Update on Travis Henty from a Bills fan. 3-30-05.

PIZ

Reaction score
Update on Travis Henry from a Bills fan. 3-30-05.

Tom Donahoe (Bills GM) was on Sirius radio last night and he said the reason the deal hasn't happened yet is because ARIZONA wants Travis Henry AND MORE, that Arizona will not accept a one for one trade. Buffalo apparently also wants Shelton and a swap of 2nd rounders. Basically, Donahoe said, nothing probably will happen until the draft, UNLESS someone blinks.

Last edited:

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If TD is going to negotiate in the media, the Cards should increase their demand and/ or tell the Bills to forget the whole thing.

OP
OP
P

PIZ

Reaction score
Mulli808 said:
If TD is going to negotiate in the media, the Cards should increase their demand and/ or tell the Bills to forget the whole thing.

I'd say forget the whole thing too. Arizona is not going to get anything more than just Henry.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
PIZ said:
I'd say forget the whole thing too. Arizona is not going to get anything more than just Henry.
No, it doesn't look like it from Buffalo.

We just ship LJ to Miami for Surtain and take a RB at #8. Right now, it looks like both Cadillac and Benson are there at #8 and that Rolle is probably gone, så BAP at #8 would in fact be a RB anyway.

We have plenty of cap room and LJ is the best value Miami will see for Surtain (I rate it at a mid-low 2nd rounder).

Last edited:

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
PIZ said:

And Buffalo isn't getting anything more than Shelton. Should be a straight up trade with no draft picks involved.

OP
OP
P

PIZ

Reaction score
Scott MS said:
And Buffalo isn't getting anything more than Shelton. Should be a straight up trade with no draft picks involved.

At this point, I'd be happy with that. We get our LT or at least an o-lineman and Arizona has flexibility with the 8 pick.

Mrospi

Reaction score
And Buffalo dioesn't even have Henry next year unless they do a deal..... they have no strength on their side..... Cards are dealing from strength i agree increase the price that Buffalo has to pay :thumbup:

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Forget about swapping second rounders. Doesn't that make it that BUFFALO wants more? :shrug:

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good. We should get more.

I don't like Shelton for Henry.
:brokenrecord:

JasonKGME

I'm a uncle's monkey??
Reaction score
D-Dogg said:
Forget about swapping second rounders. Doesn't that make it that BUFFALO wants more? :shrug:

I think the concept here is that neither team wants to do a straight swap.

Buffalo wants LJ and swap of 2nd rounders for Henry

Arizona wants Henry & probably a 2nd day pick for LJ Shelton.

Meating in the middle straight swap would be the best route.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's what insiders says.

Mar. 31 - The Cardinals remain the favorite to land disgruntled Bills running back Travis Henry, but the long-rumored trade is more complicated than a straight-up swap between Henry and Cardinals tackle L.J. Shelton.
The Bills are asking the Cardinals to switch spots in the second round of the draft, and the Cardinals now want for more than just Henry in return, reports The Arizona Republic.

Also complicating matters is status of Henry's contract. He has one year left on his deal, and the Cardinals would want to sign him to a long-term contract before make a trade.

So from that the reason we want "more" is that Buffalo wants to swap 2nd rounders and I assume this means we WOULD do that, but Buffalo would have to give us more than just Henry, presumably another pick later.

The part about the contract again we've heard so many different versions who knows. Last I read was we didn't want to extend his contract we wanted him to play on his existing contract so we could evaluate him and decide during the season if we wanted to extend him, or let him walk. Given we'd be trading Shelton and flopping 2nd rounders I guess that implies we're now convinced Henry is going to be around a few years, and that's why we want an extension in place?

black

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Here's what insiders says.

Mar. 31 - The Cardinals remain the favorite to land disgruntled Bills running back Travis Henry, but the long-rumored trade is more complicated than a straight-up swap between Henry and Cardinals tackle L.J. Shelton.
The Bills are asking the Cardinals to switch spots in the second round of the draft, and the Cardinals now want for more than just Henry in return, reports The Arizona Republic.

Also complicating matters is status of Henry's contract. He has one year left on his deal, and the Cardinals would want to sign him to a long-term contract before make a trade.

So from that the reason we want "more" is that Buffalo wants to swap 2nd rounders and I assume this means we WOULD do that, but Buffalo would have to give us more than just Henry, presumably another pick later.

The part about the contract again we've heard so many different versions who knows. Last I read was we didn't want to extend his contract we wanted him to play on his existing contract so we could evaluate him and decide during the season if we wanted to extend him, or let him walk. Given we'd be trading Shelton and flopping 2nd rounders I guess that implies we're now convinced Henry is going to be around a few years, and that's why we want an extension in place?
This is why player for player trades are uncommon in the NFL.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
H

I thought (mostly according to K9) that it was the otherway around--that the cards didn't want him to extend, but rather wanted him to play out his final year. (In fact, K9, you were so insistant on it, you were sort of jerky about it.)

