what are your expectations?

playstation

Selfless Service
Reaction score
early season thoughts? I know I was hoping for 8th seed before the season began. that still sounds pretty realistic, but this start sure has me fired up.

how many games do you think the suns will be blown out in (loss by more than 10 points)? my guess is 5 or less

how many times will we fail to score 80? 90? 100? my thoughts: 2, 10, 28

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
too high at this point - I'm setting myself up for disappointment, but what the hell - all my other favorite teams suck complete ass(The Cards, the D-Backs . . . the Democrats) right now so I'll get it while the getting's good!

All I can say is thus far - even fully acknowledging they are playing the drek of the league - they have exceeded my expectations - I would have been really happy with solid wins - maybe even 2-1 at this point but to be kicking the unholy crap out of teams is pretty nice.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
My initial guess was a record of 53-29, which should put them around a 4th-6th seed. I think that's a little higher than most people's initial expectations, but I really like the way this team is put together.

I'd like to see them make it to at least the 2nd rd of the playoffs, but if they lose in the 1st rd and play well then I'll be happy.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
Im sticking with my midsummer prediction. The record will be irrelevent for the first round. They will beat out the kings and lakers for 1st in the Pacific division, earning the 3rd seed. Loss in the second round most likely.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
too high at this point - I'm setting myself up for disappointment, but what the hell - all my other favorite teams suck complete ass(The Cards, the D-Backs . . . the Democrats) right now so I'll get it while the getting's good!

All I can say is thus far - even fully acknowledging they are playing the drek of the league - they have exceeded my expectations - I would have been really happy with solid wins - maybe even 2-1 at this point but to be kicking the unholy crap out of teams is pretty nice.

Amen, brother! Especially the Dems! I have a "Vote Democrat" sticker on my lunchbox, and I get all kinds of consoling comments right now! :D

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:

The Suns saved my week, last week.

The Cards lost to the Bills, Dems to the Reps, I had homework, BUT the Suns rolled to 3-0!

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not prepared to make any projections untill the Suns play a quality slow down team. Right now the Suns are proving they run and have a huge advantage over weak teams with no bench; but traditionally they struggled against strong defensive teams that slow the game to a crawl. Oddly enough, they may not get a chance to play a team like that until they play Utah at the end of the month.

That being said, I stand by my prediction of 50 wins if the team stays mostly healthy.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure how this team will fare against the better teams in the NBA. I do think they will have a fantastic record against the weaker teams though. I'm standing by my prediction of 45 wins and the seventh or eighth seed in the playoffs.

The best team in the NBA so far has been Utah. I believe they have the same average margin of victory as the Suns, but they have beaten good teams. Golden State, their weakest opponent so far, is probably every bit as good as Philadelphia. I also whipped the LA Lakers and the Denver Nuggets.

Joe Mama

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Boozer has been a big deal for Utah and getting Harpring back was another plus. I'm not sure the Jazz are a surprise because most people predicted big things for them, but living up to expectations is not easy.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
During preseason last year, everyone thought that Utah might end up with the worst record in league history. What a difference a year makes.

As I look around the league, the window of opportunity is wide open right now.

In the west the Lakers, Portland, and Sacramento are all declining. Minny has a "Spree" of problems with their chemistry. The dominant teams in the west are Utah, San Antonio, Dallas, and Phoenix.

In the East, it is still Detroit.

None of those teams scare me right now. I know its early, but this team is deep and the coaching might be the best it has ever been.

That comment about the "stars aligning for the Suns" seems accurate. I'd say, tweak it a little if you have to, but don't mess up the chemistry AND go for it all--NOW.

AZ Shocker

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
This team can be as good as they want to be. They're scary good!!! :D

Clearly too much firepower out there for most teams to handle. When we bring in our subs...we still smoke 'em. Loaded I tell you, and we got the best point guard out there in that he gets EVERYBODY involved. I can't wait for this team to "gel" come after the holidays! Holy Cow!!! :thumbup:

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
I still don't see how people think the Kings and Lakers will be better. Although, if Mihm keeps playing like this I guess the Lakers could be.

Pacific champs, and 3rd seed because of it (but actually like 5-6 based on record)

Errntknght

Reaction score
My expectations were that the Suns would start fast because so many teams would have enough roster changes to set their defense back. Still they're doing better than I expected so far. Nash is the needed steadying influence, JJ has been rock solid, Amare's game has expanded and CJ has started acting like a shooter should plus he's added a midrange shot.

D'Antoni smartened up enough on defense to stay away from the gimmicks he was in love with last year. The interior D still hasn't been good though Hunter may change that. His blocks are not weak side swats from behind - he challenges the shooters and he blocks the ball down onto the court! And, skinny as he looks, he doesn't seem to be getting pushed around. Okay, it's only two games but he seems to have a very good head for the game on both ends of the floor. I keep pinching myself to make sure I'm not dreaming.

I am concerned that getting Bo will cause coach Mikey to change course - he could relegate Hunter to the end of the bench and start up the defensive gimmicks again. With Bo they might work well enough to continue them - to the long term detriment of the team. Especially in the playoffs, where gimmicks rarely stand up. But, if D'A takes minutes away from Voskuhl to give to Bo and continues giving time to Hunter and Lampe, I won't mind too much. Right now I wish that he had no choice but to play the two of them, particularly Hunter - he may 'flash in the pan' but if the glimpses we've gotten of him are true indications, he's exactly what this team needs. (I like Lampe's offensive game better in theory, but to all appearances we'd have to play a high-post offense to take full advantage of it and theres no hint that D'A has a clue about that style of O. Besides Amare is emerging from the low post as I expected he would eventually and Hunter's lurking in the low post fits better with that.)

