What Q Has to Do

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
coloradosun said:
He was not a faceup player with a jumpshot, that is why he did not get much PT. You are right he is a high energy guy but not with the right skills for the offense.

So what he's better than a foul a minute Voskul. He will get you boards and blocks, the Suns have enough scorers. He's a bench guy and very good one.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
JPlay said:
So what he's better than a foul a minute Voskul. He will get you boards and blocks, the Suns have enough scorers. He's a bench guy and very good one.

I've always liked Bo Outlaw, but he's no better on the boards than Jake Voskuhl. In fact if I was concerned about rebounds I would rather have little Jake in the game. Outlaw is a good hustle player and a decent passer.

I have no problem whatsoever with the way they used Bo Outlaw.

Joe Mama

OP
OP
George O'Brien

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bo's value was in the scramble trap. He is relentless and can be very disruptive to teams which don't pass the ball very well. Unfortuntatelym most good teams pass the ball and then the trap doesn't work.

I think the Suns are committed to the D'Antoni system of having five serious offensive threats on the court at the same time. Few teams can make that work, but with Nash, there is a good chance that everyone will get the ball if open and get it back if they pass it. That is a huge advantage when attacking teams that can focus on stopping any one weapon.

My bet is the Suns will try to have 12 scorers on the squad. Hopefully some of them will also play defense. :rolleyes:

Errntknght

Reaction score
If the Suns are going to post Q, or JJ, they need to make it a quick hitting play, which means it's needs to be coordinated so that the passer gets in position at the same time Q sets up in the low post. Ideally, Q would seal his defender to one side or the other as he set up and the pass would come to the correct side so he could go right into his move.

Obviously, it's not going to be a quick hitting play if the Suns go into a semi-isolation like they do now and Q maneuvers his way down into the post. The problem is that Q is normally so static on the perimeter that any move into the post area stands out. If he cut through the middle fairly frequently he could start a cut then just curl it to post up, which wouldn't be so apparent. And cutting is a good move itself when you've got a favorable matchup.

To me, it's clear the Suns have add more variety to their half court game and increasing the amount of cutting thru the middle and along the baseline is one good approach to doing that. Making Q or JJ more effective posting up is sort of a side benefit.

The team also needs to add at least one other 'set' - the pick and roll doesn't mesh too well with cutting though a fake P&R can accomodate some. Some version of a high post is probably the best addition.

cly2tw

Reaction score
SirChaz said:
Suns in general seem to have a problem passing into the post (except maybe for Nash).

We had a hard time getting the ball to Amare guarded by Finley.

Too little practice I guess. :shrug:

That's so damn right. It was so frustrating to see! Limit Nash's ball handling to about 50%, let's PRACTISE some alternatives in case good teams like the Spurs and Pistons contain Nash-led offense successfully.