What the 49ers fans saying about the game...

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
http://forums.49ers.com/messageboard/showthread.php?t=6164

This one seems little bit reasonable. The rest is, well, mostly homerism...

Keys to winning:

1. Smith can't throw picks.

2. We need to run and stop their run. They will beat us in the passing game so we have to win the running game handily to make up for it.

3. We also have to win on special teams - especially punt and kickoff coverage. They are going to move the ball - we need to make sure they need to go 80 yards to make their touchdowns.

4. Hit Warner early. Even if we don't get any sacks, we need to get a few good hits on him early on - if he is comfortable back there, I think they will put up a lot of points on us.

Most of these points are pretty iffy. My expectations on these points:

#1: Smith didn't look that good in the preseason except for the Bears game - I'm expecting a decent number of interceptions at least in the first half of the year (hopefully with an equal number of touchdowns though).

#2: I definitely expect us to run on Arizona effectively - I expect us to run on most teams effectively. Stopping the run I am less sure about. Losing Peterson and Carter hurts the front seven - our run defense sucked in preseason for the most part. Fortunately Arizona's line is shaky at best so I give us a 50/50 shot at shutting down the running game.

#3: Our coverage units are good. So is our kicker and punter. I expect Arizona to have to drive a long way for touchdowns unless we turn the ball over.

#4: I don't know who can hit Warner early. Bryant Young is the only proven pass rusher we have and he is getting old. I have high hopes for Manny Lawson, but I don't expect 10+ sacks this year from him. He improved each preseason game and I expect him to be a very good player for us but all in all, our pass rush is very weak. I think Warner will have time and the cards will put up around 30 points on us.

The Cardinals are also going to be extra jacked up since this is their first game in the new stadium. I will be there - hopefully things will go differently than I expect and I can taunt Cardinals fans (especially my Dad, Brother and two Cousins - all Cardinals fans) for losing their first game in the new stadium against the team that is supposed to be the worst in the league. This would make me very happy, but I am guessing I will be at the receiving end of those taunts.

Predicted score: cards 34, niners 21

That said I think we will improve over the course of the year just like we did last year (expecially on offense) and we will have a good shot at revenge when they visit us late in the year.

I also think Gore will go over 100 yards this first game.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If we give up 21 points to the niners, something is wrong

OP
OP
A

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
The homerism is overflowing there... some believe 9ers are going to go 9-7, 8-8, hell one even said 11-5 :lol:

Last edited:

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
Fortunately Arizona's line is shaky at best so I give us a 50/50 shot at shutting down the running game.

If he is talking about the Dline, he clearly hasn't been paying attention.

I can't wait to see our DT rotation. I like the look of Clancy, Moore and Watson this year at the NT spot.

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I hope AZ can handle the Niners easily.

That said, the author of the thread had a fairly objective look at the team.

I'd be worried if Smith is allowed to throw 1 TD against the Cardinals. I hope pressure and Clancy's mad scientist scheming keeps the young man off balance. Let him have all the TD's he wants in week 2.

He's also got a point about the Cardinals allowing a lot of rush yards. Last year the team had some major trouble stopping teams at critical junctions and a lot of it was built on the success of the opponent's running game.

If Clancy, Watson, and Moore (and Dockett, let's see a Juinor year terror!) can keep the middle plugged we know what Okeafor and Berry and capable of.

OP
OP
A

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
vince56 said:
Dude, he predicted a loss for his team, hardly homerism.
There is another thread on the message board for 49ers 2006 record. Go thru that thread and you will see what I mean. 11-5 9ers??? You kidding me? We have far superior talent and I don't recall anyone on this board (yet) predicting an 11 win season.

See the thread http://forums.49ers.com/messageboard/showthread.php?t=6241

Last edited:

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
az1965 said:
The homerism is overflowing there... some believe 9ers are going to go 9-7, 8-8, hell one even said 11-5 :lol:

I like there team. Nolan will have them playing hard. Show up cocky, and lose the opener, we will.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
NEZCardsfan said:
I like there team. Nolan will have them playing hard. Show up cocky, and lose the opener, we will.

I think their team is rubbish.

