We could be 2-0

flocker

Rookie
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I sure wish we would have drafted Ben Roethlisberger last year instead of Fitz. We could be 2-0 right now and a favorite to win the Super Bowl. Don't get me wrong, Fitz is a nice player, although he's been a bit of a disappointment. No where near a bust yet, but his numbers are a bit deceiving.

With Big Ben we would be set for the long term with two other receivers. I don't like it when the head coach is given complete control of personnel decisions. They just hire friends and guys that will listen to them, but not necessarily play well for them. I wonder if Coach Green would have given Roethlisbergers father a cozy job?

That's why I don't like the pending Bennett deal. Man, just think if we could be 2-0 right now. It would feel a lot better.

CardinalLaw

Reaction score
:doi:Yeah if only we had a QB that could throw 9 passes a game, we would be set. Ryan Leaf would do the same as Big Ben in Pittsburgh.

Would we have also went 15 and 1 last year?

Derm

slippery when wet
Reaction score
...and if your mom & dad waited to have children, you wouldn't be here.

It's kinda hard to go back in time and rearrange history - unless the CIA is holding back on what they're doing these days.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
flocker said:
I sure wish we would have drafted Ben Roethlisberger last year instead of Fitz. We could be 2-0 right now and a favorite to win the Super Bowl. Don't get me wrong, Fitz is a nice player, although he's been a bit of a disappointment. No where near a bust yet, but his numbers are a bit deceiving.

With Big Ben we would be set for the long term with two other receivers. I don't like it when the head coach is given complete control of personnel decisions. They just hire friends and guys that will listen to them, but not necessarily play well for them. I wonder if Coach Green would have given Roethlisbergers father a cozy job?

That's why I don't like the pending Bennett deal. Man, just think if we could be 2-0 right now. It would feel a lot better.

Actually if you wish to look at mistakes in drafting a QB, look at the mistake of Calvin Pace and Bryant Johnson instead of Byron Leftwich.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
flocker said:

This Post is wrong on every level. Pittsburgh line is the best in football and Roethlisberger is putting up average numbers with them. He has managed the game fairly well in that system.

But, with our O-line he would either be viewed as a horrible QB or he would be on the IR.

If we did not draft Fitz, we would only have one good reciever on the team. I am tired of hearing we should have drafted Roethlisberger, when it is plainly obvious he would have been worse than McCown was last year with this team.

Fitz may be Green's friend, but Green brought him here because of his incredible ability that is far superior to Roethlisberger.

SeattleCard

Back in Arizona!!!
Reaction score
Chris_Sanders said:
Actually if you wish to look at mistakes in drafting a QB, look at the mistake of Calvin Pace and Bryant Johnson instead of Byron Leftwich.

Not sure I agree with that; Leftwich isn't that spectacular. (not that CP and BJ are...)

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But in any event, QB play has little to do with why we are 0-2.

Unless you can find a QB that can play offensive line and special teams.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SeattleCard said:
Not sure I agree with that; Leftwich isn't that spectacular. (not that CP and BJ are...)

He isn't spectacular, but he is a LOT better than the Pace and Johnson. He is certainly a solid QB. Anyway, I am fairly happy with Warner right now.

CardinalLaw

Reaction score
If only we would have drafted Tom Brady we would have won 3 of the last 4 Super Bowls.:bang:

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
CardinalLaw said:
If only we would have drafted Tom Brady we would have won 3 of the last 4 Super Bowls.:bang:

Bah, Tom Brady is a system QB if there ever was one.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A few points:

1) While Pittsburgh has the best line in football, what Roethlisberger has done behind it is nothing short of remarkable by any standards--especially for a rookie. He hasn't lost a regular season game, people.

2) Roethlisberger would not be enjoying the same kind of success here. Warner is doinf more than he would be able to.

3) I'd love to have Roethlisberger.

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
Even if we drafted Roethlisberger he would have looked average here without a strong running attack IMO.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
LoyaltyisaCurse said:
Pittsburgh line is the best in football

How is this possible if we stole Oliver Ross from them?!?

A-Bomb

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That Ben is in a great situation is undeniable but at some point people have to stop saying anybody could do that and give the kid some credit.

all offseason we read sophomore slump predictions, all preseason it was Ben is not playing well, his teammates don't like him, he's a flake. So he comes out 72% in his first 2 games, 4 Td's 0 picks, already has 4 plays over 40 yards and a YPA stat that's pretty amazing, 14.75!

He lost his favorite WR, his best WR missed essentially all of camp in a contract dispute, the top 2 RB's are injured(although the #3 is now the starter and will stay the starter according to Cowher). The vaunted OL lost 2 starters to FA including the immortal Oliver Ross and yet Ben is still leading the NFL with a passer rating of 153.6 after 2 games and people still want to insist none of that is his doing?

