What was last year's problem?

gusmahler

Registered
Reaction score
A co-worker came up to me (knowing I'm a Cardinal fan) and said (in essence), "The Cards finished in the top 10 in offense and defense last year. How did they win only 5 times?"

I explained the poor special teams play and lack of red zone TDs, but he wasn't satisfied. Anyone have a good concise explanation?

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Absolutely non-existent running game
Special teams play
Injuries on D

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
gusmahler said:
A co-worker came up to me (knowing I'm a Cardinal fan) and said (in essence), "The Cards finished in the top 10 in offense and defense last year. How did they win only 5 times?"

I explained the poor special teams play and lack of red zone TDs, but he wasn't satisfied. Anyone have a good concise explanation?

Everett Lindsay
Kevin O'dea
Injuries

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Red Zone offense

Giving up easy scores to start halves

Burg72

Registered
Reaction score
The offense couldn't get the ball in the endzone because of their inability to run the ball. In the redzone, the defenses just forced us to pass by stacking up the line of scrimage and they aren't many passing lanes when the defensive backfield is compressed. Why do you think Rackers had such a great year. Hopefully this year will be different with a runner like James and a "REAL" o-line coach.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Some may say it was the OL. It is actually #2 on my list, which may be a shocker to most.

#1 - Special Teams - We accounted for 25% of the leagues Kickoff TD's, and were easily the worst field position teams in the league. You just cant do that to the D and expect them to not allow the other team to score unless your D is the best ever. And giving up a special teams TD is just a huge blow to a teams mental part of the game and a big boost to the scoring team. Just big time game changers.

And then you have your usual suspects such as OL, Red Zone O, Penalties, and Inability to change plan during a game(coaches in game ability).

It really wasnt just one thing but more of a combo of things.

OP
OP
gusmahler

gusmahler

Registered
Reaction score
I said O-line to the guy and pointed out the injuries to the O-line. He said if the O-line was so bad, how did you guys have the best passing offense in the NFL?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
gusmahler said:
I said O-line to the guy and pointed out the injuries to the O-line. He said if the O-line was so bad, how did you guys have the best passing offense in the NFL?

Because we didn't, unless you only look at yards. Bad teams throw for a lot of yards because they're behind a lot. Compound it with we couldn't run to save our lives, and we had a ton of passing yards.

I believe we CAN have the best passing offense in the NFL this year but to that we'll have to greatly increase the number of TD passes. Just being good between the 20's isn't enough.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
I agree - but also disagree with you Russ.

Alot of the 'experts' in the media like to say that we racked up nothing but garbage yds because 'the Cardinals are always behind'. But that is simply not true.

Q and Fitz had over 100 yds recieving at the half against Carolina. In that game we lead at halftime. In the game against NYG - Fitz had over 150 yds recieving in a close game that was blown out by a couple of TD returns. So it's not like we were blown out every game 21 - 0 and then racked up garbage yds at the end of the game.

This team had absolutley no running game and that was reason for the high amount of yds. But, also look at the amount of TD passes (21) we had. When was the last time we had over 20 TD passes? Look at the completion percentage, which was top 10 even though every team dropped everyone into coverage and we threw the ball 40 times a game.

If this team gets balance from the running game, our passing attack will be unstopable. Imagine what Q and Fitz's YAC and YPC will be without having to deal with all of the defense dropping back in coverage to stop them. It's a scary thought for opposing teams who couldn't even stop them in a one dimensional offense.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Here are some interesting stats that might help explain last season in addition to the injuries and poor ST:

The Cards opponents had the 3rd fewest 3rd down attempts in the NFL while the Cards offense was #2 in 3rd down attempts.

The Cards led the NFL in penalty yards!

The Cards were dead last in every rushing offense catagory.

The Cards were 27th in scoring defense and 30th in rushing TD's allowed.

The Cards were 30th in turnover margin at -11.

Other surprising stats from 2005:

The Cards led the NFL in number of plays, were #7 in TOP and #8 in completion %.

Last edited:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Redsz said:
I
This team had absolutley no running game and that was reason for the high amount of yds. But, also look at the amount of TD passes (21) we had. When was the last time we had over 20 TD passes? Look at the completion percentage, which was top 10 even though every team dropped everyone into coverage and we threw the ball 40 times a game.

If this team gets balance from the running game, our passing attack will be unstopable. Imagine what Q and Fitz's YAC and YPC will be without having to deal with all of the defense dropping back in coverage to stop them. It's a scary thought for opposing teams who couldn't even stop them in a one dimensional offense.

True, I overtstated my point. But, we were first in the NFL in passing yards, and 12th in passing TD's. Our inability to convert in the redzone cost us numerous games. Obvious as you said the main problem was no running game at all.

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
Offensive rank is calculated by total yards not scoring. We could move the ball, but weren't able to get it into the endzone, due to an awful running game. We had the worst YPG rushing wise, but we also ran the ball the least amount of times for any team. You have to stick with the run game to have a balanced attack, even if you're getting stuffed.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We ranked dead-last (or close to it) in a number of running offense categories (like running TD's and running 1st Downs).

It's kind of hard to move chains and score many TD's when you can't run.

We were also at (or close to) dead last in yards penalized.

Being one-dimensional (i.e. pass-only) and having your drives undermined by penalties tends to cut down on TD's-scored.

If I was forced to point fingers, it would be at the five guys up front on offense (actually more like 16 or so, when you consider all the injuries that decimated our O-line).

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
JPlay said:
Offensive rank is calculated by total yards not scoring. We could move the ball, but weren't able to get it into the endzone, due to an awful running game. We had the worst YPG rushing wise, but we also ran the ball the least amount of times for any team. You have to stick with the run game to have a balanced attack, even if you're getting stuffed.

If offensive rank is calculated on yards, that’s just dumb. You don’t win the game 450 yards to 425 yards. If your offense doesn’t score, it failed on the drive.:shrug:

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Red Zone Offense

Special Teams except for Place Kicking

Run defense

Run offense

Injuries

BigRedFan

Registered
Reaction score
It was definitely a weird year for stats. Being last or close to it in so many catgories like penalties, special teams, run offense suggests coaching problems, especially when the team seemed fairly decent on paper. Just think how ugly it would have been without Warner and 2 top flight receivers.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
The only stat that really matters is W's and L's. Apparently what we were doing didn’t work too well.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
last years problem was bert berry was on the cover of madden

oh wait that was just mine

ReddBird

Registered
Reaction score
Injuries. No running game. Stupid penalties. We'll do better this year.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan