Warner says he interested in rejoining Martz (Lions)

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Based on his MVP limp at the Superbowl he is in no position to pass a physical yet anyway.

seesred

Reaction score
IMO Josh would not, should not, and will not be a Cardinal this year. Green gave him many chances and at every stop he was pulled for someone else. The Green, McCown relationship is DEAD! If Warner signs with someone else (and I don't believe that for a minute), We will have to look elsware than Josh McCown. With a new stadium, excited fan base and a chance to put many more butts in the beautifull new seats, Warner will start this year. If this doesn't happen the headlines will be "Same old cardinals mess it up again and lose Warner".

GBR

OP
OP
az jam

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Snake said:
Warner was on a St. Louis area radio show earlier today. Reportedly, when asked if he'd be interested in joining Martz in Detroit, his comment was "My loyalty is with the Cardinals" and went on to say he's NOT interested in going to DET, or Miami, or anywhere else, he wants to finish his career in AZ.

Doesn't exactly sound like someone who's packing his bags as we speak.

Good to hear that! Let's get the deal done.:thumbup:

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Shane H said:
I agree Spank. Definitely need to bring in some competition. If Warner goes to the Lions I will not be pleased. But we will have to look at other options including guys like Kitna and Aaron Brooks.
Aaron Brooks would be very nice IMO.

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score
Warner will be a Card for at least 2 more years. Then it's QB coach for us (as someone else has already stated)............

MemphisRam

Veteran
Reaction score
"That always would be intriguing."

Warner's response to a possible move to Detriot and working with Martz.
That's it. Methinks the reading between the lines instead of reading the actual words has lead to some confusion on this thread.;)

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Zeno said:
Kitna's career 2.6 yards per carry does look a lot better than Warner's 2.5 yards :confused: Kitna isn't going to confuse anyone with Jake Plummer when it comes to mobility.

15 months seperate those 2 players in age. Kitna is OK but Warner is better.[/QUOT

I didn't say he was a running QB, but he does move in, out and around in the pocket a bit better than Warner and can take a hit much better than Warner.
I'm not saying that we should leave Warner go. I'll be perfectly happy if he resigns with us. But if Warner was to leave we could do a lot worse than a guy like Kitna, And Kitna would'nt be like trading down from a cadillac to a Ford.

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
for some reason i thought that martz turned down the lions oc position. did he change his mind.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Warner has SEVEN kids now. He has a pair of twins that are only a few months old.

Could you imagine having to move this family? Again? To Detriot of all places?

Me thinks Warner is bluffing!

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
MadCardDisease said:
Warner has SEVEN kids now. He has a pair of twins that are only a few months old.

Could you imagine having to move this family? Again? To Detriot of all places?

Me thinks Warner is bluffing!

He may be bluffing, but FYI - nobody actually lives in downtown Detroit, and their are suburbs of that metro area that would make most suburbs in America look low-rent.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If DET were to offer Warner the keys to the offense and let him start, his "loyalty" to the Cards may begin to waver a little bit. At that point, it may become a money issue.

If Warner signs somewhere else, 5-11 may look like a championship type season.

As for Josh...perhaps someone can answer this for me:

Given how Green handled Josh, why does anyone think Josh would re-sign here if Warner bails out for greener pastures? Josh will get offers elsewhere and my guess is the Cards are the bottom of his list as long as Green is here.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AZCB34 said:
As for Josh...perhaps someone can answer this for me:

Given how Green handled Josh, why does anyone think Josh would re-sign here if Warner bails out for greener pastures? Josh will get offers elsewhere and my guess is the Cards are the bottom of his list as long as Green is here.

He would resign here if he got enough money, no Warner, and being named the #1 QB. It would almost certainly take more money than other teams would pay.

But, my feeling is, Warner will resign here. This Martz and Warner stuff seems to be St. Louis driven because it would be a great story there.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
AZCB34 said:
He would be ******** to not take the job here if we guaranteed him the starter's job. The problem is he would never get that promise here nor anywhere else in the NFL.

JC_AZ

JC_AZ
Reaction score
So HOW MUCH DOES THIS TELL YOU?

So maybe Aaron Brooks is not so bright.. or maybe he likes the guard better? Besides, if you were frustrated with some of Josh's inconsistency... Brooks is equally bad or worse, and a crybaby to boot...

I say HELL NO to Brooks

100%CardsFan said:
You must be registered for see images attach

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Arizona's Finest said:
I've been thinkin this for about a month now and this news, while likely speculation and posturing, makes me more sure how this off season will go at the QB position.

Green will soon trade for Culpepper and Warner will not be resigned, by choice of the Cardinals. Thats why i think this has dragged on like it is, b/c it is naive to think that Denny is not VERY interested to reunite with his old QB......

Bring on Culpepper!!! I wan't Culpepper 1000 times more then Warner

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JC_AZ said:
So maybe Aaron Brooks is not so bright.. or maybe he likes the guard better? Besides, if you were frustrated with some of Josh's inconsistency... Brooks is equally bad or worse, and a crybaby to boot...

I say HELL NO to Brooks

It tells me that you don't know that Brooks wears #2, not #5.

You must be registered for see images

duckfallas

All Star
Reaction score
CardinalChris said:
Which is why I am OK slightly overpaying him, because the alternative is a passing offense without a passer. Working in Arizona's favor is the fact that it is the Lions. Warner sort of reestablished himself here this year, leaving and struggling would hurt him. I think he stays, and I think we pay him 6-7 mil a year. I'm more intruiged by the number of years than the $ truthfully.

The Cards would be nuts to pay Warner 6-7 mil per year. I wouldn't pay him anymore than 5 mil a year for 3 years. You could get McCown for much less than either of those figures. He was throwing for 300 yards a game to these WR's too. Plus he's younger and more durable.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
duckfallas said:
The Cards would be nuts to pay Warner 6-7 mil per year. I wouldn't pay him anymore than 5 mil a year for 3 years. You could get McCown for much less than either of those figures. He was throwing for 300 yards a game to these WR's too. Plus he's younger and more durable.

If we wound up paying that much per year, there's no doubt in my mind that the 6-7 mil would be more than half salary. Meaning we could cut him in the second year and clear cap space if it's a disaster.

I'm the least worried I've ever been about overpaying some players a little. If you look at joeshmo's numbers we can cut a whole bunch of players that would clear cap space. But, even without cutting players, the rumor is the cap could go up more than expected.

And, I'd like to add, Davis' contract is just begging to be restructed. By guaranteeing 6 mil of his salary this year, we'd clear 3mil in cap space without extending his contract.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
A nice little parallel that no one seems to have touched on:

It's pretty much a given that Green has mishandled McCown, right? No one's really going to be surprised to see Josh leave, at least partly because of the yo-yo starting job. At the start of last year, Green praised McCown as Brett Favre-like. Then he benched him. Then JM got his job back. Then a veteran was brought in. Etc.

Now, if you look at Warner's 2002-03 with the Rams, he pretty much went through the same thing and worse. McCown lost his tenuous grasp on the starter's position in Arizona but Warner was kicked out as king of that little camelot. To think that Warner would willingly re-associate himself with the coach who did that to him is beyond imagination to me.

In a few years when Green's the coach of a new team and Josh is a free agent again, will people automatically start guessing that Green will want McCown?

Last edited:

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
moklerman said:
In a few years when Green's the coach of a new team and Josh is a free agent again, will people automatically start guessing that Green will want McCown?

Worse. People will assume McCown will want Green!! Which is the scenario being discussed in this thread.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser