Week 3 Snap Counts and maybe some thoughts

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
That is a narrative award, though.

Detroit was 23rd in defense last year. Right now (still early!), they're 9th. Terrion Arnold is playing +90% of snaps for the Lions. He's +3000 RN. The Lions have SIX primetime/national games the rest of the year. He's gonna get a lot of attention if he makes a few plays in those and the Lions win 11 games or more.
True. I would argue that pass rushers get more of the narrative than DBs. Like I said, long odds for a reason, but getting a decent price.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Soooooo, what exactly are you trying to say?
I am trying not to say a lot. lol

I feel like there are enough player critical threads on this board, and what I am hoping to do is make this one more about who is getting snaps and why/why not. Focus on opportunities earned/lost, the depth chart as the season progresses, and look at personnel usage depending on matchups and game scripts.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Yep. Monti took a problem position into the offseason and still has a problem position even though he threw resources at it. Not good. Maybe Darius will come in and improve the issues. Unless he improves them incredibly, though, it will still be unresolved. Time will tell.
I agree. The DL is our weakest position talent wise. I wanted better talent there & felt like Monti only signed backup talent. Robinson is said to be able to play inside also, I hope he makes a difference.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kinda weird how they abandoned their multiple TE packages so quickly. It's like they wanted the Lions in nickel but then struggled to exploit it once they got it.

Especially weird as the Lions have been getting gashed in the passing game when in base defense and Anzalone was out too so Campbell played more, and Campbell is bad in coverage.

The best way to play the Lions is lots of 12/13.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Before we start patting ourselves on the back for our defensive back room, it's critical to remember that we're 30th in Adjusted Yards per Attempt right now (despite being in the middle of the pack in passing yardage allowed).

That's not a pressure problem, probably. We're middle of the pack in pressure percentage. It's a coverage problem. We're dead last in the NFL in completion percentage allowed. We've faced the second-fewest passing attempts in the NFL (bizarrely).

Eventually teams are going to catch on.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
I agree. The DL is our weakest position talent wise. I wanted better talent there & felt like Monti only signed backup talent. Robinson is said to be able to play inside also, I hope he makes a difference.

Probably the plan is to build a great DL through the draft.

This, vs. trying to build a great DL through FA (and overpaying for star FAs which so often seems to not work)

Or building a mid DL with mid FA acquisitions.

I would bet a million dollars our 1st round pick next year is either a IDL or an EDGE player and that we spend a bunch of draft capital on those two groups.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

This, vs. trying to build a great DL through FA (and overpaying for star FAs which so often seems to not work)

I would bet a million dollars our 1st round pick next year is either a IDL or an EDGE player and that we spend a bunch of draft capital on those two groups.
LOL... dude.... That aint news. Nobody is taking that bet.
2025 draft is heavy in defensive front. the talent value will be in defensive front.

of course we are drafting defensive front...every early mock produced so far has us doing so.

The question IMO is round 2... CB?,....EDGE/IDL?...OT? ...IOL?
MLB?

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
LOL... dude.... That aint news. Nobody is taking that bet.
2025 draft is heavy in defensive front. the talent value will be in defensive front.

of course we are drafting defensive front...every early mock produced so far has us doing so.

The question IMO is round 2... CB?,....EDGE/IDL?...OT? ...IOL?
MLB?

So I'm Captain Obvious now? Is that what you're saying? :) lol.. you got it my friend.

I could see us riding with this group of CBs next year, plus maybe one mid FA acquisition so that Sterling Thomas becomes the dime back, and then going EDGE/IDL in round one and two. 100%. I would love that in fact!

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
So I'm Captain Obvious now? Is that what you're saying? :) lol.. you got it my friend.

I could see us riding with this group of CBs next year, plus maybe one mid FA acquisition so that Sterling Thomas becomes the dime back, and then going EDGE/IDL in round one and two. 100%. I would love that in fact!
with the apparent depth in the next draft I would like to see an OLB Edge in round one followed by a NT in round 2...assuming there is a NT worthy of the spot of course...if not, DT/DE will do
as much as redbirds fans are gun shy...a solid ILB might be good in round 2

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
That's not a pressure problem, probably. We're middle of the pack in pressure percentage. It's a coverage problem. We're dead last in the NFL in completion percentage allowed. We've faced the second-fewest passing attempts in the NFL (bizarrely).
it is kinda disheartening to see just how alone WRs are when they catch stuff against the Cards vs when Cardinal receivers catch passes

and in the FWIW file: I think it was Aaron Schwartz at FO that said that coverage is more important the pressure. Forcing a QB to go to option 2 or 3 leads to more sacks than the prototypical quick win by a pass rusher.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
There are two ways to look at this IMO. You can say it is great we found a UDFA CB who beat out a 3rd round pick, 5th round pick, 2nd round pick and another 3rd round pick for our #2 CB spot OR you can say it is disappointing that all of that draft investment can't beat out a guy who has 1 PD in three games, and is giving up a 128.9 QB rating.

I also disagree that this is impressive. Our roster was gutted and still lacks talent. Despite this, we are getting role player production from top 100 drafted players. Yes, historic draft rates are what they are. Btu those rates are for all 32 teams not the ones at the bottom who lack talent and should provide the easiest path to contributing.
I think it’s pretty good. The top 4 picks last, if BJ wasn’t hurt, would all be main contributors.
This year, once Robinson gets healthy, will have the top 4 playing also. Benson is behind a work horse but at least he’s getting some action.
That’s pretty good.
Getting reps from Treion, Stills and other late round guys is just bonus.
The Cards had 8 rookies play over 200 snaps last year and Higgins is right there at 191.
I think that’s very good. Now, whether they played well, is another question. But they did contribute.

Last edited:

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

I would take a pocket busting DT first if available, edge rushers are more plentiful in each draft.