What are the odds that the Suns can sign JJ in the off season

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
The Cavs will strongly consider Johnson if Redd doesn't sign with them. He's also likely to get some love from the Bobcats and possibly the Clippers. The Suns are hoping that the interest is limited and that they can re-sign him to a more modest deal. If a bidding war breaks out, the Suns might not be able to keep up.

I think this is media hope more than reality. The media really wants LeBron to succeed and are looking for every player to make Cleveland a great team, that way they could hype him even more, since he sells.

The Suns #1 goal from what I keep hearing is to keep the core together and change around the role players. I would consider JJ part of this core. But I would really enjoy it if Cleveland signed JJ and Phoenix just milked that 14 days to teach them a lesson then match the offer. Make em sweat it out and keep them from signing anyone else. ESPN will be up in arms.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
PetryJr, thanks. That makes me feel a little bit better. I hope that's really what he said. I could easily see Chad Ford hearing Bryan Colangelo say that re-signing JJ was one of their top priorities and writing what he did.

Joe

Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
PetryJr, thanks. That makes me feel a little bit better. I hope that's really what he said. I could easily see Chad Ford hearing Bryan Colangelo say that re-signing JJ was one of their top priorities and writing what he did.

Joe
I still think that is more accurate. They may have said that earlier, but but I think they have backed off that statement.

Thats not to say I don't think JJ will be re-signed. But I do think they aren't taking the stance that other organizations do when dealing with a high profile RFA. Saying publicly that you will match any offer is manipulating the market. I never thought that was a good strategy, because it is too easy to alienate a player by taking money out of their pocket.

I just can't see players and agents going for that much.

My only concern is Cleveland, who need Ray Allen, Michael Redd, or Joe Johnson in the worst way. They need a consistent perimeter shooter, help with perimeter D, and help at the PG spot. And they have the money to overpay one of them. And Redd has stated he would like to be the main option, plus the Bucks just got the #1 pick.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It is always the same thing. How many teams have lost restricted free agents over the last few years who were not named Clippers?

Sarver may not want to spend the money, but it doesn't take long to see what happens to a franchise that duplicates the Clipper mode of making money. They are always profitable and always terrible. Sterling gets his cash flow, but his franchise is not worth as much as winning teams.

Signing JJ is a no brainer. This is just like Manu last year. JJ will visit a few teams and get taken out to lunch. But no one is going to waste 15 days of cap space when they know they have no chance of getting him.