We have leverage!

NeverSayDieFan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I read all the posts on why we passed on Suggs last year and selected Pace & Johnson. Was it about $$?? Signability?? Bad PR on Suggs?? Here's the bottom-line--It doesn't matter. That was then & this is now. I believe that the Cardinal management is changing. The signing of Coach Green was a huge statement. As for F/A we picked up a couple good, young players that should help. ...And now we're getting ready for the draft, where again, I expect us to accomplish most, if not all, of our goals. I started this thread talking about "leverage". ...And it's we, the FANS, who have it. Reality is IF the ownership, for whatever reason, shows that it is unwilling to put a winner on the field, the team will be playing to an EMPTY stadium in 2006. They KNOW IT!! ...AND we KNOW IT! PERIOD!! Can you imagine the field day the media would have with that?? "If you build a stadium, NO ONE will come". Brutal! ...And deservedly so. BUT I don't believe this is going to happen. We ARE going to become a "competitive" team. I don't doubt that. Whether we become a "champion" or not remains to be seen.

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The stadium changed everything if it sits empty the Bidwills' will not make money on the team and they have no other source of income.

ThunderCard

Reaction score
They will still make money regardless if the stadium is full or not. With TV rights and everything else I think the NFL is the only guaranteed winning franchise year after year. Is there even a NFL franchise that is losing money ??

OP
OP
N

NeverSayDieFan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
True "Thunder" BUT

my belief is that the NFL hierarchy would step in IF the Cardinals we're playing to a brand-new EMPTY stadium. Keep in mind that the Super Bowl will be played here, and that'll draw plenty of media attention. I doubt the NFL, in light of getting its' PR "eye" blackened quite a bit recently, would want to endure any more national embarassment. So, YES, the franchise makes $$ regardless of winning or losing BUT M. Bidwill strikes me as the type, especially because of his successful career away from FB, that won't allow himself to be made a fool of in the eyes of the public. Again, if they thought they were bringing in Coach Green to be a "YES' man, then they picked the wrong guy. Either he will be "allowed" to win or he will reach a point of frustration and resign. Time will tell HOW serious this team--from top to bottom--is about winning. BUT things are definitely more hopeful than they've been in a long, long time. I see making the play-offs in 98' as an "accident". THe ONLY real competitive team we've ever fielded was in the mid-70's under Coach Coryell. ...And he was fired!! Someday, I want the answer to why you fire the most successful coach in your teams' history. GO CARDS!!

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Scuttlebutt was, when Green was hired, that the NFL encouraged the Cards/Green union thinking it would improve revenue from Arizona. The Cards WILL make more money in the new stadium. Even if they draw 10,000 a game. They will share none of the game day revenues, the naming rights, etc. A big, big difference from what they have now.

OP
OP
N

NeverSayDieFan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Good point BUT

what about "EGO"?? We all know there's alot of it in the world of sports. I STILL think there will be subtle pressures" applied by the NFL "powers" that be IF the Cards are an embarassment. BUT I honestly don't see it happening. EVERYTHING I'm reading about the current direction of the team is positive. EVEN the latest news on our mini-camp. I think the word "hunger" applies. It's being "developed" in the players by Coach Green & his staff. It's either "get w/the program and be part of something "special"--or GET OUT!! There's not going to be a middle ground. For the 1st time in a long time, I have genuine hope. GO CARDS!!

dopleganger

Veteran
Reaction score
vikesfan said:
The stadium changed everything if it sits empty the Bidwills' will not make money on the team and they have no other source of income.

All that means is that they will do enough to peek your interest and get you into the stadium. Lets hope they actually want to win because they want to win and will go the exta mile to do it.

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
ThunderCard said:
They will still make money regardless if the stadium is full or not. With TV rights and everything else I think the NFL is the only guaranteed winning franchise year after year. Is there even a NFL franchise that is losing money ??
Yes but not as much money.

It does cost money to run an NFL team.
Remember the NFL mandates as certain amount of that money must be spent on players you can't just pocket it. Then the team has to spend money on coaches, GM, offices, office staff, paper, pens, scouts, and tons of other stuff to keep a franchise running.

Once you remove those 2 expenses there is not tons of money left over. PLUS the Bidwills have no other income other then what they get from the NFL so if they want to live like millionaires they need to make money.

That is why the stadium is crucial. That money all goes to them and they can do with it what they want. If they want to keep it filled they need to invest in a few FAs etc but the rest is all gravey to them and they can continue living their millionaire lifestyles (I don't even know how many of them there are but its not just 1 guy so if they all want to live the good life they need more money).

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
vikesfan said:
Yes but not as much money.

It does cost money to run an NFL team.
Remember the NFL mandates as certain amount of that money must be spent on players you can't just pocket it. Then the team has to spend money on coaches, GM, offices, office staff, paper, pens, scouts, and tons of other stuff to keep a franchise running.

Once you remove those 2 expenses there is not tons of money left over. PLUS the Bidwills have no other income other then what they get from the NFL so if they want to live like millionaires they need to make money.

That is why the stadium is crucial. That money all goes to them and they can do with it what they want. If they want to keep it filled they need to invest in a few FAs etc but the rest is all gravey to them and they can continue living their millionaire lifestyles (I don't even know how many of them there are but its not just 1 guy so if they all want to live the good life they need more money).

Yes there will be a lot of money left over even if they don't fill up the stadium but then again you feel that if you make less then millions it'll be hard for your family to have a good life :rolleyes: