Was anyone else worried this was gonna happen?

dinesh15

Rookie
Reaction score
I thought for sure Mike McCarthy was gonna go for 2 after the Hail Mary..

I think if he had done that, it could have been game over for us.. our defense was shellshocked and gassed out..

You have the best QB in the NFL, he is run threat as well and he can make smart decisions. he should have put the game on his QB's hands.. But I am very glad he didn't though...

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was afraid they were going to go for two also. Glad they didn't.

OP
OP
D

dinesh15

Rookie
Reaction score
Yeah especially when they have Jeff Janis and Jared A as their top two receivers. it looked like a no brainer for me..

Think if they did the shovel pass on the 2 point conversion..

what a play design by BA and what a time to use it..

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I never even thought about it and I don't think it would have been the right call at all. You don't put your entire season on one play at the end of the game (when you have the easy option of tying the game) where anything can happen. The odds are much higher that you will at least have a chance to win in OT than they are that you score the 2 point conversion.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
I agree to. Can't believe they didn't go for 2, glad they didn't.

Dude

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
With no time on the clock in the playoff? NO!

:mulli:

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Never, ever will that happen in the NFL. If he went for it and lost, he would have been fired before he got back to the locker room.

They had every reason to be confident heading into the OT.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
I would of gone for two there.

The odds are in your favor.

Defense is shocked.

The odds are pretty good anyhow.

If you lose the coin flip what can happen to you did happen to them. It was the perfect spot to do that.

Dude

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I would of gone for two there.

The odds are in your favor.

Defense is shocked.

The odds are pretty good anyhow.

If you lose the coin flip what can happen to you did happen to them. It was the perfect spot to do that.

Stick to Madden.

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Right or wrong, Arians would have gone for two in that situation. No doubt.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Right or wrong, Arians would have gone for two in that situation. No doubt.
Arians would have kicked the extra point and believed in his team in OT. Granted we do have Cat and an extra point isn't exactly a sure thing with him.

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Arians would have kicked the extra point and believed in his team in OT. Granted we do have Cat and an extra point isn't exactly a sure thing with him.

Just like he would have not passed down at the goal line to run out the clock.
No risk it, no biscuit.

OP
OP
D

dinesh15

Rookie
Reaction score
Arians with Carson would have kicked the Extrapoint..

Arians with Rodgers as his QB would have gone for 2. thats what I believe. its not a knock on Carson, but AR can punch it in with his legs as well which Carson cannot do..

Dude

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Just like he would have not passed down at the goal line to run out the clock.
No risk it, no biscuit.

We all knew that was coming. If you guys can't see how stupid it would have been to go for two then god can't help you.

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
We all knew that was coming. If you guys can't see how stupid it would have been to go for two then god can't help you.

From http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...-bruce-arians-got-win-mike-mccarthy-learn-nfl

The irony, of course, is that they're advancing at the expense of the Packers and coach Mike McCarthy, who leaves the postseason in the wake of another game management blunder. Last year, it was McCarthy's hyper-conservative decision-making early in the game which cost the Packers critical points they would need later in the contest.
This year, it was not going for two after the Hail Mary. Kickers hit 94.2 percent of their extra points this year; that figure rose to 97.6 percent indoors, and Crosby was 36-for-36 this year, so let's just be kind and say that Crosby's going to tie the game 98 percent of the time. (Vikings fans will tell you that no kick is automatic.) So 2 percent of the time, the Packers lose without ever getting to overtime.
If the Packers do go to overtime, they're going to be underdogs. The Cardinals were seven-point favorites heading into the contest; after taking out the vig, the implied odds from the Vegas money line suggested that the Packers had a 26 percent chance of winning the game. Green Bay had certainly played better than they had during Arizona's regular-season blowout in the previous matchup, but they had lost Randall Cobb and needed two Hail Mary completions to tie the game.
It's almost always better for the underdog to try to turn the game into a shorter contest. Taken to an extreme, if you're playing Steph Curry one-on-one and you start with the ball, it's better to play to one than 11, because you might fire off a jumper and get lucky, but you're not going to hit 11 shots over Steph without giving him the ball.
Even an aggressive estimate would suggest that the Packers had, say, a 40 percent chance of winning the game if it went into overtime. Factor in the aforementioned possibility of a missed Crosby extra point and you're down to a 39 percent shot if you kick the extra point. The chances of the Packers converting their two-pointer are almost definitely better than 39 percent. The league has converted 48.1 percent of its attempts over the past three years, with the Packers going 5-for-9. Give the Cardinals credit for a tough defense and take into consideration that the Packers don't have a great running game. You're still going to find it difficult to come up with a scenario in which the chances of winning the game heading into overtime are better than converting a two-pointer.
And if you really want, pretend for a moment that the percentages are tied. There's also the small matter of the M-word. If you believe that momentum is a meaningful concept in terms of how teams win and lose football games -- and I am admittedly skeptical -- why would you ever let the game slip into overtime? Having knocked the Cardinals onto the ropes with one of the more stunning sequences in playoff history and with a minute to figure out which play you wanted to run while referees reviewed the touchdown, why wouldn't McCarthy think that his chances of winning the game were better with one immediate play?
All things weren't equal, and that included Arizona's coaching advantage. McCarthy played it safe yet again, and it ended up costing his team another postseason in the prime of the 32-year-old Rodgers' career. He coached to put off losing as long as possible. Arians coached to win, and while it raised some eyebrows and nearly cost his team the victory, he made far more defensible decisions than his counterpart.
McCarthy's choice was safer and attracted far less attention, but that doesn't make his decision the correct one. Instead of going by the book, McCarthy could take a page out of Arians'. A lot of coaches should.

Dude

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If you think I'm reading all that about this topic you would have gone for two.

Dumb as dumb can be. NO WAY.............:bang:

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If you think I'm reading all that you would have gone for two.

Dumb as dumb can be. NO WAY.............:bang:

tl;dr the chances of GB winning on going for 2 are higher than the chance of winning in OT.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05