What are you reading now?

Zebes

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The Pentagon's New Map: War and Peace in the 21st Century. Elegant Universe: Superstrings, Hidden Dimensions and the Quest for the Ultimate Theory

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Just finished No True Glory: A Frontline Account of the Battle for Fallujah by Bing West, best book I've read so far about the current war in Iraq. As a former Marine it strikes a chord with me, I really feel for those young men and what they went through and what they did, I'm not sure how I would have done in such similar situations.

Now I've started to read The Last Days of Krypton by Kevin J. Anderson. Sci Fi about Superman's planet, family etc... I had to feed the nerd side of my brain.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now I've started to read The Last Days of Krypton by Kevin J. Anderson. Sci Fi about Superman's planet, family etc... I had to feed the nerd side of my brain.
You might want to check out "It's Superman!" by Scott De Haven. I got this for xmas last year and was skeptical, but it ended up being a really good novel--written for adults, not kids or teens.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&EAN=9780345493927&itm=1

Synopsis

The world's most popular and enduring super hero and acclaimed novelist Tom De Haven come together to create the extraordinary It's Superman! a novel that reinvents the early years of the Man of Steel. Opening with the young Clark Kent on a date, the novel takes an entirely fresh approach to the emergence of his superpowers and the start of his newspaper career, following him from rural 1930s Kansas across america to Hollywood in its golden age, and then to New York City. He meets a worldly Lois Lane and conniving political boss Lex Luthor, and begins his battles against criminal masterminds, mad scientists, and supervillains inspired by fascists. Sure to appeal to fans of the TV show Smallville and the novel The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay, as well as devoted comic book readers, It's Superman is a fun and fast-paced novel of thrilling invention, heroic escapades, ill-fitting costumes, and super-sized coming-of-age angst.
The New York Times Book Review

"The cartoon world of "It's Superman!" is often as delightful as the original created by Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster. Colors, sounds and emotions are exaggerated to great, infectious effect, so that when Superman is sent hurtling through the air by an explosion, we thrill to the ride. "It's Superman!" may be short on allegorical truths, but the smart money says De Haven's cartoon world will entertain readers for a long time to come."
More Reviews and RecommendationsBiography

Tom De Haven is the author of eight novels, including the Derby Dugan trilogy, hailed a wild ride" by the Boston Globe and "brimming with life and characters" by the New York Times Books Review . A frequent contributor to Entertainment Weekly and the New
I also would recommend "the Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Klay" by Michael Chabon.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
You might want to check out "It's Superman!" by Scott De Haven. I got this for xmas last year and was skeptical, but it ended up being a really good novel--written for adults, not kids or teens.

I read that earlier this year...you are right it was a very good novel. A unique approach to Superman.

Another Super Hero related novel I read recently was "Soon I will Be Invincible" by Austin Grossman. It was good not great, pretty witty at parts.

Last edited:

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Just finishing up "In Cold Blood" by Truman Capote.

Interesting read especially when you consider crimes like that were unheard of back then. Unfortunately now they are more common than they should be.

Next up for me are all the "Dexter" novels, Darkly Dreaming Dexter, Dearly Devoted Dexter and Dexter in the Dark all by Jeff Lindsay.

Heucrazy

Pretty Prince of Parties
Reaction score
I'm reading "The Golden Compass". I got the trilogy box set off of Amazon for 13 bucks brand new.

Now it's time to see what all of the hype is about.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I'm reading "The Golden Compass". I got the trilogy box set off of Amazon for 13 bucks brand new.

I've never read anything in this genre, so maybe I'll pick up this set, too. $13 sounds like a good deal! Thanks for pointing that out.

ozzfloyd

The Carp
Reaction score
The Ambler Warming
by
Robert Ludlum

One the last books written by the master of the spy genre. Really good book so far by the way.

Also, if you are into Sci-fi, check out the SOFAR Trilogy by John R. Gentile. "Blue Planets" "Offworlder" and "Siren's Song"

These books take place in Arizona, the Rocky Point area and outside of the solar system. Great books by an AZ resident with great action and an environmental slant. His books are great, and I'm not just saying so because he's a friend. lol.
icon7.gif

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score

Got my set yesterday. :)

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got my set yesterday. :)
I'm only about 60 pages or so in, but I can't make up my mind: is it boring or not? It's a strange thing to be torn on, I know. But some pages and situations I enjoy, others I just don't.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Just finished The Exorcist. Don't know what to read next.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Book was meh. I liked up until it took the turn it did and no longer became about the beginning plot.

After that I felt drab and like a repeated story.
Wow. You're the only person who I've heard with this response.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I just spent a few minutes on librarything.com...it's okay, I guess. I need to play around with it more.

I wish I could add more than one book at a time. For example, I have all of Jim Thompson's books. So I search on "Jim Thompson," and get everything I need--but I can only click on one at a time. That's really annoying.

There's a new feature on this site where you can request advance reader's copies of books. You can get books for free...you just have to review them.

I just requested my first, so I'm not entirely sure how it works, but you might want to check it out.

http://www.librarything.com/wiki/index.php/Early_Reviewers

Zebes

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
For the Love of Politics: Bill and Hilary the White House years
Come on People: From victims to victors
The Mind of Thomas Jefferson

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Ronald Reagan Diaries... :thumbup:

I am listening to The Reagan Diaries right now.

Also listening to:

If I Did It (the oj confession book)

A Christmas Carol read by Jim Dale

American Creation: Triumphs and Tragedies at the Founding of the Republic

Spook Country (barely started this one)

Around the holidays, I always seem to start up a variety of books for some reason.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05