Underrated Movies

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Things to do in Denver when You're Dead

one word "Buckwheats"

Love that movie. I think 12 people have seen it.

Great cast.

Andy Garcia
Christopher Lloyd
Steve Buscemi
Christopher Walken
Treat Williams
Jack Warden
William Forsythe

et al

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The movie Fandango. Competed with The Big Chill ( totally Over rated ) as it came out at the same time. The musical score , in Fandango , was better. Pat Metheney and Lyle Mays did much of the music. One of the few Kevin Costner movies, I could tolerate him in.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089126/

You must be registered for see images attach

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Favorite Year.

Peter O'Toole was incredible in that.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The movie Fandango. Competed with The Big Chill ( totally Over rated ) as it came out at the same time. The musical score , in Fandango , was better. Pat Metheney and Lyle Mays did much of the music. One of the few Kevin Costner movies, I could tolerate him in.

whoa... he missed the mattress.

classic movie. good call Wally.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Go - Doug Liman's follow up to Swingers doesn't get nearly the same hipster cred but is just as good IMO. A classic.

Crank 2 - these filmmakers movie knew EXACTLY what this movie was. It took a decent off the wall action movie and knew that if it was going to make a sequel, it would have to go so ridiculously over the top that you couldn't believe your own eyes... and then pulled it off. Freaking ridiculous.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
whoa... he missed the mattress.

classic movie. good call Wally.

I couldn't get past the premise of that movie. A bottle of champagne buried in the Mohave desert? Ridiculous. It only gets to about 120 degrees out there. That bottle would have exploded long before they ever got there to dig it up.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Go - Doug Liman's follow up to Swingers doesn't get nearly the same hipster cred but is just as good IMO. A classic.

Go's only problem is it felt like four different directors involved. Sort of like Four Rooms. It was pretty good, though. I'll give you that.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Serenity
Dark City
The Road
Oscar
The Crow
Big Trouble in Little China
The Game
Office Space
I love you man

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just curious, what is your definition of underrated?

And, um... OSCAR? ;)

Movies that didn't get alot of love by the masses or movies that were not rated well overall by critics but I thought were good. I threw in a couple movies were they were just written off as genre fodder as well. Movies can be "cult" favorites but still be underrated IMO.

And...yes I thought Oscar was underrated. Great cast and a very funny movie IMO. It got a bad rap because people didn't like Stalone in the lead. I can't tell you how many times that movie has come on and I have sat with people seeing it for the first time and they say "that was pretty funny" or something like that. Go ahead...make fun but I still find it hilarious.:D

Last edited:

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Movies that didn't get alot of love by the masses or movies that were not rated well overall by critics but I thought were good. I threw in a couple movies were they were just written off as genre fodder as well. Movies can be "cult" favorites but still be underrated IMO.

And...yes I thought Oscar was underrated. Great cast and a very funny movie IMO. It got a bad rap because people didn't like Stalone in the lead. I can't tell you how many times that movie has come on and I have sat with people seeing it for the first time and they say "that was pretty funny" or something like that. Go ahead...make fun but I still find it hilarious.:D
What is your favorite part of Oscar? When he yells "stop or my mom will shoot?" OR when he dresses up as a cowboy?

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
And...yes I thought Oscar was underrated. Great cast and a very funny movie IMO. It got a bad rap because people didn't like Stallone in the lead. I can't tell you how many times that movie has come on and I have sat with people seeing it for the first time and they say "that was pretty funny" or something like that. Go ahead...make fun but I still find it hilarious.:D

It's worth watching just for Ornella Muti and Marisa Tomei. :devil:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

you hit the g-d damn nail on the head. fandango gotta be number one. still holds up today.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
can't believe no Clay Pigeons - great cast, darkly hilarious

king of kong: fistful of quarters (does a documentary count?)

just watched Choke. Fight Club received a ton of (deserved) acclaim, but this pahaluik (sp?) based movie was darkly terrific as well. just watched last night for the first time.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is your favorite part of Oscar? When he yells "stop or my mom will shoot?" OR when he dresses up as a cowboy?

Actually, I'm rather fond of Oscar myself and I'm pretty sure you're confusing it with a different failed Stallone comedy. Daren is right, the movie is pretty funny and it has a solid comedy cast. A more appropriate reference to the movie would be something like "Don't call me Boss".

Steve

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Actually, I'm rather fond of Oscar myself and I'm pretty sure you're confusing it with a different failed Stallone comedy. Daren is right, the movie is pretty funny and it has a solid comedy cast. A more appropriate reference to the movie would be something like "Don't call me Boss".

Steve

I'm pretty sure Mulli is just being silly. I thought Oscar was funny too.

I haven't seen Cadence since it was on HBO back in '93, but I remember thinking it was pretty underrated.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

Steve

He was sarcastically referring to two other Stallone comedies: Stop, Or My Mom Will Shoot! and Rhinestone.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure Mulli is just being silly. I thought Oscar was funny too.

I suspected as much since he referenced Rhinestone to boot but it offered a reasonable lead-in to add my two cents worth to the topic. I really love that cast, it has everyone that was almost someone plus a few real stars. People such as Peter Riegert, Tim Curry, Don Ameche, Vincent Spano, Chazz Palminteri, Kurtwood Smith, Yvonne De Carlo, Ken Howard, William Atherton, Harry Shearer, Art LaFleur, Kirk Douglas and a few others I'm forgetting.

Steve

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He was sarcastically referring to two other Stallone comedies: Stop, Or My Mom Will Shoot! and Rhinestone.

I didn't see your response until after my response as I was interrupted by a phone call. Now, it just looks like I needed help.:)

Steve

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser