take him under their wing. It's not like he's threatening on of the top 4 spots.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05