Vikings Tice still hanted by loss to Cards!

Red Hawk

JUST WIN!
Reaction score
Vikings Tice still haunted by loss to Cards!

Land of a thousand mistakes

Wierd seeing a article about the vikes turn into an article about the Cards!

Land of a thousand mistakes
Vikings coach Tice haunted by late-season collapse
Posted: Wednesday March 31, 2004 5:22PM; Updated: Wednesday March 31, 2004 5:24PM

Vikings coach Mike Tice blames a series of events for their 18-17 loss to the Cardinals in the final week of last season.
John Biever/SI
PALM BEACH, Fla. - Notes, quotes and gleanings from the NFC coaches media breakfast Wednesday morning at the NFL's annual meeting, which wrapped up after three days at The Breakers. ...

• Three full months have passed, but naturally Mike Tice still sees the play unfold in his mind's eye several times a day. You know the one. Arizona faces a fourth-and-25 from the Vikings 28, four seconds left on the clock, with visiting Minnesota one snap away from clinching the NFC North title and Tice's first playoff berth as a head coach. Then Josh McCown to Nathan Poole happened and the haunting began.

"I think about it a lot," Tice said Wednesday morning, at the NFC coaches media breakfast. "I thought about it when the plane was landing and going to Orlando the other night. And I thought about it when I was laying in bed -- a lot.

"But it's really not the play, as much as about the last five minutes of the game; what went wrong, the players celebrating when it was 17-6 and me yelling at the players. And one of the players grabbing me and telling me to 'Settle down, we've got it under control.' All the stuff that went on."

Tice has to be agonized by his club's late-season collapse in that all-or-nothing situation against the Cardinals, because so much of what transpired was largely beyond his control.

"I try to think about what I could have done to help the situation," he said. "But I can't make the plays for the players, that's the problem. The players still are the ones that have to make the plays and that's really what it came down to in that situation.

"You've got to get the on-side kick. You've got to bat the ball down. You've got to throw the ball and complete it on third down and keep the clock moving. You've got to stay on-side and not jump off. You can't hold the tight end and get defensive holding and stop the clock. You've got to do all those things."

If any one of those plays that Tice just ticked off had gone differently, the Vikings would have been a 10-6 playoff team. Instead, they were a disappointing 9-7 out-of-the-money finisher after a glowing 6-0 start.

"Yep, that's right," Tice said. "That's why I memorized them all."

• Tice isn't the only one in Minnesota who can't let go of the debacle in the desert. On Monday, as part of commissioner Paul Tagliabue's state-of-the-league presentation to the owners, a video clip of 2003 season highlights was shown. Vikings owner Red McCombs walked in late, just as the play that ended his team's season so bitterly had its moment of glory on screen.

According to a couple folks who were present, McCombs started hooting and hollering in the direction of the commissioner that Poole should have been ruled out of bounds in the back right corner of the end zone -- a contention he has made repeatedly since viewing the instant replay of Poole's touchdown. Nearby Vikings officials merely lowered their head and tried in vain to pretend they don't actually work for McCombs.

• Unless it's the most brazen draft strategy smokescreen in recent NFL history, you can definitively rule out the chance that Arizona is considering a quarterback with its No. 3 pick in the draft. Once and for all, new Cardinals head coach Dennis Green bent over backwards Wednesday to anoint third-year man McCown as his unquestioned quarterback of the present and future.

"I'm not interested in waiting around for a franchise [quarterback]," Green said. "I want a guy that's like everybody else on the team, where the players can look at it and say, 'Here comes Josh. He was a backup last year. Here comes Josh. He wants to be good, but he needs our help to be good. Here comes Josh. He wants to lead this team.'

"He's not going to lead on pedigree. He's not going to lead on amount of money or how many Rolexes he can buy. For us right now, that's where I think we should be. I think we should all get behind Josh McCown and treat him just like everybody else, kind of a young warrior on the come, and start winning right away."

Green said he did a study that shows there are more undrafted quarterbacks starting in the NFL than there are quarterbacks who were selected first overall in the draft. And there are more starting quarterbacks, he said, who were taken in the third round or later than those selected in the draft's top two rounds. McCown was a third-round pick in 2002, and the first three starts of his career came in the final three games of 2003.

"If you let yourself become convinced at No. 3 that you can get yourself another Peyton Manning or get yourself another Steve McNair, then the question is 'How long is it going to take before you start winning [with him] and what do we do until then?'" Green said.

