What About Screens?

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
With all the talk about our rookie receivers, Gilmore's speed, Blake's ability to throw long etc., one unanswered question (because none of us has asked it) is how effective our screen plays will turn out to be.

Blake's short. Is he any good at sidearming or dropping the ball over tall DE's or LB's? Has he effectively executed screen plays in the past?

Not so long ago, in Felon Town, the Pukes decided they would not incorporate many (if any) screens into their offense. It's not clear to me if this was because Aikman, Stoerner, Garrett etc. etc. weren't adept at throwing it or if it had anything to do with Emmitt's ability to execute it.

Screens can be devestating in the right offense. I wonder if we'll be willing able to use this weapon.

Discuss.

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
The sweetest play I saw us run last year was a tight end screen to Freddie for a TD, I believe it was against the Giants. I think we only ran it once all year. I hope to see it a lot this year.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Could this years screen plays really turnout worse than the screen plays we have ran the last few years? NO WAY! We looked like popwarner kids out there when we attempted screens...

It has to improve...

TXCardinalsFan

Feeling no pain
Reaction score
Sorry O, but the screen pass to Marcel Shipp was the prettiest. I didn't think that Jake had that capability, but then again, he didn't have to throw it pass the line of scrimmage.

:D

jtav10

Veteran
Reaction score
jeff throws short passes like people throw darts. as coach mac said in practice his fakes are fantastic and he gets balls over defenders,no sidearms ever. many times he hit lewis for 50 yard screens because the defense respects that deep ball. if the oline holds up this is going to be an exciting season and ill predict jeff will have 10 more tds than picks...

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Originally posted by TXCardinalsFan
Sorry O, but the screen pass to Marcel Shipp was the prettiest. I didn't think that Jake had that capability, but then again, he didn't have to throw it pass the line of scrimmage.

I agree, that screen against the Rams was one of the best executed plays in the league last year.

Metal Militia

Veteran
Reaction score
Originally posted by TXCardinalsFan
Sorry O, but the screen pass to Marcel Shipp was the prettiest.

Well, I can see where O was coming from with the Freddie Jones screen for TD at Carolina last year. I liked that one as well because Freddie Jones was grossly underused by Jake all year long. Plummer would have no checkdown ability and he would lock on his primary target...therfore leaving Freddie alone without the ball.

I loved the Marcel screen too. The key to that play was the block that Jason McAddley put on Archuleta of STL. Then, Jason caught up and got in the way of the defensive back to spring Marcel to the endzone. Great effort all around.

Metal Militia

Veteran
Reaction score
Originally posted by JeffGollin
Blake's short. Is he any good at sidearming or dropping the ball over tall DE's or LB's? Has he effectively executed screen plays in the past?

Jeff,

I was at the Glendale practice and I saw a play where Blake was flushed out to his right and he almost threw the ball underhanded. It was a friggin dart to the TE along the sideline. Adrian Wilson made a heck of a read and broke it up, but the point is that he made a unbelievable throw while scrambling. I am so excited for this change at QB!

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With the exception of the two plays last year listed above. This team has been horrible and I do mean HORRIBLE at screen plays for years.

I have no idea what the problem is coaching? Player execution? Whatever it is it needs to be fixed. The screen is a huge weapon and must be utilized more often!

Metal Militia

Veteran
Reaction score
Originally posted by Shane H
With the exception of the two plays last year listed above. This team has been horrible and I do mean HORRIBLE at screen plays for years.

I have no idea what the problem is coaching? Player execution? Whatever it is it needs to be fixed. The screen is a huge weapon and must be utilized more often!

I think that the problem lies in the offensive line sell. The O-Line must intentionally let thier guys get penetration then release out into the flat.

It looks like new O-Line coach Pete Hoener does more in depth teaching than departed coach George Warhop. Hoener coached TE's last year but he is an O-line coach primarily. Hopefully it changes this year.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you talk about the Cards and screen passes the last few years, the only picture I have in my mind is balls sailing over the head of the RB or slamming into the ground 5 feet in front of or behind him. I agree with Shane H that the Cards have not had a decent screen play system since Jake arrived.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our offensive line is going to be a great smash-mouth, straight-ahead type line. I wonder if we'll be able to get those guys out in space, and if they can get there will they be effective?

I love screens when they're executed correctly and at the right time in the game, but I wonder if our offensive personell is suited for it.

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
If we are in fact going to a attacking one gap type scheme, I'd think that we can expect to see a lot more screens run against us with more success. Hopefully the speed we have now will counter them for the most part.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
RB Good Hands.

Originally posted by BEERZ
Could this years screen plays really turnout worse than the screen plays we have ran the last few years? NO WAY! We looked like popwarner kids out there when we attempted screens...

It has to improve...

I completely agree with the above statement. Plus we have RB with good hands. The screen should be utilized more, and I have a feeling a vet like Blake can throw a good screen.

Peace

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05