I'm guessing the Vroman will be the one moved to the IL to make room for Bo even tho Tabuse is the most expendable player on the team. I suppose it could be Hunter - a week ago he'd have probably been the leading candidate. It's another bad break for Vroman if it shakes out that way but real injuries will happen so he'll probably still get a chance to show his stuff this year.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Errntknght said:
D'Antoni smartened up enough on defense to stay away from the gimmicks he was in love with last year. The interior D still hasn't been good though Hunter may change that. His blocks are not weak side swats from behind - he challenges the shooters and he blocks the ball down onto the court! And, skinny as he looks, he doesn't seem to be getting pushed around. Okay, it's only two games but he seems to have a very good head for the game on both ends of the floor. I keep pinching myself to make sure I'm not dreaming.

I am concerned that getting Bo will cause coach Mikey to change course - he could relegate Hunter to the end of the bench and start up the defensive gimmicks again. With Bo they might work well enough to continue them - to the long term detriment of the team. Especially in the playoffs, where gimmicks rarely stand up. But, if D'A takes minutes away from Voskuhl to give to Bo and continues giving time to Hunter and Lampe, I won't mind too much. Right now I wish that he had no choice but to play the two of them, particularly Hunter - he may 'flash in the pan' but if the glimpses we've gotten of him are true indications, he's exactly what this team needs. (I like Lampe's offensive game better in theory, but to all appearances we'd have to play a high-post offense to take full advantage of it and theres no hint that D'A has a clue about that style of O. Besides Amare is emerging from the low post as I expected he would eventually and Hunter's lurking in the low post fits better with that.)

I'm guessing the Vroman will be the one moved to the IL to make room for Bo even tho Tabuse is the most expendable player on the team. I suppose it could be Hunter - a week ago he'd have probably been the leading candidate. It's another bad break for Vroman if it shakes out that way but real injuries will happen so he'll probably still get a chance to show his stuff this year.

I was thinking of starting a thread about Hunter. He did nada in preseason, was OK in garbage time against the Hawks, and then out of the blue gives an all star performance against the Nets: 17 minutes, 4-6 shooting, 5 rebounds, and 4 blocks. He even hit some free throws - which is a new experience for him.

During the Hawks game Hunter dove across the floor in an attempt to save the ball from going out of bounds in the midst of a blow out. It was a nothing play, but suggested that maybe Hunter was getting the message that needs to play all out if he wants to play. On the Magic there wasn't much of a team work ethic so he didn't have good examples. MAYBE he is beginning to see the light.

BTW, with Curry and Antonio Davis coming back, I expect Hunter will get some playing time. Curry's main contribution is low post scoring.

cepstrum

Shqiptar i Qart
Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
I was thinking of starting a thread about Hunter. He did nada in preseason, was OK in garbage time against the Hawks, and then out of the blue gives an all star performance against the Nets: 17 minutes, 4-6 shooting, 5 rebounds, and 4 blocks. He even hit some free throws - which is a new experience for him.

During the Hawks game Hunter dove across the floor in an attempt to save the ball from going out of bounds in the midst of a blow out. It was a nothing play, but suggested that maybe Hunter was getting the message that needs to play all out if he wants to play. On the Magic there wasn't much of a team work ethic so he didn't have good examples. MAYBE he is beginning to see the light.

BTW, with Curry and Antonio Davis coming back, I expect Hunter will get some playing time. Curry's main contribution is low post scoring.

I was talking to a few orlando fans before the season began and they were able to call Hunter's actions pretty well. Here is how the described it:

"For 10-15 games he's gonna dissapear. He won't contribute much at all. Then one game, he will be amazing. After that game everyone will start talking about him again, until he dissapears again. It is like clockword."

I hope Im wrong, but these guys have watched him for a couple of years now. Hopefully he got the message.

scotsman13

Reaction score
well i will say this about the suns and where they are going. right now they are the teams they are playing to 3rd lowest points per game and they are holding them to the 2nd lowest in field goal %. they are beating other teams by 24 points per game. count it however you will but this team is playing very good defense and playing team ball. if they can keep this up there really is no limited to where they can go if they stay focused.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
cepstrum said:
I was talking to a few orlando fans before the season began and they were able to call Hunter's actions pretty well. Here is how the described it:

"For 10-15 games he's gonna dissapear. He won't contribute much at all. Then one game, he will be amazing. After that game everyone will start talking about him again, until he dissapears again. It is like clockword."

I hope Im wrong, but these guys have watched him for a couple of years now. Hopefully he got the message.

Realistically, last year was his only year. He was out most of his second year to injury and saw minimual action as a rookie. So far he has been a classic underachiever who shows just enough talent to make you wonder, but has not proven he can do it consistently. On the other hand, if Loren Woods can become a starting center, anything is possible. :thumbup:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
old expectations - entertaining
new expectations - undefeated
medication - priceless

honestly, i said around 48 wins. maybe i have to modify it to just 50 - 52. i still think the rest of the west elite will wake up. but after watching 'em in the sactown massacre in the preseason and the nets game, i am a big believer. the difference is easily the following:

nash - simply put.

lampe - if he continues to make a positive addition of some sort, doesn't have to be the jumper (but would be great if it was that consistent), could even be some rebounding or post defense, he's a HUGE change!

depth - the fact that d'antoni is subbing in and out like a mad scientist is awesome. everyone comes into the game ready to run. it's like waves. means the second quarter is almost always gonna be ours. this could change significantly come playoffs when the benches get constricted.

growth - jj, amare, and casey have seemingly become more consistent. if this is no mirage (and i realize that neither jj nor amare will continue to shoot 60%, but something in the high 40s for jj and 50s for amare is reasonable) this, by itself will carry this squad far past their record of last year.

let's put it this way, i'm waaaaaaaay more amped for this team than i even expected. and adding bo outlaw to the mix? awesome.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05