First off, they have few weapons on offense. V.Davis, Johnson, Antonio Bryant, and Gore? Horrible. And Alex Smith has small hands.

And their defense? They run a 3-4 and their linebacker corp consists of unproven rookies and Ronald Mckinnon clones at the Inside spots. No playmakers, which are crucial to the 3-4. And their secondary is 2002 Cardinals bad (remember Duane Starks, Renaldo Hill, David Barrett? The 9ers might be worse).

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It means he saves money by purchasing his gloves in the childern's section of Wal-Mart.

Ooooh Dora the Explorer.
AND ON SALE!!!

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Krangthebrain said:
And their defense? They run a 3-4 and their linebacker corp consists of unproven rookies and Ronald Mckinnon clones at the Inside spots. No playmakers, which are crucial to the 3-4. And their secondary is 2002 Cardinals bad (remember Duane Starks, Renaldo Hill, David Barrett? The 9ers might be worse).
I think Nolan wants to run the 3-4 like last season, but he just doesn't have the personnel. I'm pretty sure that S.F. will be in the 4-3 this Sunday.

We should be virtually unstoppable against that defense.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Renz said:
I think Nolan wants to run the 3-4 like last season, but he just doesn't have the personnel. I'm pretty sure that S.F. will be in the 4-3 this Sunday.

We should be virtually unstoppable against that defense.

They've been shifting back and forth mainly due to injury but also I suspect to make it harder to prepare for them.

But I figure they'll probably play both during the game quite a bit. Manny Lawson is a promising OLB but he played standup DE in college and is still very much adjusting to LB I'd expect us to be able to take advantage of him some. During the preseason he had issues over running plays or failing in coverage. he can rush the passer when they ask him to, that's his best asset.

They have a lot of LB injuries. The big question mark is secondary, their most consistent CB, Shawntae Spencer, has been hurt for a couple of weeks and is only now getting back to practice.Nolan said right now Spencer is listed as doubtful for Sunday although people expect he WILL play. Walt Harris hasn't been good for awhile, Tony Parrish is coming off a serious injury and had a lousy preseason but they announced he'll start.

Basically the 2 weaknesses of their defense appear to be lack of pass rush, and DB's, and that's not a very good matchup going up against our offense.

But who knows, anything is possible but I'd be pretty surprised if they can contain our passing attack right now.

ishbin

Rookie
Reaction score
i think we will smoke the 9ers. however i'm suprised so many people diss gore. the guy is going to change a lot of people view of him even if he is playing on a bad team. odds are he will run for around 100 yards against us as he is their only real weapon.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
ishbin said:
i think we will smoke the 9ers. however i'm suprised so many people diss gore. the guy is going to change a lot of people view of him even if he is playing on a bad team. odds are he will run for around 100 yards against us as he is their only real weapon.

I really like Gore. Plus the 49er OL is healthy again and looks to be the strength of this team. I think Gore should put up 100 yards against us. I also like Bryant who might have a few big plays if our corners play like they did against Denver.

We had better not screw around with these guys and put them away early.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ishbin said:

The problem with Gore is he's just wound so tight he always gets hurt. I love the kid I thought pre injury he was the best RB in the country, but he's had so many injuries now it's just pretty hard to imagine him lasting a 16 game schedule as the #1 RB. EVen last year in limited action he wound up having surgery on both shoulders after the season was over.

Kid is tough as nails and extremely talented but unfortunately just one of those kids that has never been able to stay healthy.

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
The problem with Gore is he's just wound so tight he always gets hurt. I love the kid I thought pre injury he was the best RB in the country, but he's had so many injuries now it's just pretty hard to imagine him lasting a 16 game schedule as the #1 RB. EVen last year in limited action he wound up having surgery on both shoulders after the season was over.

Kid is tough as nails and extremely talented but unfortunately just one of those kids that has never been able to stay healthy.

In the Cardinals case, Gore only has to be healthy for 2 games.

I say the team's best bet is to get into his head early by stuffing him at the point of attack.

The hits don't have to be on sportscenter, just hit him above the 'button and bellow the number and get his damn feet off the ground!