What I think happens

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After the Green Bay game the Cards fire Green and bring in an interim. And it actually wouldn't shock me if that interim is someone we know like Kuhlmann. Before you laugh, he was on our staff as recently as 2000, he's still very much connected to the team, knows everyone, and isn't going to have delusions of getting the job permanently. I would hope that's not the guy but I won't be shocked.

The Cards will presumably at that point look for a consultant to help them evaluate the current team, staff etc and make recommendations.

My guess is the Cards will talk to Bill Walsh since he's so highly respected and doesn't currently work for an NFL franchise. Walsh will go over the team with a fine tooth comb, make a bunch of recommendations and we'll end up hiring.... Dennis Green. :D

Then we'll all know we're in some sort of Twilight Zone reality.

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I thought you were going to say they will be brining in Rod Newhouse as the GM, maybe even Everett Linsday as the O.C.

SMAC

Nobody Beats the Wiz!
Reaction score
The Cardinals could conceivably hire Dick Vermeil or Bill Walsh as a mid-season consultant who in turn will help hire the next GM and Head Coach this winter. I don't think Michael Bidwill will do all of that work by himself. It would be smart to surround himself with some Super Bowl winning ex-coaches and/or administrators.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
The Cardinals could conceivably hire Dick Vermeil or Bill Walsh as a mid-season consultant who in turn will help hire the next GM and Head Coach this winter. I don't think Michael Bidwill will do all of that work by himself. It would be smart to surround himself with some Super Bowl winning ex-coaches and/or administrators.

Precisely why he won't.

jk, sort of, no jk really, maybe?

I'm spent, the Rams Bears double gut punch has me loopy.

BTW sweet avatar....

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

IN all seriousness there is no way we fire Green and then Walsh agrees to be a consultant, Walsh LOVES Green, he's been recommending him for NFL jobs since he left the Vikings. If we fired Green, Walsh wouldn't even take the call.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
IN all seriousness there is no way we fire Green and then Walsh agrees to be a consultant, Walsh LOVES Green, he's been recommending him for NFL jobs since he left the Vikings. If we fired Green, Walsh wouldn't even take the call.

Dick Vermeil it is then.

This bunch supposedly talks to Carl Peterson all the time too, Rod Graves has a connection to him but if we fire Rod there goes that.

Dick and Carl are tight, so there goes dick.

We aint even got Dick.

Business as usual.

Goodyear Card

Link Guy
Reaction score
Green will coach next year. Now that everything is lost we will win a few games. Maybe we win the last two or three games so we can think next year will finally be our year.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
I posted this idea in a different thread but the possible Dick Vermeil connection makes it all the more feasable: Al Saunders. Wasn't that good when he was the HC of San Diego but he knows how to put points on the scoreboard. Washington's struggling right now but they also play in the toughest division in football. I haven't had a chance to watch them but I don't know that they have the personnel to run the offense that Saunders wants. I know for a fact the o-line would improve with him in charge. That, at the very least, would be an improvement over the last 3 years.

BirdKC

I love lamp.
Reaction score
An Al Saunders offense would be unstoppable with the cardinals weapons. (A few o-line guys wouldn't hurt, though)

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
great first of all the losing season and now fans are reverting to vermil and walsh hiring. fanasty land all over again. green will finish out the year. then at the end of the season the cardinals will be looking for a new coaching staff. plain and simply. unlike all the other times trying to find someone to take over the hc job, the coaches will be knocking down the door to try to get the cardinals gig. with boldin,fitzgerald, james, leinart, dockett, berry, dansby, wilson, rolle, and a brand new stadium coaches are going to want this job. vermil and walsh are done with football. maybe they will do the occasional interview or nfl films apperance, but that is it. i also believe schottenhemier is getting to the end of his career. so i belive the chargers is his last stop. so their going to have to be some new blood in the head coaching ranks. mike singletary, cam cameron, and donnie henderson to name a few.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
After the Green Bay game the Cards fire Green and bring in an interim. And it actually wouldn't shock me if that interim is someone we know like Kuhlmann

I hope not. The last time Kuhlmann was interim coach the Cards lost all 5 games and were outscored 127-51 with the team mailing in the last two games getting pounded 37-0 and 31-14.

Derm

slippery when wet
Reaction score
This is what you get with messing around with the HC during the season:

NY Jets
1994–1996: Carroll and Kotite era
Optimism was high for the 1994 season when the Jets started the season 6–5 and played Miami on November 27. The Jets won a number of dramatic games, including a thrilling home overtime win against the Denver Broncos. However, the season was defined by the game against the Dolphins, and specifically a play from Dolphins quarterback Dan Marino. After the Jets had dominated the Dolphins for much of the afternoon, Marino fooled Jet defender Aaron Glenn into thinking that he would spike the ball to stop the clock, then threw the winning touchdown to Mark Ingram with less than a minute left for an improbable victory. The play came to be known as "The Fake Spike," and ultimately would prove an unrecoverable blow to the Jets' momentum. The Jets would lose their last four games, finishing the season 6–10, last place in the AFC East. Carroll was fired after only one season and replaced by former Philadelphia Eagles coach Rich Kotite.

Unfortunately, Kotite (a former Jets assistant) proved to be an even worse hire than Carroll. During Kotite's two-year term in New York, the Jets won only four games: a 3–13 record in 1995, and 1–15 in 1996, in both cases the worst in the NFL. Having lost his last seven games as the Eagles' coach, Kotite finished his NFL head coaching career with a 4–35 record in his final 39 games—one of the worst prolonged stretches for an NFL head coach in history.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is what you get with messing around with the HC during the season:

I don't get the relevance, Carroll coached out the year and then was fired. So you're saying if we let Green do that, we'll hire the equivalent of Kotite?

You seem to be saying no interim coach, but your example has nothing to do with an interim?

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did the Jets blame the fake spike play on Carroll? Sheesh. They got what they deserved.

Disgusting that Kotite beat the Cards in one of those 4 wins.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did the Jets blame the fake spike play on Carroll? Sheesh. They got what they deserved.

Disgusting that Kotite beat the Cards in one of those 4 wins.

Not really, losing to the worst team in football goes back a long ways, not just the 3 year streak that we are on now.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05