What Would You Rather Have?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I really don't understand all the people saying they'll be happy going 11-5 and missing the playoffs. Not me. I want in so bad and it's probably not going to happen. Again. I'm with BA when he said it's a nice foundation but if you don't get into the dance it doesn't mean anything. He said he's not about stats, he wants to win SB's. That's how I feel. I'm proud of the team, obviously, and have a lot of hope for next year, but with this team it's always next year. And next year sucks, because you can never account for injuries or who gets them or how the year is going to play out.

And honestly, if the Cards didn't have bad luck, we'd have no luck at all. Saints have an all but won game and lose in the closing seconds; Falcons have a great chance to tie or go ahead in the closing minutes and throw an INT. Next week the Saints will probably pull it out by getting a safety while the Bucs try to kneel it to end the game (Schiano justice). It's very frustrating and it's been decades of frustration and that obviously hasn't left me yet. I simply cannot sit here and gush over not making the playoffs and declare moral victories. I do that every year with this team and we're going to be doing it again this year. Talking about how next year we're going to make a run and how our schedule was hard this year and will be easier next year and how we have the right chemistry now and the right coach and a better running back and a new QB and on and on. It's the same every year. We rationalize our failure, justify our mistakes, so that our hearts aren't broken again.

Missing the playoffs is totally out of our control. You play the games on your schedule, and hope that you win enough to get you in. It's frustrating for us as fans, but I'm going to celebrate an 11-win season (if it happens). This is where the difference between being a fan and being in the organization is meaningful. Arians can't be happy in the media or the meeting room unless the Arizona Cardinals are in the playoffs. Wolf and Calvisi are going to be happy as long as the Cards aren't losing 58-0.

For me, as a fan? I'm going to celebrate 14 weeks of competitive football (excepting Seattle here and New Orleans) and be really proud of what this group accomplished.

EDIT: BTW, I don't remember a more quiet 10-win football team than the 2013 Arizona Cardinals. Last year, we went 4-0 and were EVERYWHERE in the media. I guess that by the time we were stacking wins we were kind of already on the outside looking in this year. But still.

Last edited:

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I really don't understand all the people saying they'll be happy going 11-5 and missing the playoffs. Not me. I want in so bad and it's probably not going to happen. Again. I'm with BA when he said it's a nice foundation but if you don't get into the dance it doesn't mean anything. He said he's not about stats, he wants to win SB's. That's how I feel. I'm proud of the team, obviously, and have a lot of hope for next year, but with this team it's always next year. And next year sucks, because you can never account for injuries or who gets them or how the year is going to play out.

And honestly, if the Cards didn't have bad luck, we'd have no luck at all. Saints have an all but won game and lose in the closing seconds; Falcons have a great chance to tie or go ahead in the closing minutes and throw an INT. Next week the Saints will probably pull it out by getting a safety while the Bucs try to kneel it to end the game (Schiano justice). It's very frustrating and it's been decades of frustration and that obviously hasn't left me yet. I simply cannot sit here and gush over not making the playoffs and declare moral victories. I do that every year with this team and we're going to be doing it again this year. Talking about how next year we're going to make a run and how our schedule was hard this year and will be easier next year and how we have the right chemistry now and the right coach and a better running back and a new QB and on and on. It's the same every year. We rationalize our failure, justify our mistakes, so that our hearts aren't broken again.[/QUOTE]
I see your point. How exciting was it while the Cards were going 11-2 and beat NE in Foxboro? And look how that ended up. So after decades of watching the Cards do things like that and finally getting to see the team win an NFC title in person with 60,000 other Cardinal fans I just try not to get into what is going to happen next year.

The similar question I liked the most was one someone asked on here several years ago. Would you prefer one Super Bowl win and 9 seasons of 6-10 or 10 years of playoffs and no Super Bowl.

Of course we all would prefer 10 years of playoffs and 10 Super Bowl wins.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Eleven wins and a competent front office that will maximize every draft choice versus the normal 4-5 wins and missing on every other draft choice. That is a no-brainer.

Besides with all the one-year prove-it free agent signings, I'm anticipating a boat-load of compensatory picks in the 2015 draft. ;)

All these one year signings this year may have been part of the paln to get some additional draft choices when they are let go thus giving the team extra draft picks to make trades ala the Patriots who always seem to have a ton of draft choices to play with. I would think the long term plan is to build the team with the draft however you need to be able to move around in it so you can get in to position to get the players you want, and you need draft choices to toss around in trades to do so. Look at the Patriots, they do it every year and flesh out their team with lower cost FA signings. Everyone thought they would be hurt big time when they lost Welker and then the troubles they had at TE, yet they seem to be doing okay.

OP
OP
NJCardFan

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think people are missing the point of my posting this thread. Obviously I'm happy with the 10 wins and hopefully 11 wins but it's like the Super Bowl. We gave the country an exciting game but losing the way we did, I almost would have rather we gotten our doors blown off than lose in the closing seconds. That made it hurt more. But to me, winning 10 or 11 games and missing the playoffs is almost like winning the NIT.

OP
OP
NJCardFan

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
For me, as a fan? I'm going to celebrate 14 weeks of competitive football (excepting Seattle here and New Orleans) and be really proud of what this group accomplished.

EDIT: BTW, I don't remember a more quiet 10-win football team than the 2013 Arizona Cardinals. Last year, we went 4-0 and were EVERYWHERE in the media. I guess that by the time we were stacking wins we were kind of already on the outside looking in this year. But still.
2 things. #1, the first Seattle game was more competitive than people think but the mistakes killed us and killed any momentum we tried to mount. We lost by 12, hardly a blowout. #2, the Cards success this season is anything but quiet. We're being talked about. This is on the front page of Yahoo's NFL page right now: http://sports.yahoo.com/video/bruce-arians-key-cardinals-2013-232821439.html. And on the Sunday pre-game shows we came up in conversation many times. And now when it looks like at worst we're going to win 10 games and miss the post season, we're really being talked about.

Jim Otis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Yes , there is a strong possibility that we go 11 and 5 and don't make the playoffs , but there is a message that should sink into the team . That message is this , " Some Times Good Just Aint Good Enough " so set yourselves to purpose for 2014 and remember that no 12 and 4 team has ever missed the playoffs , come determined and hungry next season .

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
2 things. #1, the first Seattle game was more competitive than people think but the mistakes killed us and killed any momentum we tried to mount. We lost by 12, hardly a blowout. #2, the Cards success this season is anything but quiet. We're being talked about. This is on the front page of Yahoo's NFL page right now: http://sports.yahoo.com/video/bruce-arians-key-cardinals-2013-232821439.html. And on the Sunday pre-game shows we came up in conversation many times. And now when it looks like at worst we're going to win 10 games and miss the post season, we're really being talked about.

I don't agree that the Seahawks game was that competitive. The Cards were down 34-16 before scoring a TD with less than 5 minutes left and the Cards averaged 1.6 ypc rushing. They did get to Wilson 3 times though.

Big Deal

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

That video was crap! Top 6 team in the NFC??? Please. Then the backhanded comment about how the Cards have only made the playoffs 3 times in 30 years, was that necessary?

OP
OP
NJCardFan

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That video was crap! Top 6 team in the NFC??? Please. Then the backhanded comment about how the Cards have only made the playoffs 3 times in 30 years, was that necessary?

Was it wrong? I mean you can argue the top 6 comment(I'd say 4 at worst behind Seattle, SF, and N.O.) but the latter comment is accurate. Our history of futility is unique in the NFL and we should expect these comments.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I completely understand that many on this board are extremely excited about a double digit win season. You have every right to feel that way. For me, unless the Saints lose, 11-5 will do nothing but PISS ME OFF MORE THAN I ALREADY AM! When a franchise like ours wins 11 games, they absolutely, positively have to make the playoffs. We just don't have that many opportunities. To think that this season will automatically carry over into next year can very well be fools gold. As a fan of 50 years, I've seen this happen every decade since the 60's. We just always find a way to revert back to 6-10.

That being said, kudos to the entire Cardinal organization for this season. The future looks bright & hopefully the past is the past. Time will tell.

The Dude

Rookie
Reaction score
Those of you angry (and rightfully so) about Arizona potentially missing the playoffs please direct your anger towards The New Orlean Saints, Drew Brees and scumbag of the year Tony Corrente. If not for the ticky-tack call against Ahmad Brooks that sealed the game for NO the Niners would be tied for the top seed and Arizona would have clinched a playoff spot with their win last week. **** you Tony Corrente.

OP
OP
NJCardFan

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Those of you angry (and rightfully so) about Arizona potentially missing the playoffs please direct your anger towards The New Orlean Saints, Drew Brees and scumbag of the year Tony Corrente. If not for the ticky-tack call against Ahmad Brooks that sealed the game for NO the Niners would be tied for the top seed and Arizona would have clinched a playoff spot with their win last week. **** you Tony Corrente.

Uh, no. Ticky tack or not it was a close call. However, losing to the Rams is the one and only reason why we're missing the playoffs. The other 4 losses are against playoff caliber teams.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I completely understand that many on this board are extremely excited about a double digit win season. You have every right to feel that way. For me, unless the Saints lose, 11-5 will do nothing but PISS ME OFF MORE THAN I ALREADY AM! When a franchise like ours wins 11 games, they absolutely, positively have to make the playoffs. We just don't have that many opportunities. To think that this season will automatically carry over into next year can very well be fools gold. As a fan of 50 years, I've seen this happen every decade since the 60's. We just always find a way to revert back to 6-10.

That being said, kudos to the entire Cardinal organization for this season. The future looks bright & hopefully the past is the past. Time will tell.

I hear ya, but that is what our season has narrowed down to at this point. Nine out of 10 times, we are not only in, but probably have a bye too. It sucks, but that statistical anamoly is just how it is. The NFC was far, far better than the AFC this year.

The Dude

Rookie
Reaction score
Uh, no. Ticky tack or not it was a close call. However, losing to the Rams is the one and only reason why we're missing the playoffs. The other 4 losses are against playoff caliber teams.

I'm not one of those people that will cry foul on every call against my team, but that was bad rule enforcement. Brooks was essentially fined for having arms so huge that it completely enveloped Brees' upper torso when he got hit. The final implications of that call (Az potentially missing the playoffs and seeding) I think is a little more egregious than a opener against a divisional opponent which is basically a pick 'em game anywhere around the league.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05