What to do with Gonzo?

ts888

Reaction score
are the D-Backs gonna stick with Gonzo if he doesn't start hitting? He is also a liability in the field with no arm. It's not unusual at his age for the decline to come fast when it does come. Let's say another month goes by and he hasn't shown signs of turning it around, I wonder if they give Quentin a shot. He has so much AAA experience that he has a decent chance to suceed right away.

Gonzo would be an excellent 4th OF'er and clutch pinch hitter. I know he gets paid too much for that role and he's a veteran but if he doesn't turn it around they have to at least consider making a change. I'm not all at saying he's finished and the move should be made now. Just wondering about the possibility if things haven't changed in another month or so.

thoughts?

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
Gonzo won't accept anything less then a starting role here...and clutch pinch hitter? When has he been clutch?

Gonzo is just that after this year.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I still think that Gonzo would be great in a DH role

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
The only thing stopping Gonzo from becoming an ideal DH is Arizona's reluctance to trade him (rightfully so perhaps).

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really think this is Gonzo's last year here. Its the last year of his contract, and the team isnt going to pay that $11M option or whatever it is when they have plenty of cheap talent that could replace him. Somebody else will be in the outfield next year, probably by one of Quentin/Young/Hairston in some form. Gonzo being dealt near the deadline I suppose is a possibility, but the Dbacks should still be in the playoff race at that time so I doubt he will be moved. In the meantime, I dont think demoting to 4th outfielder is going to solve anything. His numbers on the year are still better than what any of our other options are going to give you (although he has obviously not been Gonzo-like this season), but moving him to 5th or 6th in the order could be worth exploring.

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
Sun Devil Jay said:
The only thing stopping Gonzo from becoming an ideal DH is Arizona's reluctance to trade him (rightfully so perhaps).

I'm pretty sure the Dbacks would be more then happy to trade Gonzo right now if someone made a solid offer and was willing to pay the rest of the contract.

Problem is, I don't see that offer coming along, nor do I see Gonzo accepting a DH role. Have you heard him in interviews? Sounds like he thinks he can play in LF and bat in important spots of the lineup.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
green machine said:
When has he been clutch?

Well, he does have one of the BIGGEST clutch hits in the history of baseball.

Ruff N Tuff

Reaction score
Gonzo is going to start this whole year but after this year he's out of a D-Backs uniform.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would like to see Scott Hairston get another shot. He has been having a big year for the Sidewinders.

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
Zona90 said:
I would like to see Scott Hairston get another shot. He has been having a big year for the Sidewinders.

I think his problem is that he's out of options, so that if they do bring him up, there's no sending him back.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
green machine said:
I think his problem is that he's out of options, so that if they do bring him up, there's no sending him back.
If he was out of options this year, they wouldnt have been able to send him down at the end of spring training last April without going through waivers. :shrug:

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
coyoteshockeyfan said:
If he was out of options this year, they wouldnt have been able to send him down at the end of spring training last April without going through waivers. :shrug:

Is he on the 40 man roster? If not, would that make a difference?

If he's not out of options then the team is just being dumb by keeping him in Tucson. He's got nothing left to prove there.

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
green machine said:

If he's not out of options then the team is just being dumb by keeping him in Tucson. He's got nothing left to prove there.
He has to prove himself defensively which is why he'll forever be a AAAA player unfortunately....

He couldnt establish himself as a ML 2B and now making a transition into an OF and how still has to make some adjustments....

Plus... Hairston must finally learn now to swing at the first pitch and go with the first pitch swing mentality...... He is somewhat too old to be considered a prospect and I just dont envision him ever living up to his high potential.. which is very unfortunate since he did have a lot at one time...

In terms of Hairston's Dbacks future.. there isnt any... I see him being included in some sort of packaged trade to an AL team that is in dire need of a pull-hitter... Also, Quentin or Young would be promoted up ahead of Hairston anyways..

Regarding Gonzo... his fate is contingent whether or not the Dbacks are in contention during the trading deadline... If they are....then they would definitely need his experience in those situations.. otherwise.. he might attract a couple mid-tier pitching prospects from an AL team that could certainly benefit from him in the DH role...

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
green machine said:

He is on the 40 man roster, but that doesnt prove that he has options remaining. However, I am pretty certain he still does have an option year left for the reason given earlier.

Espo

Lets Go Suns
Reaction score
Hairston is in his third and final option year. So he can be called up and sent back down without being removed from the 40 man. He has started to prove himself in the outfield defensively over the past two years down here in Tucson. If Gonzo goes Hairston should get the shot instead of rushing Young up to the bigs to play out of position. Same with Quentin. He is a RF and has played there or CF for almost all of his time with Tucson.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
What amazes me is the respect Gonzo gets from opposing managers.
The guy is not playing well at all but he gets treated like he's in 2001 form. How many times has he been walked or pitched around in key situations. Too bad Jackson isn't making them pay more often.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05