USA vs Puerto Rico

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Anyone else remember that this game is on right now? Turns our Amare, Lebron, and AI were told that they arent playing today because they were late for a meeting. :shrug:

I was looking forward to Amare vs Santiago. ;)

OP
OP
JS22

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
You know, it's pretty sad that Santiago looks more like a legit center than anything we have!

Maximus

Reaction score
I've been impressed with Marion. He's all over the place, making plays and scoring. I'm glad we haven't traded him, and hope we don't. He really elevates his game when he's surrounded by good talent. I've been thinking a Marion for Dampier trade, but I'm having second thoughts. Marion's too valuable, and it's fun to think about what he'll do with a much stronger supporting cast.

Too bad we didn't get to see Stoudemire today. Looks like he's hanging out with Lebron and AI. I'd much rather hear that he's hanging out with Duncan, Marion, etc. :D

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
Just started watching in the 4th quarter. Dwayne Wade is such a stud......

He could easily become the second best player from the past draft. The best if he were a couple inches taller.

scotsman13

Reaction score
for all of his scoring i wasnt impressed with melo. his game is just like his personality, lots of flash (scoring) and no real heart (he didnt rebound and turned the ball over a lot)>

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
scotsman13 said:
for all of his scoring i wasnt impressed with melo. his game is just like his personality, lots of flash (scoring) and no real heart (he didnt rebound and turned the ball over a lot)>

you are baiting NugzFan into an argument, aren't you? :)

Honestly though, I'm sure there are a lot of GM's who would take Wade over Anthony right now.

I was pissed when I turned the game on because I was most excited to watch Amare Stoudemire. I guess I'll have to wait until Tuesday.

Joe Mama

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I was upset as well. Amare and Lebron were the only reasons I was even interessted so I thought it was pretty boring game.

Pretty hilarious when the crowd chanted Iverson.

Dwayne Wade got an award today. He was the chosed one that Bill Walton would continue to overrate the entire game.

scotsman13

Reaction score
Joe Mama said:

in truth i am not.

the thing that brothers me most about melo is everyone is acting like he is a choosen one. that he will restore basketball back to the days of bird and magic with lebron (i think james is a special player). but melo isnt anywhere close to being anything but a scorer. he thinks that the game should be based around him and i would take marion over him in a heart beat. earlier this week i said that i think that melo will be the next alex english (a small forward that can score all over the place but not much of anything else). after watching him today i am even more sure of that statement then i was before.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by WastedFate

You know, it's pretty sad that Santiago looks more like a legit center than anything we have!

I was thinking about the same. Maybe Santiago would be worth another look. He might be as good as most of the FA centers out there.

Yes I know, we've been there and done that, but he did play decent from the parts of the game I saw and he can get up and down the court well. I am sure that he has progressed from the last time he was here.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess Santiago is still under contract with the Bucks so I guess I have to forget about that thought.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mainstreet said:
I guess Santiago is still under contract with the Bucks so I guess I have to forget about that thought.

According to Patricia:

Daniel Santiago ....... 7/17/03 2 $2.5 million '05

Hoopshype has him listed but without an amount. I'm guessing the contract is not guaranteed.

Daniel Santiago
Milwaukee Bucks
Position: C
Height: 7-1 Weight: 260
College: St. Vincent
Player file | Team stats

2003-04 Statistics
PPG 4.0
RPG 2.4
APG .4
SPG .35
BPG .39
FG% .479
FT% .678
3P% .000
MPG 13.1

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
slinslin said:
Dwayne Wade got an award today. He was the chosed one that Bill Walton would continue to overrate the entire game.

If you're implying that Wade is overrated, then I'm going to disagree with you. And if you're not implying that, then nevermind! :)

I may be a Marquette homer ( :D ) but Wade is explosive on the dribble. He's quick on defense (lotsa steals), and his passing is decent (today was a fine example). Playing for Marquette, there were times when he just took over games. I think he showed some great stuff as a rookie this year, and he'll only get better with time.

I'm not sure if many people feel the way I do, but I'd rather have him on my team than Carmelo Anthony. Wade works hard, puts up solid numbers, but the one knock on him is that he's been injured in the past. Carmelo may be the flashier one, but I like what Wade can offer too. His package is just less shiny. :)

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I didn't get a chance to watch Wade, but he impressed Shaq enough that he insisted that Wade not be included in the trade (I'm not sure there was any chance of it anyway).

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
Dwyane Wade was my favorite prospect last Draft, although I even mentioned on this board last year - he wasn't the best player in Draft (James was a great prospect). I really like his game though...

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The reason I think Dwayne Wade might be more valuable than Carmelo Anthony is that he has point guard skills. Anthony is essentially a scoring small forward. That's really the only thing is a very good at. His defense and rebounding are average at best.

Of course these guys are just rookies. They could look totally different (better or worse) a month or two into the next season.

I wouldn't mind having either one of them on the Phoenix Suns.

Joe Mama

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Well, I just finished watching the game. :)

I'm surprised only one person commented on Marion. He looked like the second-best player out there, getting his hands on most of the loose balls and playing great, unselfish team offense.

Wade looked like a keeper, too, despite Walton's comments. He reminds me of a young Steve Francis, but smart.

The best thing about this game for the U.S. is that, of the four guys that were killing them (Odom not guarding S&R, Melo playing dumb on both ends, Boozer playing lousy defense even by FIBA standards, and Okafor just looking lost), three won't be in the rotation for games that actually mean something. The U.S. did its damage with its starting lineup out there, and that's another good sign.

Joe Mama said:

:lol:

(WHATEVER YOU DO ON THIS BOARD, DON'T EVER MENTION ANY NUGGETS PLAYER!) ;)