Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Gabbert is on the board and we pass :kablooey:

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Gabbert is on the board and we pass :kablooey:
Do you mean that's your thought on the matter, or how you think the fans as a whole will react? Because the sense I get is that the majority of fans would WANT the Cards to pass on Gabbert.

Personally, I'm neutral on the matter of Gabbert. I think he'll likely end up being a pretty good QB in the league, but probably not a superstar. If they have a defender on the board they think can be put to better use, so be it. (I don't think Miller is that guy, though.)

Personally, I'm hoping for Quinn.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking if Gabbert is there at #5 and the Cardinals are not high on him, this puts them in excellent position to move down in the draft and get a nice trade package in return.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you mean that's your thought on the matter, or how you think the fans as a whole will react? Because the sense I get is that the majority of fans would WANT the Cards to pass on Gabbert.

Personally, I'm neutral on the matter of Gabbert. I think he'll likely end up being a pretty good QB in the league, but probably not a superstar. If they have a defender on the board they think can be put to better use, so be it. (I don't think Miller is that guy, though.)

My thoughts. If they don't do something drastic to improve the QB situation, the fans will :kablooey: (Bulger is not drastic)

An average QB would have won the NFCW. A pretty good QB would have given us a shot at something. Hell, the Seahawks upset the reigning champs with an average QB.

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking if Gabbert is there at #5 and the Cardinals are not high on him, this puts them in excellent position to move down in the draft and get a nice trade package in return.

That's what I would like to see if Gabbert is there and Von Miller is not.

bg7brd

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think if the Bengals don't take Gabbert, they will trade out of their spot with someone wanting him (Redskins or Vikings maybe).

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll eat my hat if that many QBs are taken in the 1st round.
I'd be slightly surprised, but by no means do I think it's out of the question that 4 go in the first--especially if teams start moving back into the end of the first round. There are a lot of teams at the top of the draft order that need one, so it's completely possible that teams may look to leapfrog teams like Buffalo and Arizona to get in a place where they can grab a guy like Mallet or Ponder or Locker.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's what I would like to see if Gabbert is there and Von Miller is not.

According to this mock both Von Miller and Peterson is there.. (Von 1st, Peterson 2nd)You have to take either of those guys before you take Gabbert. And even then there are options better than Gabbert.. I wouldnt start thinking of drafting a QB until the second round.. Too many defensive options in the first..

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

Miller appears to be an excellent player and I would expect him to be one for us. Having said that how does that change how we finish next year in our division. Maybe he could be rookie of the year but that does not put points on the board. We still finish last. The Vikings appear to want McNabb and it is all over various boards. I would like to think that taking Miller would be drafting for the future. Drafting for the future is not in the Cards DNA as we cannot keep a team together long enough to develop a future. Who is our QB for next year and the year after? I just do not see anything very good for us this year. We can draft a good player at #5 but if it is not a QB we remain in purgatory for years to come. QB's win championships.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I think if the Bengals don't take Gabbert, they will trade out of their spot with someone wanting him (Redskins or Vikings maybe).

I have read on several sites that the Skins would very much like to trade up and take Gabbert. If that is true then why on earth would any team give the Skins a high draft pick for Kolb? They must think Gabbert has a much better future than Kolb. Sort of some mixed signals going out here. Add to that that Kolbs agent says he wants a multi year contract with some good $$$$. Any GM that would give up high first round pick for Kolb would have to be missing some screws. I would not even give up a second round pick for him. In fact I had rather have Gabbert just like the Skiins see the situation.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

Who is willing to pay a very big salary to Palmer and also give up mulitiple draft picks for him? I do not see many takers on a deal that sends Palmer anywhere.

OP
OP
N

NFLRoughDraft

Veteran
Reaction score
Miller appears to be an excellent player and I would expect him to be one for us. Having said that how does that change how we finish next year in our division. Maybe he could be rookie of the year but that does not put points on the board. We still finish last. The Vikings appear to want McNabb and it is all over various boards. I would like to think that taking Miller would be drafting for the future. Drafting for the future is not in the Cards DNA as we cannot keep a team together long enough to develop a future. Who is our QB for next year and the year after? I just do not see anything very good for us this year. We can draft a good player at #5 but if it is not a QB we remain in purgatory for years to come. QB's win championships.

The only problem here is say you do take Gabbert. If this lockout goes until July/August, there is no way he can contribute in 2011.

OP
OP
N

NFLRoughDraft

Veteran
Reaction score

Quinn huh? You like him over Miller and Peterson at #5? I don't agree, but I don't think it's crazy either.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only problem here is say you do take Gabbert. If this lockout goes until July/August, there is no way he can contribute in 2011.
I wouldn't thinkn the Cards would draft a QB at #5 expecting him to start this year anyway. Whiz is generally pretty tough on his rookies' PT, and I would suspect even moreso with a rookie QB (last year was a cluster with Anderson, and thus an exception).