"People sit around and they wait and say, 'Okay, now here comes the savior, and when he's ready to go we're going to win some games.' Now, is he ready the first year? The franchise [quarterbacks] I know weren't. They didn't win, and didn't go to the playoffs. What about the second year? I don't know, I'm not a historian. But I think I understand the concept of when everybody's sitting around waiting for this quote, 'franchise player.'"

From that we can assume that if Eli Manning falls to the Cardinals at No. 3, they're open to a trade.

• Arizona is just one of seven NFL teams - excluding expansion Houston - that hasn't made the playoffs at any point in this century. Detroit, Washington, Jacksonville, San Diego, Buffalo and Cincinnati are the other clubs still trying to crack the postseason since the start of the 2000 season.

But more than a few league observers believe that Green might have the Cardinals in playoff contention sooner than anyone expects. In Minnesota, Green's Vikings teams qualified for the postseason eight times in his 10 seasons.

"I've said right from the start we want to go the playoffs the first year," Green said. "That's our goal. We'll be very disappointed if we don't. ... I like turnaround programs. That's my thing. It always has been. To take programs that people aren't real convinced about and show them what they can be. I enjoy doing that."

Maybe not since he coached at Northwestern in the 1980s has Green faced a bigger turnaround challenge. The Cardinals have a new stadium opening in 2006, but until they move into it and also start showing some signs of improvement on the field, it will likely remain tough for Arizona to attract high-quality free agents. Just as it once was for Tampa Bay, during the Bucs' NFL-record streak of 12 consecutive double-digit-loss seasons (1983-94).

"That's down the road," Green said of turning Arizona into a potential glamour location for free agents. "Right now I think we've got to win with what we've got. Think of it as a boat that had a hole in it. Nobody's going to get in a boat with a hole in it until you can convince them that you've got the thing patched.

"So it's our job to patch the hole in the boat. I think we're going to have to dig our way out of this with what we've got. For the most part, it's going to be the players you've seen play for us in the past. That's going to be who we go with."

Last edited:

CardFan67

Don't touch my tail!
Reaction score
az-red said:
...the players celebrating when it was 17-6 and me yelling at the players. And one of the players grabbing me and telling me to 'Settle down, we've got it under control.' All the stuff that went on."
I loved that part... And isn't it sad that someone else's opinion and writings about the Cardinals are far superior to that of some of the local coverage writers?

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
CardFan67 said:
I loved that part... And isn't it sad that someone else's opinion and writings about the Cardinals are far superior to that of some of the local coverage writers?
Yeah it is really sad...most of the local media are just hacks that dislike the Cardinals or they grew up rooting for an East Coast team and are transplants that maintain that loyalty

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Tice blames the players. What a jerk.
He has no clue that it is up to coach to make sure players are not overconfidant. That a winning culture and atmosphere exists.
He has no clue. He could not run a lemonade stand.

He is the one who has neglected ST and did not hire a good ST coach. Our ST has sucked for 2 years. Penalties again that is coaching we have continually made dumb penalties. Why stop throwing to Moss - again coaching.

Who brought in Walker in the first place TICE!

Losers blame the players. He is desperate to keep his job. Moron!

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
"So it's our job to patch the hole in the boat. I think we're going to have to dig our way out of this with what we've got. For the most part, it's going to be the players you've seen play for us in the past. That's going to be who we go with."

This looks more and more like an ego thing with Green. He's going to show the NFL that he is the greatest coach of all time by winning with the same players that produced terrible results under McGinnis. He knew coming in that the Bidwill's didn't have the money to upgrade the talent level but he took the job anyway assuming one of the great challenges in coaching history.

A no lose situation for Denny. If he wins he's the miracle worker and goes to the hall of fame. If he doesn't then everyone will just say it was the organization. Nobody can win with the Cardinals. And he gets to pocket a few million in the process. Nice gig.

spanky1

Reaction score
Duckjake said:

This looks more and more like an ego thing with Green. He's going to show the NFL that he is the greatest coach of all time by winning with the same players that produced terrible results under McGinnis. He knew coming in that the Bidwill's didn't have the money to upgrade the talent level but he took the job anyway assuming one of the great challenges in coaching history.

A no lose situation for Denny. If he wins he's the miracle worker and goes to the hall of fame. If he doesn't then everyone will just say it was the organization. Nobody can win with the Cardinals. And he gets to pocket a few million in the process. Nice gig.

While I agree if Green turns this around and we become contenders year after year (god forbid should we actually win the "big" one), he'll get his ticket to the HOF punched.

But I wouldn't call it an "ego" thing........there are lots of executives from all types of industries who "thrive on the turnaround"......

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I loved the Tice comments. Tuna Lite and a young Ditka. I'd love to watch his mini camps and be the fly on the wall. He just may kick some player's ass during camp. I hope it is Moss. Team Green leftovers blew that one.

:whip:

Tangodnzr

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Duckjake said:

I totally disagree with this take.

It seems to be very popular now to denigrate Mac, now that he's gone, with a lot of people dissing him/Graves/Cards organization for drafting "low talent, high character" players. I totally disagree with this. I think time is now showing that there is more talent here than a lot of people generally give credit. David Boston was the last real "problem child". TJ seemed to develop a bad attitude, but I think that was developed or "spawned" by circumstances here.
Sure some players may be grousing now, with the stepped up pace and expectations, but I expect to see the underachieving diminish greatly. I expect to see more confidence, pride, and determination take the field now.
No more humiliating defeats like in Cleveland or SF last year.
The grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence.
I totally agree with Green when he says, the players we have now have to be the primary ones to get the job done.
Has he got an ego....there seems little doubt of that.
But few people "succeed" in life, whatever the avenue, without a healthy one.
(notice I said "healthy"..not "big" or "over-blown")
So far I like everything he's done, except for maybe the early and quick announcement that Quan would be moved. Why fix something if it ain't broke?
especially before he had time to be here and personally evaluate the situation first hand. But I will defer to his knowledge and experience and trust that he knows or saw something on film that us mere mortals aren't privvy to.

I think the playoffs are indeed a realistic goal this year, I don't care who we draft.

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Duckjake said:

Well you are wrong there. DG is very proud of him being in the top ten alltime in NFL History.
That is what is at stake. It is not just about the money. Why take a million dollar bonus for the playoffs if you think there is no chance?

All great coaches have ego: Walsh and Parcells look at the teams they took over.

He is getting rid of unproductive Cards players and threatening those that have been unproductive. He is bringing in fresh young guys in FA. And he will do the draft. He is using coaching as a teaching tool. He is creating a winning culture now.

It is not as you imply at all. DG is serious. He has 1 goal to win the SB. That is why he left MIN he could have stayed there and participated in a fraud he left. He resigned cause the owner was not committed to winning!

The reason he came here is cause he trusts Graves. Look what he said about Dusty Baker going to the Cubs. He wants to build something here. He came here cause Graves and Bidwill said they would let him do it. As soon as they don't he will resign.

As Curt Schilling said, "If I go to the Yankees and win another World Series I am just another guy who won a World Series with the Yankees. If I win a World Series with the Red Sox I will go down as a LEGEND."

DG is going for LEGEND status not a few million bucks and he is betting his excellent record that he can do it.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
What you wrote:

DG is going for LEGEND status not a few million bucks and he is betting his excellent record that he can do it.

What I wrote:

He's going to show the NFL that he is the greatest coach of all time by winning with the same players that produced terrible results under McGinnis.

So where's the argument?

Jim O

Reaction score
Ryanwb said:
Yeah it is really sad...most of the local media are just hacks that dislike the Cardinals or they grew up rooting for an East Coast team and are transplants that maintain that loyalty

Or they are realists who are sick of sugar coating.

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Duckjake said:
What you wrote:

What I wrote:

He's going to show the NFL that he is the greatest coach of all time by winning with the same players that produced terrible results under McGinnis.

So where's the argument?

Well he is not going to use the same players.
He is doing it to win a SB first and foremost not to show he can win Arizona etc.
If another team a better team gave DG the same conditions he got in Zona he goes to that team.
I am sure he is intrigued by the turnaround process it would add a stamp to his greatness but he wants to win a SB. The fact is the Cards gave him the conditions he feels good about. If JAX or OAK or SF did the same he could be there now. The LEGEND thing is an added bonus but he wants that SB so bad he can taste it. He would go to any team that will let him do his DG stuff without inteference. He didn't come here so he could use the excuse oh it's the Cards I couldn't work the miracle here etc.

He fully expects to win here.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
CardFan67 said:

wow, see, i see that as the local coverage writers just knowing a lot more about our team than someone writing for an out-of-state journal. it's funny, but if this guy was saying something negative you same people (and i'm not directly calling you out cardfan67) would be yelling that out of state journalists know nothing and are writing from ignorance. have away at me! WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
vikesfan said:
Well you are wrong there. DG is very proud of him being in the top ten alltime in NFL History.
That is what is at stake. It is not just about the money. Why take a million dollar bonus for the playoffs if you think there is no chance?

All great coaches have ego: Walsh and Parcells look at the teams they took over.

He is getting rid of unproductive Cards players and threatening those that have been unproductive. He is bringing in fresh young guys in FA. And he will do the draft. He is using coaching as a teaching tool. He is creating a winning culture now.

