Walter Mitchell - 2004 Offensive Outlook

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
31 Marcel Shipp (5-11, 219...Plays hurt with no perceivable let up.

:rolleyes:

C'mon, Walt. You know better than to say something like this. Look at Marcel's stats the last two seasons after he's gotten dinged. The guy just isn't tough enough to be a feature back in the NFL, especially not in Green's system. Mark my words: Shipp won't be the starter come 2005.

74 Reggie Wells (6-3, 300) is a very good athlete. Good feet. Good understanding of technique. Needs added strength to finish his blocks off more consistently. Could surprise.

Wells was not any more effective in the final game of the season than he was in the final game of the preseason. He may make a good backup into the future, but is far too small at six-three to ever be a starting tackle in the NFL. It might be interesting to put him in Spikes' guard spot and see how he plays.

lrk27

Veteran
Reaction score
I really don't see Pete Kendall ever moving back to guard. The move was made to extend his career and turn him into a bonafide center, not to move over and fill a need temporarily. Pete took to the move quite well and I see almost 0% chance that he moves back to guard. He is next year's starting center.

red desert

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Originally posted by lrk27
I really don't see Pete Kendall ever moving back to guard. The move was made to extend his career and turn him into a bonafide center, not to move over and fill a need temporarily.

I don't think that was the case. I think that was a convenient consequence of a necessary move.

OP
OP
Skkorpion

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by lrk27
I really don't see Pete Kendall ever moving back to guard. The move was made to extend his career and turn him into a bonafide center, not to move over and fill a need temporarily. Pete took to the move quite well and I see almost 0% chance that he moves back to guard. He is next year's starting center.

Irk, I agree with you.

Dave McGinnis told me toward the end of the season that Pete Kendall should have been in the pro bowl.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Originally posted by red desert
I don't think that was the case. I think that was a convenient consequence of a necessary move.

Yep, keep Kendall at C and improve the Guard position through the draft. Guard is probably is lowest ranked position in the draft and you can get top 5 guards in the 3rd and 4th round.

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score
He was called the starter at center by Green. That should tell you where Kendell will be next season.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Originally posted by BACH
Yep, keep Kendall at C and improve the Guard position through the draft. Guard is probably is lowest ranked position in the draft and you can get top 5 guards in the 3rd and 4th round.

Yeah, but the best guards are chosen at the very top of the draft. Unfortunately, we're picking only at #3 overall, so someone's probably going to take the best G in the draft above us. :rolleyes:

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Originally posted by kerouac9
Yeah, but the best guards are chosen at the very top of the draft. Unfortunately, we're picking only at #3 overall, so someone's probably going to take the best G in the draft above us. :rolleyes:
:D

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
Originally posted by kerouac9

:stupid: :thumbup:

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Green is not going to trade down to take a Clayton,Smith,Wilfork, or anyone that is not on the list of Taylor,Manning,Ben,Fitz, or Winslow.He may trade down but he'll make sure he gets one of those 5.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we do look at OL in the draft it probably won't be until the third round. A player like Guard Chris Snee from Boston College would be a nice pick up at that spot. This team needs more attitude on the OLine and Snee would add some.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by MadCardDisease
If we do look at OL in the draft it probably won't be until the third round. A player like Guard Chris Snee from Boston College would be a nice pick up at that spot. This team needs more attitude on the OLine and Snee would add some.

Well I see that Walter agrees with me. Maybe next time I should read the story first before I post.:eek:

Although I don't think we will take a guard with our second pick. If Snee lasts until the third round then I think we would snag him.

Last edited:

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Though taking guards in the draft has become more fashionable, it usually a better bet to take a college tackle. Unlike most observers, I like this pool of offensive linemen and I think good value exists deep into the draft.

I don't think Clement makes it to the start of the season. Don't be shocked if Davis ends up there. I wouldn't be surprised to see Kendall back at guard. I still think even with good coaching, this line needs a lot of work.

I think Green would like a more explosive back, but he has bigger needs and I think he will stay with the group he has unless he becomes convinced Smith is out of gas.

Beyond Boldin, nothing is certain at receiver. Johnson will get a good shot a earning a job, but has little margin for error. Green will expect marked improvement in Johnson's game. I'll be curious to see what Green does with Poole. Poole doesn't fit Green's prototype, but Green will be making a huge mistake if he doesn't see what this guy has to offer. If they're going with McCown, the Cards would do well to keep Poole in there. He and McCown work well together and McCown will need all the confidence builders he can muster.

I think you are right that Hodgins better show up ready to play and the Jones should as well. I think when Green reviews the tapes; he'll find Jones' statistics are better than his play. However, he likely survives as there are bigger holes to fill.

As to quarterback, I think Green will bring in a vet and give McCown a very short leash. McCown will get a chance to control his own fate, but if he throws away a couple of games, Green will turn to the veteran.