What I would do against Dallas

red desert

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Answer42, thanks for the insights and welcome to the board.

Completely off topic but do you have any feel for where Dallas is going with Drew Henson? Everything I read says they tried to rebuild his throwing motion this offseason thinking baseball had caused him to drop his arm angle. He looked awful in the preseason, seemed to be thinking before he threw, really inconsistent. He had one of those magic arms at Michigan for years I waited for him to quit baseball.

Seems to me that Parcells is just about the worst guy for him to end up with because he's so impatient with young players?

Answer 42 -

Your thoughts on the loss of Flozell and how it will affect the game? Is he out?

TheAnswer42

Bleeding Blue and Silver
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Answer42, thanks for the insights and welcome to the board.

Completely off topic but do you have any feel for where Dallas is going with Drew Henson? Everything I read says they tried to rebuild his throwing motion this offseason thinking baseball had caused him to drop his arm angle. He looked awful in the preseason, seemed to be thinking before he threw, really inconsistent. He had one of those magic arms at Michigan for years I waited for him to quit baseball.

Seems to me that Parcells is just about the worst guy for him to end up with because he's so impatient with young players?

Thanks!

Drew is an enigma. Parcells prases him, but everything we see, he sucks. With being out of baseball for so long, I can see where he needs some time to get used to playing football again. Most QBs need about 3 years to get in the groove. With his down-time, most people say to give Henson 4. This is his second.

Even if he lives up to his potental, I don't see how he can be a "long term" answer for us at QB. He's already missed 3 playing years by being in baseball. Add to that the 4 years to get him in shape, and that's 7 years of playtime down the tubes. That means that he's got 5-7 years of "good" years left in him.

...and that's assuming that he stays good while getting older.

TheAnswer42

Bleeding Blue and Silver
Reaction score
red desert said:
Answer 42 -

Your thoughts on the loss of Flozell and how it will affect the game? Is he out?

He's out for the season, torn ACL.

Some people are freaking out. I'm not. He really had only one good year. Last year he got in the pro-bowl, but shouldn't have. He's way too slow to take on most speed rushers. He likes to power people not finess them. He also makes a LOT of mental mistakes. Most of our offsides penalties were because of him last year.

I'm not that big on Torrin Tucker to replace him, but TT did OK last week. Most of the problems came from the right side. That happens when you have a 6th round pick playing his rookie year.

TheAnswer42

Bleeding Blue and Silver
Reaction score
Ouchie-Z-Clown said:
eh, we suck so this game shouldn't be that difficult for you. that's my analysis for this week. hell, that's probably my anaylsis for the rest of the season. sigh . . .

I was really hoping your team was going to live up to the hype this year. A lot of people were saying that this was going to be your year. You had a lot of upgrades.

Now, if you can only fix your OL....

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
TheAnswer42 said:
I was really hoping your team was going to live up to the hype this year. A lot of people were saying that this was going to be your year. You had a lot of upgrades.

Now, if you can only fix your OL....

TheAnswer, I'm headin to the game. My brother and my boy are massive Boys fans. I've never had a prob wit you guys unlike say, the entire metro population of Philadelphia. I look forward to a good game. Have to say I feel we'll get mopped though. :shrug:

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
TheAnswer42 said:
Hey, guys. I'm a Cowboys fan who likes to talk football. I just came over here to see what you guys were saying about this weeks matchup.

You are right in that we play Roy in the box a lot. He's not that good in coverage, but he's one heck of a tackler. Our 2 primary CB (Newman and Henry) are really good, but our 3rd (A. Glenn) tends to make mistakes.

Also, for some reason, we keep staying in the 3-4 when our openents go to 3 WR sets, leaving our DBs to drop into coverage. This also happens when teams use their TE against us. Our DBs aren't that good at defending the pass.

I think that if the Cowboys play the Cards like they played the Smeagles, we can stop your two great WRs. However, if we try to stop the run (don't see why we should) y'all will be able to score on us all day long.

However, that won't mean much if our O doesn't get it's act together and put some points on the board. Hard to win games when you only score 10 points.

Welcome and thanks for you insight on the Cowboys!

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Two problems as I see them:

1) RT Fred Wakefield has a bad ankle that killed his effectiveness last week and made him miss practice Wednesday. So just as RG Elton Brown is beginning to play better, Jeremy Bridges is now the RT and that will make the right side of the line a sieve against a blitz.

2) I'm not worried about McCown throwing a bunch of picks. He doesn't usually do that. I AM worried about his fumbling when he gets sacked. He doesn't tuck the ball away soon enough.

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
jkf296 said:
I think Arrington can be a huge weapon in this game.

Shipp has done an admirable job catching passes in the middle of the field to help Josh as a safety receiver which helps slow down the rush.

Can you imagine Arrington in that role, in the middle of the field with several steps before he is engaged? I hope that he is used this way.

I think Roy Williams will feast on him if they try that too many times. Arrington will have buckle up!

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LVCARDFREAK said:
I think Roy Williams will feast on him if they try that too many times. Arrington will have buckle up!

Yes and no, if Roy is coming up to tackle him yes he may light him up like he did in the preseason. If Roy is covering him that may be another thing though. That's one area JJ needs work though unlike Westbrook he can't run pass routes really well and he's not going to turn it downfield and catch a fly pattern 40 yards away, he's just never been used in that capacity as a receiver.

If you get him the ball in space, in stride, he can do a lot with it, but you don't want him catching the ball and being led into Roy Williams, that's asking for a fumble no matter who it is the way Roy hits.

player

Reaction score
The key to beating Dallas is simple.

Keep the game as close as possible at least within a touchdown. Dallas has two rookie tackels starting on the o-line. They have jones and crayton out. Price hasn't really been a factor since Parcells hasn't really seen much of him to feel comfortable with him.

Exploit the weakness as much as possible and keep Drew rattled all day. Double cover Glenn to take away the deap threat. Witten won't be much a factor because he will doing more blockling on the line to help the rookies out. Keyshawn will probably have a big day catch wise but will only have one touchdown to show for it.

Barber will probably get the call for three quarters and have pretty descent numbers. Tyson thompson will come in the 4th quarter. Stack the box to slow him down. He has speed but no vision.

They released Cortez and brought in another kicker. So they are having problems in that area. Dallas will try and contol the clock as much as possible and try to score around 13 points and let there defense win the game for them.

As long as you can at least stay within a touchdown or a fieldgoal for about 55 minutes then you have a chance to win. There two minute defense, prevent defense has proven to be very vulnerable. You should be able to march down the field no problem for a last minute TD or FG to win.

If dallas scores more than 20 points you will have no chance. There defense is to good to overcome that much. They have only given up like 4 touchdowns in the last 14 or 15 quarters. With most of them touchdowns coming in the last 2 minutes.

Good luck.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05