It is not as you imply at all. DG is serious. He has 1 goal to win the SB. That is why he left MIN he could have stayed there and participated in a fraud he left. He resigned cause the owner was not committed to winning!

The reason he came here is cause he trusts Graves. Look what he said about Dusty Baker going to the Cubs. He wants to build something here. He came here cause Graves and Bidwill said they would let him do it. As soon as they don't he will resign.

As Curt Schilling said, "If I go to the Yankees and win another World Series I am just another guy who won a World Series with the Yankees. If I win a World Series with the Red Sox I will go down as a LEGEND."

The difference between great coaches like Parcells and Walsh and good coaches like Green is that great coaches have won multiple Superbowls with their own team. Not one that they inherited like a Mike Martz.

Until Green wins a Superbowl he will never be great. If he can do it with the Cardinals it will be all his doing and he will be remembered as one of the greatest of all times.

CardFan67

Don't touch my tail!
Reaction score
Ouchie-Z-Clown said:
wow, see, i see that as the local coverage writers just knowing a lot more about our team than someone writing for an out-of-state journal. it's funny, but if this guy was saying something negative you same people (and i'm not directly calling you out cardfan67) would be yelling that out of state journalists know nothing and are writing from ignorance. have away at me! WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

I disagree, I have been a Cardinals fan for over thirty years... typically the coverage is non exsistent or degrading towards the Cardinals... This is the normal for most of the country and has been that way well over 90% of the time. The only thing that I made mention of and that I observe is that the local media is far harder on them than even the typically negative 'out of state' media...

That is all... I did not mean to imply that they were incompetent, just that they show desires that the Cardinals lose, regardless of moves, changes or whatever happens... Even during the Buddy Ryan days when much of the National media were actually covering the Cardinals, the local media (not all - but more so than not) were continually slamming them...

;)

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
MadCardDisease said:
The difference between great coaches like Parcells and Walsh and good coaches like Green is that great coaches have won multiple Superbowls with their own team. Not one that they inherited like a Mike Martz.

Until Green wins a Superbowl he will never be great. If he can do it with the Cardinals it will be all his doing and he will be remembered as one of the greatest of all times.

Ok Vikefan Menu time.

Menu item #12:
A SB is not symbolical of greatness. Marino and Tarkenton are great. They are Hall of Famers neither won a SB. Journeyman QBs like Dilfer and Hostetler have won SBs - they are not great.

Ditto with coaches. Ditka was a terrible coach. How good is Gruden? Holmgren looks like another non-great coach who won a SB.

Grant and Levy never won a SB they are great coaches and they are in the HALL OF FAME.

DG has a better record then Parcells. How many SB has Parcells won without George Young? Even the 2 in NY one was won on a missed FG.
Just like DG was denied a SB on a FLUKE missed FG.

What makes a coach great is not winning a SB.
DG beat Holmgren regularly! What makes a coach great (Cowher Fisher Green Parcells etc) is that they give their teams a chance to win the SB by winning enough to get that team to the playoffs.

The playoffs are a crapshoot.

CardFan67

Don't touch my tail!
Reaction score
Jim Omohundro said:
Or they are realists who are sick of sugar coating.
"Sick of sugar coating" tends to imply that they are tired of doing it... I think that it would have to be tried first before you can actually be sick of it, no?

:confused:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
CardFan67 said:
I disagree, I have been a Cardinals fan for over thirty years... typically the coverage is non exsistent or degrading towards the Cardinals... This is the normal for most of the country and has been that way well over 90% of the time. The only thing that I made mention of and that I observe is that the local media is far harder on them than even the typically negative 'out of state' media...

That is all... I did not mean to imply that they were incompetent, just that they show desires that the Cardinals lose, regardless of moves, changes or whatever happens... Even during the Buddy Ryan days when much of the National media were actually covering the Cardinals, the local media (not all - but more so than not) were continually slamming them...

;)

uh, you don't think they were continually slammed b/c they deserved to be slammed? let's look at their historical record. i think the slammers are fully vindicated. also, if you think our local media is hard on the cards, you haven't lived in nyc, boston, philly, or dc.

finally, you think our local writers WANT the cards to LOSE? that's ridiculous. they'd have way more to write about and become way more popular if the cards started to win and bandwagoners started reading their columns.

dopleganger

Veteran
Reaction score
vikesfan said:
Ok Vikefan Menu time.

What makes a coach great is not winning a SB.
DG beat Holmgren regularly! What makes a coach great (Cowher Fisher Green Parcells etc) is that they give their teams a chance to win the SB by winning enough to get that team to the playoffs.

The playoffs are a crapshoot.

Umm sure. Playoffs are a crapshoot. Regular season is where good coaches win. NOT

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Ouchie-Z-Clown said:
uh, you don't think they were continually slammed b/c they deserved to be slammed? let's look at their historical record. i think the slammers are fully vindicated. also, if you think our local media is hard on the cards, you haven't lived in nyc, boston, philly, or dc.

finally, you think our local writers WANT the cards to LOSE? that's ridiculous. they'd have way more to write about and become way more popular if the cards started to win and bandwagoners started reading their columns.

The local press reflects the community as a whole. Few people in the Valley know or care anything about the Cardinal football team so they won't buy a paper to read about them. And so the reporters are not assigned to write about them.

Good or Bad the lack of in depth reporting about the Cardinals by the local paper is unique in NFL cities, just like the lack of attendence. The Austin paper has better coverage of the Cowboys, a team in a city 200 miles away, than what I see in the Republic.

But as you say once a bandwagon gets rolling the reporting will get more in depth. Only they'll still bash the Cards. Just for not winning the big game instead of not winning at all.

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
Duckjake said:
The Austin paper has better coverage of the Cowboys, a team in a city 200 miles away, than what I see in the Republic.

Huh? Aren't they supposed to be better coverage since the Cowpukes are in the state of Texas. :confused: :shrug:

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
Duckjake said:
The Austin paper has better coverage of the Cowboys, a team in a city 200 miles away, than what I see in the Republic.

Huh? Aren't they supposed to be better coverage since the Cowpukes are in the state of Texas. :confused: :shrug:

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
vikesfan said:

Well thats all well and good. And, of course I hope DG succeeds. However, he is facing a MONUMENTAL task. Last year, the Cardinals were a beaten down team that regularly got its butt kicked on the road. We were competitive at home, but had won only three of fifteen coming into the viking game.

Even watching the replay of that game, I'm convinced the vikings played too conservatively. They played not to lose, and it cost them.

This team reached a low point last year. We were just absolutely pathetic. Our game management and execution were, at times, almost criminally negligent. We were a laughing stock, and I'm still stinging from that bitter campaign.

Now, vikesfan, you here hyping green and getting us all fired up again, just we got fired up last year because the "new" Mac "was all business" in mini camps. Is it really different this year? Yes, because, Green IS a big time coach, just like Parcells.

But, does green have the horses to win more than six or seven games? I don't know. Maybe, maybe not. A good draft would help. Then we shall see.

Quarterback sacks win superbowls, not 50 yard fly patterns. DG better understand that if he ever wants to hold the Lombardi trophy.

Go Cards!!!

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Crimson Warrior said:
Well thats all well and good. And, of course I hope DG succeeds. However, he is facing a MONUMENTAL task. Last year, the Cardinals were a beaten down team that regularly got its butt kicked on the road. We were competitive at home, but had won only three of fifteen coming into the viking game.

Even watching the replay of that game, I'm convinced the vikings played too conservatively. They played not to lose, and it cost them.

This team reached a low point last year. We were just absolutely pathetic. Our game management and execution were, at times, almost criminally negligent. We were a laughing stock, and I'm still stinging from that bitter campaign.

Now, vikesfan, you here hyping green and getting us all fired up again, just we got fired up last year because the "new" Mac "was all business" in mini camps. Is it really different this year? Yes, because, Green IS a big time coach, just like Parcells.

But, does green have the horses to win more than six or seven games? I don't know. Maybe, maybe not. A good draft would help. Then we shall see.

Quarterback sacks win superbowls, not 50 yard fly patterns. DG better understand that if he ever wants to hold the Lombardi trophy.

Go Cards!!!

Dude I am not going the hype road. The Cards are in woeful shape. I have no idea if he will win this year. I think he has a shot but there is only so much coaching, one FA period and 1 draft can bring to a bad bad team! But I do think he will win next year. I think a second draft and second FA period. A weeding out of babies and talentless will occur and the foundation will be laid down. I think if people are expecting 8 wins or the playoffs are asking a lot. It could happen but this team is the thinnest in the NFL he can only do so much.

DG said the key to winning in the NFL is the LINES - D Line and O Line. You run the ball to set up the pass. You stop the run and sack the passer or hurry him at least. It is not that complicated.

The problem is the Cards "house" is not a fixer upper it needs to be rebuilt from the foundation up.

I am downplaying expectations for this year. I think the posters who start complaining if the Cards lose a lot of games (and they will be here I can predict who they will be) this year are missing the point. This year is the year the foundation was laid. Laying foundations is not exciting but that has to be done.