Update on Travis Henty from a Bills fan. 3-30-05.

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DMBills36 said:
You don't really have any leverage when Henry is under contract and will be expected to return.

Expectations and reality are two different things.

The Cards have the ultimate leverage in this negotiation, the ability to walk away and not be hurt by not making the trade. Can the Bills honestly say the same?

The Shark

DMBills36

can't stop this
Reaction score
jefftheshark said:
Expectations and reality are two different things.

The Cards have the ultimate leverage in this negotiation, the ability to walk away and not be hurt by not making the trade. Can the Bills honestly say the same?

The Shark

Yes, we can. Our line will be fine without Shelton. We move Teague out to LT and have Tucker play Center. We also just bolstered our line with the signing of Anderson. Our line also has increased depth with the signing of Gandy. On top of all this, we have one of the greatest offensive line coaches in Jim McNally. I do agree that expectations and reality are different. Who knows, Henry may stick to his word and refrain from participating at all (should we not find a suitable deal). But like Donahoe said, that would be career suicide. Donahoe plays situations like this with much care. He can amaze us sometimes, playing free agency and the draft like a chess match in which he is often the victor. Don't expect Donahoe to step down.

I understand circumstances, but Henry is a proven back who can rush for 1300 yards. He can play injured, still getting as many yards as other healthy backs in the league. The guy is tough as nails. Shelton is a good LT, but he can't even get a starting job at a team that (no offense) wasn't all that impressive last year. Many of us are expecting a deal to go through on draft day between Shelton and Henry after the top backs in the draft are gone.

Green would probably cut Shelton if he can't trade him, right? I mean, he doesn't want to pay $3 million for a backup. We can always pick him up then, if he were cut, if we really wanted to.

Last edited:

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
DMBills36 said:
Green would probably cut Shelton if he can't trade him, right? I mean, he doesn't want to pay $3 million for a backup. We can always pick him up then, if he were cut, if we really wanted to.

First of all he wont be cut. We have plenty of cap space with Shelton on the roster 3 mill isnt really that much.

And even if he was cut, there is no way Buffalo can get into a bidding war for him and still get him for only 3 mill. He will cost more then 3 mill if he is cut and goes to FA. Trading for him is the only way you can get him for 3 mill a year and not have competition for his services.

As for Benny Anderson the guy is a average backup at best.

DMBills36

can't stop this
Reaction score
joeshmo said:
First of all he wont be cut. We have plenty of cap space with Shelton on the roster 3 mill isnt really that much.

And even if he was cut, there is no way Buffalo can get into a bidding war for him and still get him for only 3 mill. He will cost more then 3 mill if he is cut and goes to FA. Trading for him is the only way you can get him for 3 mill a year and not have competition for his services.

As for Benny Anderson the guy is a average backup at best.

Ok, you're right about what would happen if he were cut. He would be expensive and Donahoe would not participate in a bidding war.

About Anderson, that is merely your opinion. He is a great run blocker. He only allowed something like 4 sacks last season (with the help of his supporting cast). The only reason he is looked at as average is due to his lack in ability at pass protection and his somewhat poor footwork. Most of the downsides are due to his weight. He will begin working out Monday and is extremely excited to be in Buffalo. He cancelled meetings with Carolina and Tampa because he wants to be here. Watch him have a great offseason and get his weight down - something that will help him to have a great year. McNally will go great things with him.

Last edited:

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good points DM, however:

1 - While you are right in the statement that your team will not collapse if Shelton is not on board, the Bills options are now severely limited, in both free agency and the draft, for obtaining a player of Shelton’s caliber.

2 - A couple of years ago, we Card fans saw how a player (S. Rice) can show up to play (contract-wise), while still not showing up to play (on the field). Henry has one year left on his deal, and unless the Bills plan to franchise him (doubtful), Donahoe is mostly spouting hot air.

3 - Pre-Green there would have been a good chance that Donahoe would have fleeced the Cards in this deal. Those days seem to, mercifully, be gone.

4 - Shelton has enough game film on his play to speak for itself. Both Henry and Shelton have question marks, which makes this trade so even.

5 - There is no chance that Shelton will be cut. He will be used as he was last year until his contract runs out.

Thanks for your thoughts, I hope whatever way this goes that both teams benefit.

The Shark

DMBills36

can't stop this
Reaction score
jefftheshark said:
Good points DM, however:

1 - While you are right in the statement that your team will not collapse if Shelton is not on board, the Bills options are now severely limited, in both free agency and the draft, for obtaining a player of Shelton’s caliber.

2 - A couple of years ago, we Card fans saw how a player (S. Rice) can show up to play (contract-wise), while still not showing up to play (on the field). Henry has one year left on his deal, and unless the Bills plan to franchise him (doubtful), Donahoe is mostly spouting hot air.

3 - Pre-Green there would have been a good chance that Donahoe would have fleeced the Cards in this deal. Those days seem to, mercifully, be gone.

4 - Shelton has enough game film on his play to speak for itself. Both Henry and Shelton have question marks, which makes this trade so even.

5 - There is no chance that Shelton will be cut. He will be used as he was last year until his contract runs out.

Thanks for your thoughts, I hope whatever way this goes that both teams benefit.

The Shark

I agree with pretty much everything you said. I do think, though, that if Henry returns to Buffalo and McGahee gets hurt, Henry will be playing to prove his worth in 2006 free agency. If he's trying to get good deals thrown at him, he better come in and play hard. Then again, he isn't the smartest guy, so maybe he is dumb enough to half-ass it.

Honestly, I think any trade will come down to draft day. I would definitely be satisfied with a straight-up swap. It would be great for both teams.

Last edited:

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
DMBills36 said:
About Anderson, that is merely your opinion. He is a great run blocker. He only allowed something like 4 sacks last season (with the help of his supporting cast).

For a gaurd, 4 sacks sucks. So does 6 penalties.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan