Very Very Rough 1st Round Projection

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't thinkn the Cards would draft a QB at #5 expecting him to start this year anyway. Whiz is generally pretty tough on his rookies' PT, and I would suspect even moreso with a rookie QB (last year was a cluster with Anderson, and thus an exception).

If the Cards take Gabbert I think they'll still go after a vet once FA opens up, too.

He had no problem throwing Max Hall and Bartel in there...... (although Bartel isn't technically a rookie)

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I'd be slightly surprised, but by no means do I think it's out of the question that 4 go in the first--especially if teams start moving back into the end of the first round. There are a lot of teams at the top of the draft order that need one, so it's completely possible that teams may look to leapfrog teams like Buffalo and Arizona to get in a place where they can grab a guy like Mallet or Ponder or Locker.

It could happen, but I don't see two more going in the first. I think that only happens if the Titans, Skins, and/or the Vikings grab one waaaaaaay early. I don't think they will, so I don't see 4 going 1st round.

Then again, this year is going to be crazy in the draft, so I don't really know.

The only problem here is say you do take Gabbert. If this lockout goes until July/August, there is no way he can contribute in 2011.

Ding ding! You are correct, sir! I've been saying the same thing for over a month, but Gabbert/Newton lovers just don't want to hear it. So many people cry about who will play QB for us this season if we don't draft one, and won't admit that even if we do, he probably won't play QB for us.

What throws this draft into complete anarchy is the fact that there is no Free Agency before the draft. The QB's who came out are especially smart (and not Nick Foles or Terrelle Pryor) because no team will have their QB spot settled that doesn't have a franchise guy already. Now guys like Ponder, Kaepernick, and Dalton will be going 1-2 rounds higher then they normally would have. That works to the Cardinals as most teams that are QB needy will have taken a guy and we could have our pick as a preferred destination.

Problem is all the free agent QBs suck :)

I'm going to be very sad if we pass On Gabbert. No matter what you think about him, if he DOES hit, we got a Top 5 QB and don't have to worry about it for 10 years or so.

OT: Did anyone watch Gabbert and Gruden on ESPN last night? Gurden just keep repeating the same thing over and over and his communication style is so akward. It was tough to take anything away from that show with regards to Gabbert.

As has been stated above, a rookie QB probably won't help this season anyway.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He had no problem throwing Max Hall and Bartel in there...... (although Bartel isn't technically a rookie)
I acknowledged that, though I wouldn't necissarily cast it as "he had no problem" with it. His hand was forced (albeit by his own doing in cutting ML and bringing in DA).

Everything we know about whiz is that he doesn't want to have to play a rookie right away and occasionally goes to great lengths to NOT play them until later in the season (see D. Williams).

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the 2006 NFL Draft Vince Young was selected #3, Leinart #10 and Cutler #13. If Gabbert and Newton were in that draft, where were they be selected?

Obviously it was not a good first round draft for QBs. I suspect Newton would be selected near or earlier than Vince Young. However, I suspect Gabbert would have dropped substantially beyond Leinart and Cutler, maybe even into the second round. I'm not saying Gabbert might not be the better of the bunch but I believe he is a real reach especially at #5. Can anyone venture where Gabbert would be selected in that draft? I would be interested. I'm sure this has already been discussed in some fashion so I apologize, but I think it provides some insight into where Gabbert should be selected in 2011 NFL Draft.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
And he won with another rookie...Big Ben.

Tommy Maddox was the starter that year and got hurt so it wasn't exactly by choice.

Max Hall only got in because DA was a complete disaster.

If Whiz had his choice then he wouldn't be starting a rookie especially at QB

jmt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
One way or another we need a new QB - next season and beyond. is DA even signed?

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Anderson is signed. He signed a two year deal last year.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
the coach said robert quinn is a project as a outside linabacker in3-4 defense and he clearly said he will draft an impact player..but who is an impact player if peterson and miller are gone.i see just 2 player be impact player julius jones and aj green

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

NFLRoughDraft

Veteran
Reaction score
Tommy Maddox was the starter that year and got hurt so it wasn't exactly by choice.

Max Hall only got in because DA was a complete disaster.

If Whiz had his choice then he wouldn't be starting a rookie especially at QB

I know that, but my point was that Wiz has won with a rookie QB in the past so he may not be reluctant to start one again.

I still think the Cards should pass on a QB at 5.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I like Newton, Gabbert, Von, and Peterson. I think Gabbert will be the only one left when we pick, I'm not that big on Quinn. Will Gabbert be an immediate impact? No. Is that a reason not to draft him? No. Do I think there is any QB via free agency or trade out there that will have us making a serious run in 2011/12? No.

Start Skelton, I'm done with the old and crusty's. I like Palmer, Kolb, and Smith as much as the next guy but Skelton and Gabbert are so young, big, fresh, and talented I wouldn't mind giving Whiz a semi pass on this year, to do the rebuilding we should have started last year. Skelton might just surprise a lot of folks this year, I can see it. :)

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like Newton, Gabbert, Von, and Peterson. I think Gabbert will be the only one left when we pick, I'm not that big on Quinn. Will Gabbert be an immediate impact? No. Is that a reason not to draft him? No. Do I think there is any QB via free agency or trade out there that will have us making a serious run in 2011/12? No.

Start Skelton, I'm done with the old and crusty's. I like Palmer, Kolb, and Smith as much as the next guy but Skelton and Gabbert are so young, big, fresh, and talented I wouldn't mind giving Whiz a semi pass on this year, to do the rebuilding we should have started last year. Skelton might just surprise a lot of folks this year, I can see it. :)

I can feel the fresh air already. :D

If the Cardinals draft Gabbert they just might go this direction.

asuhoopsnut

Registered
Reaction score
I have read on several sites that the Skins would very much like to trade up and take Gabbert. If that is true then why on earth would any team give the Skins a high draft pick for Kolb? They must think Gabbert has a much better future than Kolb. Sort of some mixed signals going out here. Add to that that Kolbs agent says he wants a multi year contract with some good $$$$. Any GM that would give up high first round pick for Kolb would have to be missing some screws. I would not even give up a second round pick for him. In fact I had rather have Gabbert just like the Skiins see the situation.

Kolb is on the Eagles roster ..... not the Redskins.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05