Week 3 Snap Counts and maybe some thoughts

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I’m beginning to wonder about our defensive scheme as related to the DBs and linebacker coverage. Seems like a lot of wide open pass catchers.

Do we have mental deficiencies or does the scheme leads to breakdowns?
This is what a defense looks like when the primary focus is to limit big plays. Gannon is going full bend don't break, and hoping teams get impatient or just make mistakes. This slows games down. Limits number of possessions. Basically trying to keep games tight so the offense can continue to run the ball throughout the game.

If people haven't recognized it, the Cardinals have a very conservative approach. Try to stay on schedule on offense, having a play action pass game reinforced by a strong running game, and then limiting big plays on defense. It isn't "playing not to lose" but it also isn't an aggressive approach.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
It's hard to evaluate our corners when we've never seen them play tight bump and run coverage. The way Rallis has these guys playing gives flashbacks to Vance Joseph. Their job has been to stay 10 yards off receiver, give up easy receptions and make the tackle. This, along with not being able to stop the run, is resulting in long, painful, clock killing drives by the opponent. I would rather play tight man coverage and risk getting burned deep. At least our offense would get the ball back quicker.
I'm in this boat. It is wholly demoralizing and painful to watch. I hate passive D.

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
This is what a defense looks like when the primary focus is to limit big plays. Gannon is going full bend don't break, and hoping teams get impatient or just make mistakes. This slows games down. Limits number of possessions. Basically trying to keep games tight so the offense can continue to run the ball throughout the game.
i feel like 2/3 of the NFL plays defense with this philosophy--

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know it is not really snap count related but does anyone know how many times Kyler was under center vs in Pistol or Shotgun against the Lions?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm in this boat. It is wholly demoralizing and painful to watch. I hate passive D.

Everyone hates passive D until you get burnt for a 60 yard TD.

Cards defense has generally been pretty good at containing teams and frustrating them. Last 2 games only 30 points allowed. Rams put 27 on the Niners defense and they had Kupp for a whole half against us.

They are doing something right. It's not like we gave up 30 points a game.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The secondary is playing like they have been because we don’t have a consistent pass-rush, lol.

You play press-man without a pass-rush, your defense looks like how Cincinnati did against the Commanders.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
The secondary is playing like they have been because we don’t have a consistent pass-rush, lol.

You play press-man without a pass-rush, your defense looks like how Cincinnati did against the Commanders.
Our pressure rate is in the middle of the league. I don't think this is necessarily the case, especially after the Bills game.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know it is not really snap count related but does anyone know how many times Kyler was under center vs in Pistol or Shotgun against the Lions?
It would be interesting if you would chart this every game and post it for the board. Thanks in advance.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score

Agreed and with our young inexperienced, and mid talented back field it is their only choice. IMO

Hopefully with some experience the talent level will go up and then we might see some tighter coverages.

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score

im not sure if pressure is really the issue -- at least vs the Lions

Over and over I saw Goff hit the back foot of his drop and throw to a guy who was pretty open

Lawrence Taylor isnt stopping that

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Our pressure rate is in the middle of the league. I don't think this is necessarily the case, especially after the Bills game.
Yeah, the #'s on the corner room have been pretty gross. I don't think you can say we have any above average starters at corner. If anything, the D as designed is supposed to protect them.