USA Basketball thread...

BOLDIN

Rookie
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Watching USA basketball against Puerto Rico. Did anyone see that crossover to reverse layup by Joe Johnson?

hawaiiansun

Registered
Reaction score
that was actually pretty gay. no foul on puerto rico just a basic reverse lay in whoop dee doo.

Phxchris1989

Registered
Reaction score
So far we have a pretty good team, we just really need to work on our 3 point shooting. Wow, 101 - 62 with 5:34 left. Is it too soon too say that we killed them?

Final score- 114-69. Wow, congrats team USA!!!

Last edited:

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
amareq said:
that was actually pretty gay. no foul on puerto rico just a basic reverse lay in whoop dee doo.

okay :rolleyes:.

JonnySuns

Reaction score
I gotta say I thought that was a sweet move, loved the way he carried it up one handed and flipped that puppy in. Nice work JJ.

sunsfn

Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by amareq
can tell you guys have never played basketball before.

Go away.

ditto!!

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That move by JJ was sweet, that's why the crowd ooed and awed. It was so smooth, it looked effortless. I forgot how silky the guy was.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
amareq said:

Apparently neither has Carmelo Anthony from the reaction he had to that move.

nowagimp

Reaction score
amareq said:

Agreed, there was no D on that play at all. JJ did look smooth in the game, but did have a few week passes. I thought the us was playing terribly until that run at the end of the first half when they forced all those turnovers and scored off of them. the passing game looked terrible until the defense clamped down. Most of these guys were reverting to their one-on-one instincts util the D saved the day, then everything got loose. I think the US team is weak on perimeter shooters and they will be given those shots in preference to the penetrations. Lets face it, it was Daniel Santiago and Corlos arroyo against an all star team and the all star team should win by blowout. The sad thing is that it was the US using depth and defense that broke the game open, not superstar play or matchup advantages.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
nowagimp said:
The sad thing is that it was the US using depth and defense that broke the game open, not superstar play or matchup advantages.

The good news is that's exactly how this team was put together. They wanted guys who would play defense, and were taking the less-than-risky gamble that the US second-teamers could shut down any other country's second-teamers. The US team specifically chose interchangeable pieces for multiple lineups and so the whole team remains fresh to play hard defense for the whole game.

I thought Paul looked under lock and chain. I think we he gets a better handle on personnel, he'll make much more of an impact getting guys open looks. It's not a drive-and-kick game at the int'l level, but the pick-and-rolls, pick-and-pops, screen game are all there for him to get guys better looks. Last night you could tell the players weren't all on the same page on offense ... and maybe it's going to take some time to buy into what D'Antoni wants them to do.

That said, I think it was very interesting watching Wade play the 4, but I would be tempted to play this lineup more:

PG: Chris Paul
SG: Dwane Wade
SF: Bruce Bowen
PF: Elton Brand
C: Dwight Howard

Let Wade and Brand carry the offense while playing some MONSTER defense. I also could stand to see Miller get some more minutes. He's perfect for this type of basketball yet he brings the right kind of intensity you'd expect from an American player.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
This was fun to watch. I can’t wait until their next game. I haven’t said that since 92.

nowagimp

Reaction score
amareq said:
do you guys have a life?

To many here there is no life without ball, and this is the offseason, so No. And yes,I have played alot of ball, but I will watch even a lousy warmup game instead of a stupid sitcom. Hopefully, the passing will get better, more crisp. The reverse layup by JJ wasnt all that great, it just looked so smooth, it was art in motion. I do miss JJ, but not for 70mil and dooming the team to a short bench.