CardinalLaw

Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
That Ben is in a great situation is undeniable but at some point people have to stop saying anybody could do that and give the kid some credit.

all offseason we read sophomore slump predictions, all preseason it was Ben is not playing well, his teammates don't like him, he's a flake. So he comes out 72% in his first 2 games, 4 Td's 0 picks, already has 4 plays over 40 yards and a YPA stat that's pretty amazing, 14.75!

He lost his favorite WR, his best WR missed essentially all of camp in a contract dispute, the top 2 RB's are injured(although the #3 is now the starter and will stay the starter according to Cowher). The vaunted OL lost 2 starters to FA including the immortal Oliver Ross and yet Ben is still leading the NFL with a passer rating of 153.6 after 2 games and people still want to insist none of that is his doing?

You do know his 4 passes over 40 were screen passes, I have to say thats all line and Willie.

OP
OP
flocker

flocker

Rookie
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
azdad1978 said:
Even if we drafted Roethlisberger he would have looked average here without a strong running attack IMO.

Well instead of drafting Fitz we could have drafted Steven Jackson then. We probably could have even traded down and gotten even more value to go along with Jackson. Maybe a nice o-lineman in the second round?

I guess the point that we all agree on is that Fitz was not the best pick for this team at that point in time. Fitz will end up a nice second receiver on any team he's with. Coach Green made that pick for reasons other than "best interest of the team" rationale.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
flocker said:
Well instead of drafting Fitz we could have drafted Steven Jackson then. We probably could have even traded down and gotten even more value to go along with Jackson. Maybe a nice o-lineman in the second round?

I guess the point that we all agree on is that Fitz was not the best pick for this team at that point in time. Fitz will end up a nice second receiver on any team he's with. Coach Green made that pick for reasons other than "best interest of the team" rationale.

I absolutely do not agree with this. Fitzgerald was a fantastic pick. Did you watch week 1?

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
CardinalLaw said:
You do know his 4 passes over 40 were screen passes, I have to say thats all line and Willie.

I thought he had a long pass to Randle El :shrug:

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
flocker said:

Then if we have drafted Jackson they we won't have Roethlisberger. So then We are still stuck without a franchise QB. Besides there's always a trade off if we have drafted Roethlisberger and the whole draft boards would have change meaning there's a chance Dansby would have been picked in the first round and so does Dockett too.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
flocker said:
I guess the point that we all agree on is that Fitz was not the best pick for this team at that point in time.

I dont agree and again; what makes you think S. Jackson would survive our swiss cheese line?

Jim Brown would have a hard time averaging 3ypc behind this line as it is now and last year.

Fitz was a top 3 talent and we drafted him as such. I am not unhappy with that draft at all.

Like others have said here, if you want to complain about a draft, complain about the Pace/Johnson Draft.

Fitz and Boldin are both pro-bowl caliber recievers...

CardinalLaw

Reaction score
Whats with the attempted revolt against Fitz. He will be a great player for us for years to come. I wouldn't want any other player in the draft.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
CardinalLaw said:

Actually no they weren't, he had a 63 yarder to Randle El that was a bomb that Antwaan made a great catch on but it was all arm by Ben a fly pattern not a screen. The 48 yarder to Parker in that game was a screen. Last week he hit Randle El on a 50+ yarder and Cedrick Wilson on a 40 yarder where he scrambled and threw the ball all the way across the field to Wilson. From the highlights I saw one of those 4 balls were screens.

FYI, Ben also has a knee that was bad enough he was listed as Questionable to play on Sunday and he still put up those numbers.

Parker has been incredible I don't deny it but if you read the game stories the Texans at times were playing 9 men in coverage because they thought they could sucker Ben into picks like in the playoffs last year, and Ben still completed passes and moved the ball and didn't turn it over.

At some point people are going to have to realize that not all of his success is due to the team he's actually doing things himself too.

OP
OP
flocker

flocker

Rookie
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I would have taken Leftwich in 2003.Then I would have taken Jackson in 2004 (plus having a nice 2nd rounder in either 2004 or 2005) and Jamal Brown this year. Add Quan to the mix and that is one potent offense. Amazes me that we let this slip through our hands.

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree that this team needs a better O-line, a young & talented QB and a better run game. That said, I don't think Fitz was a bust and nor do I think he will be.

Look ahead, not behind.

OP
OP
flocker

flocker

Rookie
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
CardinalLaw said:
Whats with the attempted revolt against Fitz. He will be a great player for us for years to come. I wouldn't want any other player in the draft.

There's no revolt against Fitz. He's an OK player. We just had other needs at that time and place in history. Why build an offense around two #1 receivers when we obviously needed a QB or running back?

Look how that same strategy is imploding in Detroit.