If the Cards take Gabbert I think they'll still go after a vet once FA opens up, too.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

There are a lot of teams in need of a QB. I could easily see three go in the first round. We really do not know how the teams themselves have evaluated these QB's. Some teams may evaluate some QB very high who is not even on our radar or Kiper's radar. There will be a QBOTF in this group of QB's. He may come out of round 1 or round 6. That is how it is with QBs because there are really no good test to get inside the head of a QB. After a few years in prision who would have thought Mike Vick would come back as a star? Not me. Who among you thought Kurt Warner would lead us to the SuperBowl? Most posters seem to think he would not even make it through a season as he was to old and used up. I doubt our own team knew just what they were getting when they signed Kurt.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

To be a superstar you generally have to have a supporting cast around you. It is unlikely the Cards will reach that point based on past transactions. I predict we will by 1-2 years from now be on the look for receivers. Only a short while ago we had the best wide receivers in the NFL but are now headed down hill. Thankfully Fitz came along about the same time as Kurt. They, along with Boldin combined to make us an offensive force.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't thinkn the Cards would draft a QB at #5 expecting him to start this year anyway. Whiz is generally pretty tough on his rookies' PT, and I would suspect even moreso with a rookie QB (last year was a cluster with Anderson, and thus an exception).

If the Cards take Gabbert I think they'll still go after a vet once FA opens up, too.

Exactly. Even if the Cardinals draft a QB at #5, he and Skelton would likely be behind a veteran QB fighting for the backup position. If the Cardinals go QB at #5, they are looking for a long term starter to eventually emerge.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

I would not be drafting Gabbert for this year and maybe not even next as it normally takes a few years to develop a QB. He would definitely be drafted as a possible QBOTF. This year and next we will have to depend on signing a FA QB. I really do not see Skelton helping much. He has very little playing time and even very few reps in practice as he was our 3rd QB. At the moment, I am leaning towards the Seattle FA QB. He has been very good in past years. More than enough NFL experience to read defenses and has played at a high level. He could have more in the tank and give us a couple of years to see if Gabbert or Skelton can develop. We will never have a QBOTF unless we draft one. Statistics say we have the best chance by drafting high. Some experts see Gabbert as having a shot to be a good NFL QB. Of course it is a gamble. Taking any QB is a gamble but you will never win the lottery if you do not buy a ticket. We are coming off a season where we had the worst QBs in the NFL. Until we address that problem we will continue to have the worst QB's in the NFL.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score

What throws this draft into complete anarchy is the fact that there is no Free Agency before the draft. The QB's who came out are especially smart (and not Nick Foles or Terrelle Pryor) because no team will have their QB spot settled that doesn't have a franchise guy already. Now guys like Ponder, Kaepernick, and Dalton will be going 1-2 rounds higher then they normally would have. That works to the Cardinals as most teams that are QB needy will have taken a guy and we could have our pick as a preferred destination.

Problem is all the free agent QBs suck :)

I'm going to be very sad if we pass On Gabbert. No matter what you think about him, if he DOES hit, we got a Top 5 QB and don't have to worry about it for 10 years or so.

OT: Did anyone watch Gabbert and Gruden on ESPN last night? Gurden just keep repeating the same thing over and over and his communication style is so akward. It was tough to take anything away from that show with regards to Gabbert.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What throws this draft into complete anarchy is the fact that there is no Free Agency before the draft. The QB's who came out are especially smart (and not Nick Foles or Terrelle Pryor) because no team will have their QB spot settled that doesn't have a franchise guy already. Now guys like Ponder, Kaepernick, and Dalton will be going 1-2 rounds higher then they normally would have. That works to the Cardinals as most teams that are QB needy will have taken a guy and we could have our pick as a preferred destination.

Problem is all the free agent QBs suck :)

I'm going to be very sad if we pass On Gabbert. No matter what you think about him, if he DOES hit, we got a Top 5 QB and don't have to worry about it for 10 years or so.

OT: Did anyone watch Gabbert and Gruden on ESPN last night? Gurden just keep repeating the same thing over and over and his communication style is so akward. It was tough to take anything away from that show with regards to Gabbert.
As much as I don't want to, this is how I feel.

bg7brd

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I have read on several sites that the Skins would very much like to trade up and take Gabbert. If that is true then why on earth would any team give the Skins a high draft pick for Kolb? They must think Gabbert has a much better future than Kolb. Sort of some mixed signals going out here. Add to that that Kolbs agent says he wants a multi year contract with some good $$$$. Any GM that would give up high first round pick for Kolb would have to be missing some screws. I would not even give up a second round pick for him. In fact I had rather have Gabbert just like the Skiins see the situation.

Philly is the team with Kolb.

bg7brd

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Who is willing to pay a very big salary to Palmer and also give up mulitiple draft picks for him? I do not see many takers on a deal that sends Palmer anywhere.

I could see a few teams making the trade (depending on the asking price). It wouldn't shock me to see the Bengals trade spots with the Redskins so they can take Gabbert. Cincy could then take Julio Jones at 10 and try to lure Palmer out of retirement. They could also use the draft pick(s) gained in the trade to move back into the 1st to take a QB they like.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05