Makes sense to me that we'd want to keep our spot in the second and want HEnry to sign up for a long-haul. We need as many impact players as we can get at the top of this draft and we don't need a one-year stop-gap at RB.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Bills are asking the Cardinals to switch spots in the second round of the draft, and the Cardinals now want for more than just Henry in return, reports
Sounds like posturing. My guess is that (a) one of the two teams (probably the Cardinals) wanted to do a player for player swap, (b) the other team countered by demanding a swap of picks and (c) the first team then countered with their own demand that they get something extra besides the player - in order to get the deal back to "player for player."

I peg this deal as having a 60-65% chance of happening.

Last edited:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I like that we're demanding more. If they don't agree, we walk, they get nothing, and have a mess on their hands. We have the more powerful bargaining position, so they can just suck it. Worst case is we draft a RB, best case is we trade LJ for Henry and a 2nd day pick. Win-win to me!

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
PIZ said:
Tom Donahoe (Bills GM) was on Sirius radio last night and he said the reason the deal hasn't happened yet is because ARIZONA wants Travis Henry AND MORE, that Arizona will not accept a one for one trade. Buffalo apparently also wants Shelton and a swap of 2nd rounders. Basically, Donahoe said, nothing probably will happen until the draft, UNLESS someone blinks.

This make no sense... you say the reason is Az wants more, then go on to say Buff wants more. Which is it? Could be both, but it is dumb for Donahoe to say "the whole reason is AZ wants Henry and X, not one for one. By the way, we don't want to do one for one either, we want Shelton and Y"

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
We should be asking for more, LJ is a good tackle and can always convert to guard or stay at tackle and let Ross play guard. Henry has said he will not play for the Bills again, so we have all the leverage. The thought of them moving up in the 2nd is ridiculous, i have never really liked Henry and apparently no one else around the league does either. This draft is RB heavy and we can trade LJ for a 2nd rounder and get JJ Arrington who would have been a round one pick last draft if he came out last year after having a season like this past one.

seesred

Reaction score
Why would we take henry without negotiating a new contract first.,If we don't do that and don't take a top RB because we have Henry we may lose twice. WE need to make up our minds ( and probably have) and go from there.My guess hold onto your seat within 24 hrs from draft day. Things might be jumping all over the NFL. There is Surtain, Alexander, Travis, and others all just waiting in the bushes, waiting for the right time to pull the trigger. It's high noon and Green and Graves are talking and they say they will...???????????

GBR
In Green we trust

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pariah said:
I thought (mostly according to K9) that it was the otherway around--that the cards didn't want him to extend, but rather wanted him to play out his final year. (In fact, K9, you were so insistant on it, you were sort of jerky about it.)

Makes sense to me that we'd want to keep our spot in the second and want HEnry to sign up for a long-haul. We need as many impact players as we can get at the top of this draft and we don't need a one-year stop-gap at RB.

Based on the Green on radio 910 thread he repeated that he's not interested in extending Henry until he proves himself.

That's sort of what I would do, I wouldn't pursue Henry as a longterm fix but there's merit to getting him and if he's playing well extending him.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
seesred said:
Why would we take henry without negotiating a new contract first.,If we don't do that and don't take a top RB because we have Henry we may lose twice. WE need to make up our minds ( and probably have) and go from there.My guess hold onto your seat within 24 hrs from draft day. Things might be jumping all over the NFL. There is Surtain, Alexander, Travis, and others all just waiting in the bushes, waiting for the right time to pull the trigger. It's high noon and Green and Graves are talking and they say they will...???????????

GBR
In Green we trust

Because Henry has had 2 fairly serious injuries the last 2 years, a stress fracture and torn ligaments in his ankle. He's coming off the worst year of his career, and he was injured. So while Green may like Henry as a back, realistically we don't know what we'd be getting. His injury wasn't as bad as say Shipp's, but to commit to a long term deal with a big bonus and then find out he's not the same player would be a mistake.

If he shows up, works hard, and plays well, we can extend him midseason.

I was born in Missouri you gotta show me.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Because Henry has had 2 fairly serious injuries the last 2 years, a stress fracture and torn ligaments in his ankle. He's coming off the worst year of his career, and he was injured. So while Green may like Henry as a back, realistically we don't know what we'd be getting. His injury wasn't as bad as say Shipp's, but to commit to a long term deal with a big bonus and then find out he's not the same player would be a mistake.

If he shows up, works hard, and plays well, we can extend him midseason.

I was born in Missouri you gotta show me.

I agree, and if Henry blows up we could alway put the "F" tag on him to keep him.

DMBills36

can't stop this
Reaction score
BigDavis75 said:
We should be asking for more, LJ is a good tackle and can always convert to guard or stay at tackle and let Ross play guard. Henry has said he will not play for the Bills again, so we have all the leverage. The thought of them moving up in the 2nd is ridiculous, i have never really liked Henry and apparently no one else around the league does either. This draft is RB heavy and we can trade LJ for a 2nd rounder and get JJ Arrington who would have been a round one pick last draft if he came out last year after having a season like this past one.

You don't really have any leverage when Henry is under contract and will be expected to return.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan