What's up with the color black?

BigJoe

Rookie
Reaction score
As much as this dead horse has been beaten, I've got to ask this because I don't understand what the fascination on this board is with the color black on the new unis and helmets?

I'm asking purely out of curiousity and not intending to pick an argument. To me, going to black as a primary uniform color was really en vogue about a decade or so ago (see Panthers, Falcons, and Jaguars). I'm not suggesting the current "trend" set by the Bills, Seahawks and Bengals to make them as overly colorful as possible is all that great, but large amounts of black seems really dated and high-school to me. I'm probably in the minority here, so feel free to let me have it. As I live in the midwest, can you folks out in Arizona let me know where the inspiration behind the love for the black helmets and unis came from? I'm just trying to understand and I'm guessing there is some regional influence here. (Not suggesting that the regional influence is dated and high-school, just suggesting that there is something local inspiring this.)

BigRedMO

Registered
Reaction score
I think to younger people (18-25) black represents menace, aggression and creating fear. Darth Vader, the SS etc. I dont get it either. Coming out looking like Zoro will not make them play any better. I really dont think that if Arizona came out in all black the opposition would cower or run or play less well. I think they would pity Arizona players even in the dome as they watch the sweat drip down saying that looks hot! damn hot! I am talking about the temp. I agree that it is trendy, boring and too much use of it is not true to the Cardinals who have red as their primary color. Red is the dominate color on the bird. I would like to see a little black trim but not going overboard. Black is one of the team colors. Black trim used to be used in the road uniforms.

I also think the use of dark colors and dark logos is a generational thing. I like a contrast of dark and light together (darlklogo and light helmet or light logo and dark helmet) to make a logo stand out. The only recent uni change that I like is Atlanta's. They needed to bring the red back into their uniform. Prior to that the all black made the logo, helmet and jersey all run together.

Last edited:

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
BigJoe said:
As much as this dead horse has been beaten, I've got to ask this because I don't understand what the fascination on this board is with the color black on the new unis and helmets?

I'm asking purely out of curiousity and not intending to pick an argument. To me, going to black as a primary uniform color was really en vogue about a decade or so ago (see Panthers, Falcons, and Jaguars). I'm not suggesting the current "trend" set by the Bills, Seahawks and Bengals to make them as overly colorful as possible is all that great, but large amounts of black seems really dated and high-school to me. I'm probably in the minority here, so feel free to let me have it. As I live in the midwest, can you folks out in Arizona let me know where the inspiration behind the love for the black helmets and unis came from? I'm just trying to understand and I'm guessing there is some regional influence here. (Not suggesting that the regional influence is dated and high-school, just suggesting that there is something local inspiring this.)

Black just has a more aggresive feel to it and I personally think it make the color red look more bold and fiery. The basic colors of Red, Black, and White just have a very nice, stark, contrast, that makes each color (or lack of color) look that much more intense.

We want the intense feeling in every facet of this franchise, clothing is just a small part. Plus, with marketing that color combination sells very well.

BIGTONY

Registered
Reaction score
I actually like red helmets and black fascemasks...I also think white face masks would look cool to.. :thumbup:

chickenhead

Reaction score
As a member of the 'younger' generation, I'd wager that most of us see through the black gambit just as much. Too many ill-fated attempts to slap it on. In my mind, using black as a primary color for a team called the Cardinals is as stupid as the Royals using it. As an accent color, maybe, but what's the point?

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The color black is the exact opposite of the color White. My guess is that many people want to see this team completely change it's image. Going with Black would be as extreme a change as it gets with regards to a color change.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MadCardDisease said:
The color black is the exact opposite of the color White. My guess is that many people want to see this team completely change it's image. Going with Black would be as extreme a change as it gets with regards to a color change.
What the hell is wrong with you? You know we dont allow logic around these parts. :D

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
BigRedMO said:
Coming out looking like Zoro will not make them play any better. I really dont think that if Arizona came out in all black the opposition would cower or run or play less well.
I believe that Michael Bidwill said that the players wanted the uniforms to look tougher. Just as far as the logo goes this is what a current and past player said-

"I think it's a more determined look," safety Adrian Wilson said. "We have a young team so I think it will fit in with us."

Even a couple of older birds liked it. Former Cardinals safety Larry Wilson was a rookie when the bird made its debut in 1960 and he likes the new one better.

"When you go out to play, you really like to be dressed up and feel good about yourself," said Wilson, who's in the Hall of Fame.

"I'd like to have that thing hanging on my headgear, because it looks a hell of a lot meaner than the other one."

