USA vs Lithuania for Bronze

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Duncan hits both. 104-96.

Jasikevicius almost loses the ball and misses 3.

Game over.

104-96 USA.

Without the 3pt line Team USA wins by 30+.

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
I wouldn't call a screen that would be called an illegal screen in NBA - a fundamental. USA might not of deserved to win but the officiating is a factor, not sending best players, sending average 3PT shooters, lack of practice, I could go on - USA didn't deserve to win but the NBA is fine as is, do we not forget that the so called - right way to play, International players ARE in NBA. The best Basketball athletes ARE in NBA - mixture is a good thing...

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would hate for the NBA game to turn into a 3 point shooting contest as obviously this is what Olympic basketball is all about. They need to lengthen the 3 point line in international play and perhaps we could adopt some of their rules. However, I would hate to allow goal tending as allowed in international play.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks slinslin for your comments about the game.

It really helped to get a flavor of the game for those of us who were not watching it live. :)

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
thanks for the recap.......

It's amazing Duncan almost fouls out of every game in the olympics and yet fouled out of less than a handful of games all of last season in the NBA. Biased officiating in the olympics......or is it biased officiating in the NBA........I say it's probably both.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's amazing Duncan almost fouls out of every game in the olympics and yet fouled out of less than a handful of games all of last season in the NBA. Biased officiating in the olympics......or is it biased officiating in the NBA........I say it's probably both

I'll leave the Olympic officiating speak fot itself. However from my personal observation, Tim Duncan is not prone to fouling in the NBA or the Olympics. He seems to play well without having to outmuscle and foul other players based on skill. This is why the fouls called on him in the Olympics, at least many, were highly questionable. Perhaps referees in international play are not used to seeing talented inside players with the skills of a Tim Duncan (or a Kevin Garnett).

Last edited:

Billythekid

All Star
Reaction score
Stop blaming the refs and eat some humble pie. Alot of teams got hard done by the officiating.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Billythekid

Stop blaming the refs and eat some humble pie. Alot of teams got hard done by the officiating.

My previous most is my own personal observation and a possible explanation in regard to why so many personal fouls was called on Tim Duncan. However, I cannot explain why the referees did not make many calls when Tim Duncan was fouled. It appears the referees call the international game differently and perhaps are more attuned to the three point game. I also think having only two referees may have something to do with it.

I like to give credit where credit is due. Argentina is certainly worthy of the Gold Medal and I would not want to diminish their accomplishment.

Last edited:

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I watched the game and the USA obviously played much better than yesterday.

-- When they can hit outside shots, like they did today, USA could beat anyone.

-- I liked the enthusiasm of the guys on the bench during the game. They were standing and cheering.

-- I wish FIBA and the NCAA would put the three point line back to the NBA line. If nothing else, it screws up shooters who end up really struggling when they come to the NBA.

-- He won't get it, but Shawn Marion would have a legitimate claim at team MVP. Duncan or Odom will get it, but Shawn was quietly effective through the entire Olympic series and was huge today. He led the team in socirng with 22 points, played fairly good defense (it's hard when playing against shooters like Lithuania), made some key steals (3), and had two absolutely huge defensive rebounds (of 6) near the end that helped seal the game.

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
I watched the game and the USA obviously played much better than yesterday.

-- When they can hit outside shots, like they did today, USA could beat anyone.

-- I liked the enthusiasm of the guys on the bench during the game. They were standing and cheering.

-- I wish FIBA and the NCAA would put the three point line back to the NBA line. If nothing else, it screws up shooters who end up really struggling when they come to the NBA.

-- He won't get it, but Shawn Marion would have a legitimate claim at team MVP. Duncan or Odom will get it, but Shawn was quietly effective through the entire Olympic series and was huge today. He led the team in socirng with 22 points, played fairly good defense (it's hard when playing against shooters like Lithuania), made some key steals (3), and had two absolutely huge defensive rebounds (of 6) near the end that helped seal the game.

Definitely agree with all of the above.

Just by following this team, I've become even more interested in the NBA. I guess that just flies in the face of what ole' Lars has expressed.

I credit these guys for performing to the best of their abilities, and hope that they don't get ridiculed when coming back to the States.

There are quite a few people out there (Americans) who are glad they lost. It seems that some are living vicariously through these players... and perhaps think they could have done better.

My opinion of this team at the beginning of the summer was not NEARLY as high as it is now. I didn't see any showboating. All I saw was a team who tried to come together as best they could. Was it good enough? Of course not. But, it was enough for me.

On the other hand, I really hope some of these players now can see some of the serious deficiencies in their game. Maybe it WILL lead to a "better" NBA.

Marbs can work on his handles. Iverson can maybe now appreciate his teammates more. Marion can leave the 3's to others. Jefferson & Wade can learn that they're one-dimensional without a jumper. Stouds can learn weak-side D. Anthony hopefully learned that he's not top dog. Lebron has some work to do on his J. And, so on.

So, before some of you rip on these guys for not bringing back a gold... just appreciate them for stepping up and putting on the red, white, and blue.

And, SCREW GREECE for it's treatment of our athletes.