Werhli ...a HOF'er

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We locals don't discuss it much but there is a huge disconnect between us and the Cards ring of honor. None of those guys except Pat Tillman hold any interest for us. And Pat should not be in the ring of honor because he wasn't anything special as a football player, in my opinion.

The Cards current ring of honor is just another item of proof that ownership lives in the past and has not fully embraced Arizona as "home."

I think it means that there hasn't been much to cheer about since the Cards have moved here. Sad but true. The St Louis Cards weren't a championship team but they had winning teams.

Last edited:

BigRedArk

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Sanders himself gives Roger his dues in this article:

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/articles/0204halloffame0204.html

Former Cardinal CB chosen for Hall of Fame
Kent Somers
The Arizona Republic
Feb. 4, 2007 12:00 AM

MIAMI - Receiver Michael Irvin, the emotional leader of three Super Bowl teams for the Cowboys, headlined the 2007 Pro Football Hall of Fame class that was selected Saturday.

That group also includes former Cardinals cornerback Roger Wehrli, a quiet, unassuming player who was one of the game's best defensive backs from 1969 to 1982.

Wehrli spent all 14 of his NFL seasons with the St. Louis Cardinals and was in the last year of eligibility as a modern era finalist. He would have moved into the seniors category had he not been selected. advertisement

"I don't know what to say, it's a dream come true," Wehrli said by phone from his home in St. Louis. "It's been a lot of years since I retired. Something like this puts a cap on it."

Wehrli is the 15th Cardinals player to be chosen for the Hall of Fame and the first since Dan Dierdorf in 1996. No Arizona Cardinals player has been selected.

Two other modern era players were selected: Oilers/Titans offensive lineman Bruce Matthews and Bills running back Thurman Thomas.

Also chosen for the Hall of Fame were two seniors candidates: Browns guard Gene Hickerson and Lions tight end Charlie Sanders.

"Every time he stepped on the field, Roger Wehrli gave everything he had and played at the highest level," Cardinals owner Bill Bidwill said in a statement. "When he stepped off of it he also conducted himself with the same level of class and professionalism. He has always been a hall of fame person, and we are thrilled that he has now been recognized as a hall of fame player."

The Cardinals organization worked hard on Wehrli's candidacy, an effort spearheaded by Greg Gladysiewski, who coordinates special projects for the franchise.

Sanders, who played against Wehrli, said the cornerback's skills were deceptive.

"Don't get me wrong on this, when you look at the secondary, you would think that this was a guy you could take advantage of," Sanders said, "and those that played during my era will understand what I'm saying. You didn't typically see the non-Afro-American playing that position. He represented it very well.

"He definitely had the talent. When you looked at him the way he carried himself, you didn't expect to see him perform the way he did."
Irvin was eligible for selection last season but didn't make it.

"It's just such a great honor," he said. "It's an honor you can't reach without playing on a bunch of great football teams and playing with a bunch of great guys. I was fortunate to play on some great football teams."

Matthews played for 19 seasons and 296 games, the most in NFL history when he retired after the 2001 season. He played every position on the line during his career.

Sanders played 10 seasons on mostly bad teams and retired in 1977. He was one of the league's best receiving tight ends, averaging 14.3 yards a catch, and was also an excellent blocker.

Hickerson played for the Browns from 1958 to 1973.

Thomas was a threat as both a runner and receiver and played on four Super Bowl teams.

There were 17 finalists for the 2007 class. Among those who weren't chosen were former commissioner Paul Tagliabue, Redskins offensive lineman Russ Grimm (now an assistant with the Cardinals) and Redskins receiver Art Monk.

TruColor

Trombonist in Roger Goodell's Wedding Rcpt.
Reaction score
We locals don't discuss it much but there is a huge disconnect between us and the Cards ring of honor. None of those guys except Pat Tillman hold any interest for us. And Pat should not be in the ring of honor because he wasn't anything special as a football player, in my opinion.

The Cards current ring of honor is just another item of proof that ownership lives in the past and has not fully embraced Arizona as "home."

But all I've heard throughout the years (decades) is that the Bidwills are HORRIBLE at honoring past players, and the way they treat former players in general.

I thought the idea of a Ring of Honor was a great idea in that finally, the Cardinals were acknowledging their past.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not complaining. I understand the Cards have a long history and wish to honor their best players. It's just a bit weird to be a local fan of this team sometimes.

TruColor

Trombonist in Roger Goodell's Wedding Rcpt.
Reaction score
I'm not complaining. I understand the Cards have a long history and wish to honor their best players. It's just a bit weird to be a local fan of this team sometimes.

It's probably just different for me...I've only spent one year (1969) as a fan living in the general vicinity of the Cardinals...the rest of the time, I've just been on my own - cheering for them from afar.

If I had lived in Arizona when they moved there in 1988, and adopted them at that time, maybe I'd feel the same as you do.

To me, Chicago, St. Louis, Phoenix/Arizona - it doesn't matter. It's the Cardinals.

BigRedMO

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats to Roger Wehrli. I spent many a happy Sunday afternoon watching him. I dont get all this talk that he was not great. He was on the All Decade team of the 70s. Some of this talk makes me it seem like he slid in and you are embarrassed that he made it. Any player that can make the HOF playing for a team that did not win any playoff games for a midwestern city was truely great. If you saw him play you would know he was GREAT. He was shutdown corner and unlike Deon Sanders he could tackle. He was not one of these one diminsional players you see so many of today that are called great.

I find it despicable that there are fans who want to delink the history of the Cardinals pre-Arizona as if it did not exist and dont want to be reminded that they existed before 1988. The team you root for worked to get Wehrli recognized. I have many problems with Bidwill but I give him credit for doing this. There have been so few bright spots since 1988. Why rain on this parade?

What is all this talk about Monk? He was a Redskin who helped Washington keep St. Louis form winning the NFC East in 1984. If you want to root for a WR root for Roy Green. I hate Monk like anybody who was a fan of this team in 1984 should too. Why pollute a thread about one of the few Cardinals greats by praising a Redskin?

Last edited:

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

It is. And its not just all the losing seasons. Its not having a single #1 draft pick or really any offensive player other than Jake Plummer become a star/name player on the national stage until just the last couple of years that was soley an Arizona player.

Hopefully that changes with Q and Leinart.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05