What About Trying Nash on Manu?

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
When both manu and parker are on the floor and not hill (to hide nash on)?

He's going to get torched by either one, I'm just trying to minimize the amount of torching.

Would he get torched less by manu? Possibly. When nash guards parker the spurs can get a layup or WIDE open shot almost anytime they want off the parker/duncan pick and role. Manu can get layups off that pick and roll too with nash guarding him but I'm not sure it would be as easy. With parker's speed difference over nash he can walk to the basket.

And I'm not sure how much manu would post up. Plus that would seemingly slow the spurs down to expose a post up for a player not normally a post up player.

Maybe I'm drawing at straws but I'm thinking of any way to get nash off parker.

Black Jesus

No Talent Ass-Clown
Reaction score
Ha, thats like putting Nash on Kobe. Not only is Manu extremely crafty, but he is lefty and has a large size advantage.

Nash should be covering George Hill or Roger Mason when possible.

Other than that- Tony Parker, and give him the deep 2, rather than letting him get into the lane, which causes and 1s, foul trouble and easy buckets.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nash on Manu, might as well not even show up.

If you want to hide Nash. Put him on RJ. They don't even pass him the ball anymore.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If you want to hide Nash. Put him on RJ. They don't even pass him the ball anymore.

This.

Because Jefferson isn't a threat to shoot from the perimeter, he gives Nash a shorter ground to cover.

NDSunsfan

Registered
Reaction score

after watching spurs play during the season and especially in the playoffs so far, i've come to the conclusion that RJ may be the worst 'good' basketball player in the NBA. he can't shoot, he doesn't post anyone up, he doesn't handle the ball, he's not a great defender. i can't imagine that popovich is a big RJ fan.

i sense bad karma for los suns decision, but here's hoping they can play like they did monday night. 2-0 would be huge. 1-1 would be bad, really bad.....

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Jefferson would abuse Nash. This might help Jefferson figure out how to stop sucking.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jefferson really should be to us what Shawn Marion was to SA all those years. Someone to hide our worst defender on. Jefferson, much like Marion, can't shoot the outside shot and has no post game, even on a guy much smaller than him. Hide Nash on him, just like Parker hid on Marion and we're no worse for the wear.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
as much as jefferson COULD dominate nash in the post, i don't think he WOULD, for two reasons:

1. jefferson has never shown a dominant post game.

2. it's not part of pop's offense. earlier in the year i was watching the spurs against someone else and the commentators were discussing the fact that jefferson just doesn't really fit in their offense. he's occupying a spot in the offense that's designed to sit in the corner and provide spacing by being able to knock down baseline 3's (ala bowen). so pop's recognized that and moved him in slightly (for midrange shots). but nash can cover the midrange shot. so if pops wants to take advantage of that mismatch he'd have to plant jefferson in the post, thereby bringing more defenders into the paint, clogging up duncan's post and jamming the driving lanes for parker and ginobili, something he's not apt to do.

now do i believe this is a "good" solution? not really. but it's "tryable."

illone

Reaction score
Rj probably won't even be kept on the spurs next year, he's not a very good fit for them, but too much size for nash, he'll just post him up as would manu.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rj probably won't even be kept on the spurs next year, he's not a very good fit for them, but too much size for nash, he'll just post him up as would manu.

a) how the hell are the spurs going to move RJ and his albatross of a contract?

b) even though he's bigger, Jefferson's got no post game whatsoever. I'd welcome them trying this, much like I'm sure Spurs fans welcomed Marion posting up Parker when he used to be hidden on Shawn back in the day.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
Wow I guess the idea of Nash on RJ wasnt so bad lol, when I posted it I thought I'd get laughed at. I think its a good move but I have to see it to believe it.

HooverDam

Reaction score

Exactly I want Nash on Jefferson. RJ is not the player he once was. While he would be able to post Nash up, it would be down low and Collins, Amare, or whoever could come over for weak side blocks and help out. I really don't see RJ going off for 25+, so putting Nash on him should be fine.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
manu might move more without the ball than parker does with the ball lol. I always see him running around the court like the energizer bunny. that would just wear out nash more because ginobili is very shifty, moves a lot more than most, and attacks the basket relentlessly at times. RJ isn't a great matchup for nash, but might be an option. The spurs have never been a good matchup for nash over the years. sure he has lit it up on the offensive end...but they have worn him down over the course of series' just by making him earn everything at both ends. hopefully this year is much different. to me nash looked like he wore them out in that first game. they had no answer for his dribble penetration and ability to finish near the basket. that was something they didn't have to defend against the mavs. all they had to do against dallas was run the guards off of the open three and try their best to confuse dirk.

so while we debate who nash can guard at that end....i think the spurs are having just as much of a debate about how they are going to stop nash from lighting them up without sacrificing their D on other players. They are going to have to leave open shooters if they want to focus more on nash. If not steve can score 30 per game if he is knocking down his shot.

Last edited:

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
What solution would you come up with? Something that isn't a snarky comment, that is.

Snarky?

I just think the Suns would be better off with Nash on Parker than on Jefferson. Put Nash on Parker and JRich on Jefferson, Parker gets 30 and Jefferson gets 5. Put Nash on Jefferson and JRich on Parker, Jefferson gets 20 and Parker gets 25.

OP
OP
H

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
My though was jefferson, who i have seen post up effectively in past, would just murder nash in the post on 3 straight possesions and suns would have to switch.

I've never seen manu post the ball.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Snarky?

I just think the Suns would be better off with Nash on Parker than on Jefferson. Put Nash on Parker and JRich on Jefferson, Parker gets 30 and Jefferson gets 5. Put Nash on Jefferson and JRich on Parker, Jefferson gets 20 and Parker gets 25.
I think that's the best thing. just leave nash on parker most of the time given that parker isn't even playing as much as he normally does. Now if parker's mins go up and he's playing at a high level aka knocking down his outside shot which is his key to success....then things might change for steve. But they should try and take advantage of parker not being his oldself currently....at least until pop starts tony which he may do very soon.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05