USA vs Italy

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you guys are missing the point on the whole Marion thing - all I'm saying is that being on a USA team these days doesn't carry the allure of what it did even four years ago after humiliating defeats like today and our sixth place finish last time (2003 or 2002?) - that is all.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
Well, Tivo has the game waiting for me. Sounds like I will sure enjoy it....

Just please don't tell me international officials have the general distate for Americans that the rest of the world does :rolleyes:

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
ASUCHRIS said:
This game reminded me of an upset in the NCAA tournament. The international three is a joke, and the Italian team had one play, drive, kick out for three. Granted they made the shots, but it is crap basketball, exactly the crap that is ruining the college game. The U.S. looked admittedly bad, especially Carmello. The guy shoots every time he touches the ball. The U.S. looked horrendous defensively, and few players showed any fire.

Worst of all, the refs completely changed the game. After Amare's monster block, Lebron made a huge dunk, was fouled, and the refs called traveling, one of the worst calls I've ever seen, and changed the complexion of the game. The dunk would have cut it to ten, with momentum to the U.S. Numerous terrible calls were made, but the U.S. still lost the game based on their play, and incredibly lucky shooting by the Italians.

I agree with everything except that the Italian shooters were "lucky". Oh a few shots were, but mostly they simply hit open shots. Unfortunately, NBA players are just not used to that. They are not schooled in shooting and don't practice it 8 hours a day like Europeans do.

Of course the short 3 point line didn't help, but the Italians were hitting them from the parking lot because they practice shooting.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
you guys are missing the point on the whole Marion thing - all I'm saying is that being on a USA team these days doesn't carry the allure of what it did even four years ago after humiliating defeats like today and our sixth place finish last time (2003 or 2002?) - that is all.

By the same token, being an Allstar doens't mean a thing either.

Do you really think Francis deserved to be an allstar all these years? What about VC? Brad Miller 2 seasons ago? Paul Pierce last year?

The fans vote for popular players, not the best players. The coaches try to put the right people in, but are limited because of position requirements.

No rating system based on accomplishments is really any good. However, it is an accolade he has recieved, so it deserves mention.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:
Well, Tivo has the game waiting for me. Sounds like I will sure enjoy it....

Just please don't tell me international officials have the general distate for Americans that the rest of the world does :rolleyes:

they don't - the traveling call was questionable - but God forbid if these officials actually call the game by the rules rather than just letting our guys play street ball like is allowed in the NBA - We got our asses kicked plain and simple - the Italians made us look REALLY bad on defense and for us to only score like 70 points is just pathetic.

If people start bashing the refs - then I know this board will have gone the way of the Cards board. Today was embarassing and I actually enjoyed it - myabe it will be a freaking wakeup call to the douchebags who decided to stay home instead of representing their country.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
IMO players should have to tryout for the team to show some dedication, not be selected by some blue ribbon panel. I would rather watch a bunch of summer league players that plays as a team then listen to all the bull***t about who will agree to grace the team with their presence.

The way the team is selected is compromising USA basketball and it is embarassing.

And I don't know if Marion is a GREAT player or not but I can think of several players I would replace on this team before I replaced Marion based on his play.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:
By the same token, being an Allstar doens't mean a thing either.

Do you really think Francis deserved to be an allstar all these years? What about VC? Brad Miller 2 seasons ago? Paul Pierce last year?

The fans vote for popular players, not the best players. The coaches try to put the right people in, but are limited because of position requirements.

No rating system based on accomplishments is really any good. However, it is an accolade he has recieved, so it deserves mention.

totally agree on the All-Star thing - esepcially as far as the starting lineups go. The coaches selection carry much more weight IMO as do the end of the year All-NBA teams.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Lebron made a huge dunk, was fouled, and the refs called traveling, one of the worst calls I've ever seen

You must not watch much if that's one of the worst calls you've seen. It looked like a clear travel to me. I like LeBron James, but he walked. It probably would have been called even in the NBA.

Marbury still has no idea what to do against a zone. I've argued before that it was because his teammates (when he was on the Suns) didn't move, but now I'm not so sure that was the reason. It seemed like Duncan had good position a lot of the time, in particular.

The USA also got schooled on backdoor plays. It sort of reminded me of those overachieving Princeton teams under Carrill. Italy's players were short, white, and sneaky.

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Team USA needs Casey Jacobsen, Fred Hoiberg, Mike Bibby in the starting lineup with Amare and Duncan.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SirChaz said:
IMO players should have to tryout for the team to show some dedication, not be selected by some blue ribbon panel. I would rather watch a bunch of summer league players that plays as a team then listen to all the bull***t about who will agree to grace the team with their presence.

The way the team is selected is compromising USA basketball and it is embarassing.

And I don't know if Marion is a GREAT player or not but I can think of several players I would replace on this team before I replaced Marion based on his play.

I agree with the above - and my post wasn't meant to be a slam on Marion - it was meant to be a slam on the entire team and how Team USA obviously ain't what it used to be.

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I also missed their pride. Where was someone like Barkely that would hammer you down if you challenged him?
There was a flash when Amare stuffed that italian guy but nothing more.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
slinslin said:
Team USA needs Casey Jacobsen, Fred Hoiberg, Mike Bibby in the starting lineup with Amare and Duncan.

Casey Jacobsen? Can someone please tell me when Casey Jacobsen became this great outside shooter? Yeah he improved - but you guys are making it out like he's Steve Kerr or something.

What this team needs is the best players in the world playing - we don't have that - period. If this team threw Bibby, Ray Allen, Garnett, Duncan and Shaq out there - there'd be nothing to talk about because we'd be rolling everyone by 40 - but apparently representing your country just isn't important enough to those guys.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
elindholm said:
Lebron made a huge dunk, was fouled, and the refs called traveling, one of the worst calls I've ever seen

You must not watch much if that's one of the worst calls you've seen. It looked like a clear travel to me. I like LeBron James, but he walked. It probably would have been called even in the NBA.

Marbury still has no idea what to do against a zone. I've argued before that it was because his teammates (when he was on the Suns) didn't move, but now I'm not so sure that was the reason. It seemed like Duncan had good position a lot of the time, in particular.

The USA also got schooled on backdoor plays. It sort of reminded me of those overachieving Princeton teams under Carrill. Italy's players were short, white, and sneaky.

Interesting conclusion, perhaps it was a bit of exaggeration, but from what I saw, without any replays was James catch the ball, take one step and dunk. I agree, Marbury and Iverson were worthless in this game. Duncan was pretty much the only American to have a good game.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Anyone else think that somebody should have gotten in the face of the little Italian freak who bowed to the crowd? That was pretty insulting.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
I agree with the above - and my post wasn't meant to be a slam on Marion - it was meant to be a slam on the entire team and how Team USA obviously ain't what it used to be.

Yep, the USA does not have the talent gap they once enjoyed.

At some point all the American talent in the NBA may not be enough to win the gold medal. I think a radical shift in the mindset and player selection is required if the US wants to dominate this sport as they once did.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
they don't - the traveling call was questionable - but God forbid if these officials actually call the game by the rules rather than just letting our guys play street ball like is allowed in the NBA - We got our asses kicked plain and simple - the Italians made us look REALLY bad on defense and for us to only score like 70 points is just pathetic.

If people start bashing the refs - then I know this board will have gone the way of the Cards board. Today was embarassing and I actually enjoyed it - myabe it will be a freaking wakeup call to the douchebags who decided to stay home instead of representing their country.

The refs did not beat the USA team. The Italians played a fantastic game and the USA team never seemed to be able to get it together on either end of the court. The only impact the Refs had was to get into the player's heads a bit, which is another reason why their youth and inexperience was such a huge handicap.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
I agree with everything except that the Italian shooters were "lucky". Oh a few shots were, but mostly they simply hit open shots. Unfortunately, NBA players are just not used to that. They are not schooled in shooting and don't practice it 8 hours a day like Europeans do.

Of course the short 3 point line didn't help, but the Italians were hitting them from the parking lot because they practice shooting.

I guess I would agree with this, although some of the shots made were just ridiculous, as stated.

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Yeah it is the same crap I've seen from Marbury late in his Suns days.

When Amare played I saw him several times having good position and his defender sealed on his back. He commanded the ball but instead they were passing the ball around the top of the key without making anything happen.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
slinslin said:

When Bibby opted out of the national team, that's when I first predicted they would lose at the Olympics.

It's obvious that the US doesn't have a PG now, to say nothing of the shooting that they also don't have.

You know who else this team needs? Brad Miller. :shrug:

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Tim Duncan
Amare Stoudemire
Rashard Lewis
Brent Barry
Kirk Hinrich

That team would have been so much better and have clearly defined roles.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
ASUCHRIS said:
Interesting conclusion, perhaps it was a bit of exaggeration, but from what I saw, without any replays was James catch the ball, take one step and dunk. I agree, Marbury and Iverson were worthless in this game. Duncan was pretty much the only American to have a good game.

Marion played well too, IMO. So that's two. :p

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
ASUCHRIS said:
Anyone else think that somebody should have gotten in the face of the little Italian freak who bowed to the crowd? That was pretty insulting.

I think "getting in the face" of anyone would be a major improvement for this team.

I don't really take offense to the bow, I seem to remember Steve Smith and other Americans doing the same thing when up by 20. :shrug:

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think it was Bill Walton that mentioned the Italians play like the Dallas Mavericks did with Steve Nash. Considering that D'Antoni's coaching career was primarily in Italy, it makes you wonder if this is a preview. :thumbup:

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This was a practice game. Practice? You're talking about practice?