Week 7 Snap Counts and Thoughts

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
On offense.

RG was a rotation with Colon the majority at 65%. Adams did get some work in with the rest.

Conner with a 95% snap rate. They rode him this entire game. We will see how he holds up. Benson got 4 snaps.

Tip played 53% and Higg played 37%. A lot of 3 TE. Also explains why our offense is so limited. Just not a dynamic personnel grouping to run a high powered offense out of.

Dortch was WR3 and played 30%. Jones came back and got 19% work.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
On defense.

All the Starling Thomas at 100%. Look at us. Max Melton played 79% and G Williams played 79% which emphasizes his slot mostly role.

The state of our defensive roster is explained here. Back 7 players all played over 79%. Front 5 guys, only one played over 60%. Only 3 over 50%.

Stills paced the DL guys with 55%. First time he has led the group.

Stille and Okwara both over 40% for the first time (I think).

SMB got 21% of snaps before he left the game.

It looks like the Cardinals just played a bunch of nickel after Gardeck went out.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Tip ran 12 routes on 30 snaps. That is good.

More good news is that the volume of the offense is running through Conner, MHJ, and McBride. The bad news is the volume is still low which limits production.

It seemed like Kyler had more carries but only 3. I personally think that needs to be 6-8 per game to get the most out of him as a player.

WRs only got a combined 12 targets on the game. Again, this highlights the low volume offense.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
On offense.

RG was a rotation with Colon the majority at 65%. Adams did get some work in with the rest.

Conner with a 95% snap rate. They rode him this entire game. We will see how he holds up. Benson got 4 snaps.

Tip played 53% and Higg played 37%. A lot of 3 TE. Also explains why our offense is so limited. Just not a dynamic personnel grouping to run a high powered offense out of.

Dortch was WR3 and played 30%. Jones came back and got 19% work.
Seems to me that the question is:
1. Is our offense limited because we play three TE's, or
2. Is our offense better when we play three TE's?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Both. I think they want to be a ball control offense, and I think they understand the WR room isn't very good so it wouldn't make sense to play 3 and 4 Wr that much.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I think the team is better when we are running 3 TEs. It means we are close, can potentially shorten the game, and lets us focus on our best offensive player, Conner.

I think Kyler's limitations as a passer are more on display when the Cardinals spread things out. He seems the opposite of Kurt when Kurt wanted everything spread out and everyone out in the route. For Kyler, it seems like less and more clearly defined options is better.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Both. I think they want to be a ball control offense, and I think they understand the WR room isn't very good so it wouldn't make sense to play 3 and 4 Wr that much.
I don't think it is about the WR room at all. I think the WR room is a reflection of how the Cardinals want to play on offense, not the other way around. IMO this is why the Cardinals were so comfortable going into the season with Dortch and Jones as WR3/4 this year. Also why they spent a 3rd on a backup TE.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think it is about the WR room at all. I think the WR room is a reflection of how the Cardinals want to play on offense, not the other way around. IMO this is why the Cardinals were so comfortable going into the season with Dortch and Jones as WR3/4 this year. Also why they spent a 3rd on a backup TE.

Right but that goes both ways. If we tried to play 3 and 4 WR's it wouldn't be very effective because we have so little WR talent. Yes that was their preference to be a 3 TE run the ball offense but the people that keep saying open up the offense are ignoring why we don't, because we don't the WR's on the roster to do it.

It's part of why there's so much pressure on Marv, as a rookie, to be great, there are quite a few plays where he's literally the only WR on the field

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Right but that goes both ways. If we tried to play 3 and 4 WR's it wouldn't be very effective because we have so little WR talent. Yes that was their preference to be a 3 TE run the ball offense but the people that keep saying open up the offense are ignoring why we don't, because we don't the WR's on the roster to do it.

It's part of why there's so much pressure on Marv, as a rookie, to be great, there are quite a few plays where he's literally the only WR on the field
....eeehh...we already had a stint with OT4...we may see more spread concepts show up when Williams is back on the field... and losing Hernandez hurt as well. Colon does okay, but the rest of our IOL guys are more run focused in their skillsets...obviously thats our MO but we need these young guys to focus on improving pass protection before we can open it up for more than just an occasional play

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan