Warner/Bartelstein: NEW OFFER TO CARDS!! (reasonable)

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Sounds eerily reminiscent & similar what Boldin has been saying. Is there a common theme here?
$23M over two years does put him in the top 5 doesn't it? Jake Delhomme's cap # will be $10,956,666 and he would be #5.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
To me the structuring seems like an easy problem to solve. The first year he gets his a 7 mill base and 6 mill bonus. Year 2 he gets a 5 mill base and a 5 mill roster bonus. That way if he retires, gets injured,or suddenly stinks the Cards aren't on the hook next year. If he plays well and plans on playing next year he gets all his money. Even the Cardinals won't cut him if he plays at a high level this year as well. It seems like KW wants insurance in case he gets hurt and is cut. You can't expect the Cards to go for that. As for the Boldin thing, that's a non-issue.He's probably getting traded anyway.

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Warner is really that confident in his ability to play well for 2 more years then he shouldn't be so worried about the 2nd year being guaranteed.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Those radio guys were just saying the during the summer, Warner and Graves had a conversation where Graves said if Kurt took them to the playoffs and/or SuperBowl, they would not have a problem paying him in the top 5 range for QB's.

Now Graves says "things have changed."

Wow. :bang:

Has that supposed 'conversation' between Warner and Graves ever been reported before now? I've never heard of it, but two radio clowns spew it out and it's all of a sudden true? Jeez.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"IF the reports are true" Have fun fighting for last place in the NFC west it seems to be what some of you want. Back to the same old Cardinals. How soon some forget.

Well you got me there, I certainly can't argue that point, yes I do want to go back to losing how did you guess?

The point is what Kurt is doing is NOT helping us pick up where he left off. His negotiation is just making it harder for us to redo other contracts and sign FA's.

If he's so concerned with Boldin why don't his agent and Boldin's agent team up and negotiate together to get it done quicker?

Cards232

Registered
Reaction score
$23M over two years does put him in the top 5 doesn't it? Jake Delhomme's cap # will be $10,956,666 and he would be #5.

Of course the first offer was 20 mil. w/ no guaranteed. Not quite top 5.

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Of course the first offer was 20 mil. w/ no guaranteed. Not quite top 5.
Do you think that the top 5 paid QBs signed for what their team's first offer was? The call it a bargaining table for a reason.

kjbad

Reaction score
Big Ben, J. Russell, Romo, Favre, and Alex Smith were top 5 based on USAToday's total salary graph.

Amazing how the $$$ flows on some of these teams, isn't it? No wonder Warner wants more $$$.

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Big Ben, J. Russell, Romo, Favre, and Alex Smith were top 5 based on USAToday's total salary graph.

Amazing how the $$$ flows on some of these teams, isn't it? No wonder Warner wants more $$$.

Warner is better than 4 of those qb.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Those radio guys were just saying the during the summer, Warner and Graves had a conversation where Graves said if Kurt took them to the playoffs and/or SuperBowl, they would not have a problem paying him in the top 5 range for QB's.

Now Graves says "things have changed."

Wow. :bang:

I don't believe this. Warner wasn't the starter last summer, Leinart was the starter going into training camp and during the exhibition season. Whis said there would be competition but Leinart was still the starter. Why would Graves tell backup Warner that he would pay him in the top 5 range. This is pure bull!!

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
I don't believe this. Warner wasn't the starter last summer, Leinart was the starter going into training camp and during the exhibition season. Whis said there would be competition but Leinart was still the starter. Why would Graves tell backup Warner that he would pay him in the top 5 range. This is pure bull!!

It does seem like Graves has a big mouth. He promised Q a new contract, right? Saying this to Warner would not seem out of character.

The problem is...when it comes time to put his money where his mouth is, he hedges.

Graves is good in other ways. He's calm and steady in the midst of crises, but he's passive aggressive at best...and his deals and promises of deals keep getting the Cardinals into trouble.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
The only thing that's changed is Hot Rod's tie. He never intends to pay players top $$$, just ask Fitzgerald and Boldin. We'll see if they put a decent offer on the table to Wilson.
??? Dont let facts get in the way Fitz is getting paid one of the richest contracts for a WR in NFL history...

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It does seem like Graves has a big mouth. He promised Q a new contract, right? Saying this to Warner would not seem out of character.

The problem is...when it comes time to put his money where his mouth is, he hedges.

Graves is good in other ways. He's calm and steady in the midst of crises, but he's passive aggressive at best...and his deals and promises of deals keep getting the Cardinals into trouble.

Hey...whatever fits your agenda...

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

I have a whole lot of respect for a guy (Graves) who does not use the media (ugh) to negotiate. You made a statement that Graves promised Q a new contract. Unless you were a partyto the conversation or read a document signed by both parties, you are speculating. And that goes for any hacks or beat writers as well. Mitch I give you credit for qualifying your statement with the "right?"

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score

To be fair, 2 of those guys have high salaries because they were the 1st overall pick. Fellow 1st overall picks Joe Thomas and Jake Long make comparable money.

skfan

Reaction score
I have a whole lot of respect for a guy (Graves) who does not use the media (ugh) to negotiate. You made a statement that Graves promised Q a new contract. Unless you were a partyto the conversation or read a document signed by both parties, you are speculating. And that goes for any hacks or beat writers as well. Mitch I give you credit for qualifying your statement with the "right?"

Of coarse he doesn't use the media! How could he, and do it with a straight face? The guy's leading these players on, and the Cardinals are going to pay for it. If this doesn't bother you as fans, then you have no business whining about losing, or wondering why the Cards get so little attention from the media.

Q's accusations were made upfront to the media, which tells me they're more legit than not. The Cards had every chance but not once, did I hear them dispute anything he said.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of coarse he doesn't use the media! How could he, and do it with a straight face? The guy's leading these players on, and the Cardinals are going to pay for it. If this doesn't bother you as fans, then you have no business whining about losing, or wondering why the Cards get so little attention from the media.

Q's accusations were made upfront to the media, which tells me they're more legit than not. The Cards had every chance but not once, did I hear them dispute anything he said.

Just what we need. Another teams' fan telling us Card fans how to be real fans. You are blowing smoke about something you know absolutey nothing about.

HookemCards

Have at you!!!!!
Reaction score

I'm no Graves apologists, but I'm not really sure what you want him to say in the media. Do you really expect him to come out in the press and essentially call Q a liar over what was probably a misunderstanding. Do you really think that would make the matter with Q better. He drives me crazy with how slow he works, and his inability to work on two things at once, but he's always seemed to be pretty honest and the guys that are performing usually get resigned before their contract is up. Without looking it up, Boldin (x 2), Fitz, Wilson, Dockett have all had contracts reworked in the last 3 or 4 years.

As Az Jam said, last summer Warner wasn't even the starter, Leinart was, so I doubt the conversation about Warner getting a top 5 contract ever actually happened.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To be fair, 2 of those guys have high salaries because they were the 1st overall pick. Fellow 1st overall picks Joe Thomas and Jake Long make comparable money.

Big Ben's base pay was $2.5 million last season and it jumps to $4.75 million this coming season. His pay is outrageously high last season because of the $25.2 million signing bonus he was given. He got an 8-year $102 million deal. $36 million guaranteed. He signed it on his 26th birthday last May.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Favre is retired is he not? Smith and Russell are only in there because they were the #1 overall pick.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05