Undrafted 'Little Fitzgerald' Byrd exhibits some of idol's skills

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Nice read...

LaRon Byrd had his share of offers to sign with NFL teams after he was bypassed in this year's draft. But there was only one that truly interested the wide receiver from the University of Miami.

It was the Cardinals.

Wait, the Cardinals? They already have a perennial Pro Bowl receiver in Larry Fitzgerald and just spent their first-round pick on another receiver, Notre Dame's Michael Floyd.

Byrd text messages Fitzgerald often, seeking tips and answers about certain pass routes or blocking scenarios.
"He's been great. I know he's a busy guy, but there's not one time I texted him where he didn't reply back," Byrd said. "He's never pushed me to the side, so I'm very appreciative of him. He has my utmost respect."
Byrd turned heads during the Cardinals' series of minicamps, making several impressive catches.

He reminded some observers of Fitzgerald with his jumping ability and sure-handedness.

The Cardinals have a recent history for keeping undrafted free-agent receivers on the roster beyond training camp.
Byrd hopes that trend continues with him, even if they just drafted Floyd to be their No. 2 wideout.

"I don't fear competition," he said. "Like my mom always said, 'the cream rises to the top,' and as long as I'm doing what I'm supposed to do and making plays, I know the coaches will recognize that.
"I'm a guy nobody knew about, but the way I look at it is the only thing different from a free agent and a first-round pick is the money. You still have to play football."

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/sports/car...exhibits-some-idols-skills.html#ixzz1zIOHY8iw

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This guy stood out during fan fest with s couple nice catches

InfiniteRed

Veteran
Reaction score
If he manages to become our 3rd WR down the line, we'd have a very tall WR core.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Every year we seem to have a WR who stands out in the off and preseason, including TC. But it doesn't seem to translate to the playing field. Maybe Byrd will be different. Looking forward to the HOF game.

MoeIsBetter

SPA Co-Commishioner
Reaction score
Yeah I also think he stuck out when watching him play.

Funny story: I was watching a Miami Hurricane game very early on in the season this year. I had made a joke to a buddy that LaRon Byrd looked a lot like Larry Fitzgerald before he even started playing. He ended up catching a couple pretty impressive catches the rest of the afternoon my little joke was "I get to watch guys play like my Cardinals even when it's not on Sundays".

Months and months go by and we go through the draft. A couple days later I'm talking to the same buddy I had over to watch that Hurricanes game months prior. I make another comment about "Little Larry Fitz" and my friend tells me with a straight face "I think you guy's signed that kid...". I looked it up and he was right! We had signed this kid!

:)

Glad to see he is making enough plays to garner some attention. I think Stephen Williams has been given every chance in the world to make an impact, and so far, he has done very little to make me say "one more year". If LaRon Byrd can make the same impact, I'd pull the trigger. Definitely just became a player to pay attention to during camp though. I love these undrafted stories! Makes these meaningless games FAR more enjoyable.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I love it. "Little" Fitzgerald is 6'4" 220 "Big" Fitzgerald is 6'3" 218.

Well, K9 has been wondering who was going to be the Cardinals annual pre season all pro wide receiver. Looks like we've found him.

Bartel to Byrd. Pre Season Super Bowl BABY! :koolaid:

MoeIsBetter

SPA Co-Commishioner
Reaction score
I love it. "Little" Fitzgerald is 6'4" 220 "Big" Fitzgerald is 6'3" 218.

Well, K9 has been wondering who was going to be the Cardinals annual pre season all pro wide receiver. Looks like we've found him.

Bartel to Byrd. Pre Season Super Bowl BABY! :koolaid:

Are you KIDDING me?! You've GOT to be freaking kidding me!! Bartel?!?! #GoLindley!!

:D

Tagged under: PreSeason, Stupid, Arguments, Go, Cardinals

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Are you KIDDING me?! You've GOT to be freaking kidding me!! Bartel?!?! #GoLindley!!

Tagged under: PreSeason, Stupid, Arguments, Go, Cardinals

Forget Lindley. Bartel is the man in preseason. The last three years combined Bartel is 67-91-876 yards with 7 TDs and 2INTs for a QB passer rating of 120.03!!!!!!!

seesred

Reaction score
I took notice of number 17 at fan fest. He caught everything and made a couple of great grabs. I hope he makes it! Good size, quick.

GBR

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Byrd text messages Fitzgerald often, seeking tips and answers about certain pass routes or blocking scenarios.
"He's been great. I know he's a busy guy, but there's not one time I texted him where he didn't reply back," Byrd said. "He's never pushed me to the side, so I'm very appreciative of him. He has my utmost respect."

This says even more to me about Fitz. I guess it's old hat by now to hear this type of stuff coming from Fitzgerald and everyone just kind of nods and says yep, that's Fitz. Never ceases to impress me. I got friends who don't even return texts and we're talking about one of the best players in the NFL. I know people make jokes about Fitz supposedly being involved in our draft, or wanting Kevin Kolb, but this is a guy who truly cares about the long-term success of the Cardinals. He truly wants us to be good after he's gone. He wants to leave a positive imprint on the franchise.

I know I was all bent about Fitz ranking 7th in the top 100 behind Megatron, but this is part of why. There's more to just plays and playing the game and being awesome even though you have two craptastic QBs throwing you the ball--it's about instilling a productive, winning attitude throughout the team. Fitz does that all across the board. If he's not on the sidelines telling the coaches Beanie is about to break a record, he's handing Bartell a TD ball after throwing his first TD, or playing all-world in a meaningless game against Seattle, even though every throw was barely on his fingertips. Fitz even runs camps every year so badasses like Megatron can come and compete against the best athletes in the world.

I keep saying this but I'll say it again because it bothers me: we have one of the best football players, not just WR, but football players in the NFL and we can't waste his HOF time with us. Can't waste it with bad QB play. I give the coaches and management credit for trying to get Manning, that tells me how much they recognize. But they gotta get some talent throwing this dude the ball before his best years are behind him.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Homerism runnin wild in here. Talent of that level doesnt stay hidden. "Fitz' brother in laws nephew" wouldve been drafted in the 1st if he was of that caliber.

Theres only 1 Fitz, and nobody comes close. Let alone an UFA.

But hes a big body and weve always got room for those. We need to clena house with this old WR squad. Both Williams, Demarco, whoever else. All those guys are bums. They all proved to be good in preseason, disappear in regular season.

52brandon

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Homerism runnin wild in here. Talent of that level doesnt stay hidden. "Fitz' brother in laws nephew" wouldve been drafted in the 1st if he was of that caliber.

Theres only 1 Fitz, and nobody comes close. Let alone an UFA.

But hes a big body and weve always got room for those. We need to clena house with this old WR squad. Both Williams, Demarco, whoever else. All those guys are bums. They all proved to be good in preseason, disappear in regular season.
Brady? Warner?

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Arian Foster?

...it DOES happen, but granted, not all that often.

Victor Cruz, Marques Colston, Wes Welker....

But we all know that LaRon Bryd is just going to be our annual PreSeason Wonder at WR and then fade away never to be heard from again. Just like Dominique Byrd.

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I keep saying this but I'll say it again because it bothers me: we have one of the best football players, not just WR, but football players in the NFL and we can't waste his HOF time with us. Can't waste it with bad QB play. I give the coaches and management credit for trying to get Manning, that tells me how much they recognize. But they gotta get some talent throwing this dude the ball before his best years are behind him.

Yep. :thumbup:

I was going to write pretty much the same thing in your Larry Fitzgerald thread.