We could be 2-0

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Pariah said:
Stop it. Just stop it already.

Jim Brown, Walter Payton, Barry Sanders, Gayle Sayers, OJ Simpson...the list of great RB goes on that would still be gaining plenty of yards behind this line. The great ones are great because they make something out of nothing.

Is our line bad? Yeah, it's really bad. But it's not so bad that a very good RB can't do something behind it.

I don't know how old you are, but I remember that OJ was considered a bust in Buffalo until they got a decent O-lne... and, for all his talent - I saw Barry Sanders stuffed behind the line and games where he had 30,40 yards.

O-lines matter big-time!

That said... I don't think our line is as bad as some say. Trite to say, but continuity comes with time... and I think this line will improve with each passing game.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Crazy Canuck said:
I don't know how old you are, but I remember that OJ was considered a bust in Buffalo until they got a decent O-lne... and, for all his talent - I saw Barry Sanders stuffed behind the line and games where he had 30,40 yards.
For every play Barry was stopped behind the line he has two that he turned into positive yards after first contact in the backfield. He played behind some truly terrible offensive lines.

I added OJ as an afterthought. You're probably right.

BTW, I'm 12.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Pariah said:
For every play Barry was stopped behind the line he has two that he turned into positive yards after first contact in the backfield. He played behind some truly terrible offensive lines.

I added OJ as an afterthought. You're probably right.

BTW, I'm 12.

Well, young man... please tell your home room teacher that an old guy said you are one of the few of your age that can write a complete sentence. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Brighteyes

Super Bowl!
Reaction score
flocker said:
I sure wish we would have drafted Ben Roethlisberger last year instead of Fitz. We could be 2-0 right now and a favorite to win the Super Bowl. Don't get me wrong, Fitz is a nice player, although he's been a bit of a disappointment. No where near a bust yet, but his numbers are a bit deceiving.

With Big Ben we would be set for the long term with two other receivers. I don't like it when the head coach is given complete control of personnel decisions. They just hire friends and guys that will listen to them, but not necessarily play well for them. I wonder if Coach Green would have given Roethlisbergers father a cozy job?

That's why I don't like the pending Bennett deal. Man, just think if we could be 2-0 right now. It would feel a lot better.

BUT would any of that be meaningful if the Japanese had attacked Pearl Harbor?

Oh wait. They did. Never mind.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brighteyes said:
BUT would any of that be meaningful if the Japanese had attacked Pearl Harbor?

Oh wait. They did. Never mind.

I thought that was the Germans?

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Flocker:

Trolls are not tolerated here. Your posts so far are troll-like.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
I have had a knack for picking the guy i wanted to draft and who the team actually picked. Theres a good chance no one will believe me about this (and thats ok) but i wanted Ben at the time, (i though his spiral, size, and mobility at Miami of Ohio were comparable to Daunte ) over Fitz but im def. not dissapointed how it turned out because i think Fitz is a Pro Bowler for years to come.

I was torn between Rolle and Caddy (i still cant believe Miami picked Brown over him, Williams was the starter for a reason and got goal line carries for a reason as well. Total Mike Mamula combine stock for Ronnie) but it turns out we didn't have a choice as Rolle thankfully dropped to us. (as it turns out DJ wouln't have been bad either)

The one that hurts the most for me personally was the year we drafted Thomas Jones. Now after we drafted him, i did what i usually do and spin it so i end up convincing myself its the right thing to do, but I was a BIG proponent of drafting Urlacher out of New Mexico. Now that is exactly what we need. A sideline to sideline tackling machine. Sigh. Im religious about the draft (as a cards fan its always the best time of year after all) and i thought Urlacher would turn out to be a stud. Unfortunatly he did....for the Bears. And to pour salt in the wound, the end up getting TJ anyway and hes actually looking like a good back for them......

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
CardinalLaw said:
:doi:Yeah if only we had a QB that could throw 9 passes a game, we would be set. Ryan Leaf would do the same as Big Ben in Pittsburgh.

Would we have also went 15 and 1 last year?

Did no one else see this? Have you even watched Ben except for the playoffs?

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Arizona's Finest said:
Theres a good chance no one will believe me about this (and thats ok) but i wanted Ben at the time ...over Fitz
I would guess there were only about 50% of the posters who actually wanted Fitz in that draft. Roethlisberger, Roy Williams and Sean Taylor all had supporters on this board.

Rocco

All Star
Reaction score
Pariah said:
Stop it. Just stop it already.

Jim Brown, Walter Payton, Barry Sanders, Gayle Sayers, OJ Simpson...the list of great RB goes on that would still be gaining plenty of yards behind this line. The great ones are great because they make something out of nothing.

Is our line bad? Yeah, it's really bad. But it's not so bad that a very good RB can't do something behind it.

A hall of fame type running back could probably do a little bit behind our line, like Emmit last year, but they can't be expected to give us a solid, consistent running game.

Walter Payton had a not so good line his rookie year and he had a tough time. Gayle Sayers had some average to decent lines in Chicago as did Barry Sanders in Detroit.

Buffalo had some horrible lines early in OJ's career and Simpson was considered a bust at the time. In fact, he was almost moved to wide receiver. Then Lou Saban came in and built a great line to support him. The rest is history.

OP
OP
flocker

flocker

Rookie
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Skkorpion said:
Flocker:

I'm not getting the jist of this. I just have an opinion about the draft history of the team. I'm not dissing anybody on the team. I'm not flaming any Cardinal fan here. Just doing a little revisionist history. Isn't that we fans do best?

I read all the rules of the site and don't believe that I have violated any.

Maybe a private message could help me understand. Thank you for your time

Wild Card

Surfin' Bird
Reaction score
Skkorpion said:
Flocker:

Skkorp:

Maybe they're not tolerated, but they sure seem to get an enthusiastic response. Five pages and counting... ;)

WC

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rocco said:
Buffalo had some horrible lines early in OJ's career and Simpson was considered a bust at the time. In fact, he was almost moved to wide receiver. Then Lou Saban came in and built a great line to support him. The rest is history.

The Electric Company!

Too bad OJ's name will forever be linked to 2 murders, he was a hell of a player but I can't separate the 2 in my mind.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Arizona's Finest said:
The one that hurts the most for me personally was the year we drafted Thomas Jones. Now after we drafted him, I did what I usually do and spin it so I end up convincing myself it's the right thing to do, but I was a BIG proponent of drafting Urlacher out of New Mexico.
Another example of drafting for need.

Rocco

All Star
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
The Electric Company!

Too bad OJ's name will forever be linked to 2 murders, he was a hell of a player but I can't separate the 2 in my mind.

Me either. I used to be a fan of his.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05