That's what people are looking for. Just for the record, I don't want black helmets. I would like more black on the uniform but as a secondary color.

BigRedMO said:
I think they would pity Arizona players even in the dome as they watch the sweat drip down saying that looks hot! damn hot! I am talking about the temp.

Black is no hotter than any other color except in direct sunlight.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Black was the color of choice in most inner cities; thus the stampede by many NFL teams to go in that direction with their merch.

The only reason I'm intrigued with the color black is the way the black parts of the Bird logo can become continuous with the black background, therefore simplifying (and making more cool) the redbird image.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I swear... the cards unveil an updated logo with a black OUTLINE and people go all crazy with it. I really dont see the team going with black as a primary color.

Rats

Somanyfreaks,SofewCircus'
Reaction score
earthsci said:
Black is no hotter than any other color except in direct sunlight.
As it were, Arizona only gets direct sunlight in Aug thru Oct :D ..........but I guess since we will become a dome team maybe the thought of black isn't so bad. I don't see a color change to the helmet on the horizon however.

Djaughe

Reaction score
copper...copper...copper...

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IN terms of light, black is the absence of color, not a color at all, that's why in outer space where no light escapes, everything is black(and nobody can hear you scream).

In paint, white is the absence of color and black is the blending of all colors.

Black became popular in fashion circles because black tends to make us look slimmer, and white make us look fatter.

I'm not sure if it's a young thing, goth people for example love black and goth is from gothic which isn't exactly new.

I just don't want to look like the arizona buccaneers.

Djaughe

Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
....I just don't want to look like the arizona buccaneers.

lol...thier colors are pewter.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Djaughe said:
lol...thier colors are pewter.

True but I think red and black would look very similar to red and pewter, which I don't like.

Not sure why, it's like how nobody liked to wear black socks in sports because it makes them look slow, suddenly black socks are everywhere.

Maybe it's growing up thinking how cool Billy "white shoes" Johnson was but I tend to equate white uniforms with speed and excitement and black with slow and plodding, like the Raiders were.

vini

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
for the cardinals black makes sense cardinals are after all red and black with a little yellow on the beak . they are not going to black as a fad it's part of a primary color scheme

jerryp

Grey facemasks forever.
Reaction score
vini said:
for the cardinals black makes sense cardinals are after all red and black with a little yellow on the beak . they are not going to black as a fad it's part of a primary color scheme

Cardinals have red beaks. Where the hell yellow came from I'll never know. Saying the Cardinals use black as a primary color because a portion of the logo is black is like saying red is a primary color of the Titans because they have three little red stars in their logo.

Brevity

Tryin' to get my lap back
Reaction score
Jetstream Green said:
The Cardinals originally had black stripes on their pants and sleeves, bring some of that back and loose that Arizona state flag.

If I were King, I would incorporate the Az state flag into the helmet. But, I'm not King. I'm sure some will be happy about that.

BigRedMO

Registered
Reaction score
I have heard uniform ideas of all black, all red or just the bird eye on the helmet. I believe those ideas come form younger people. I may be wrong. Tell me if I am. I dislike the ideas but I dont knock the people who came up with them. When you are younger you tend to see things differently as to what is stylish or cool. God knows sometimes I wonder what I was thinking when I was younger. But if I was 18 again I would probably reach the same conclusions I did then. So no knock intended. People change as the age. My impression is the older fans like the classic colors, combinations and uniforms with contrasts in color(dark shirt, white pants, etc) instead of all one color. I did like the all white road unis. Once again if there are significant numbers of people outside the mold please correct me.

As for the comments about players saying they will play better in new uniforms I rend to see that as PR fluff to generate merchandise sales. My opinion is players play for:

1.Money
2.Recognition from their peers
3.Winning

If the current group of Arizona players did not win because of their uniforms then they should all be cut or traded. Wilson would have played in a jock, a plain white helmet and cleats. I have never yet heard a FA say yeah I signed with them because they have great uniforms. Tradition aside the Packers with yellow pants and yellow helmets is sooooooooooooo ugly!!!!!! They have to put a G on the helmet so they wont get lost? I guess UGA has the same problem. S o much for originality.Yet some people have played well in those Packer uniforms. It is not the uniforms. It is the men wearing the uniforms. As can be seen from the many lousy Packer teams between Lombardi and Farve.

I attribute the different taste in uniforms by age to seeing it become popular for NFL teams to wear all solid dark colors (pants and shirt) in recent years. I hate that combination. I dont recall seeing that in the NFL from the 70s to mid 90s. Teams wore all white road frequently in that era. I first saw all solid dark uniforms at high school level then it went to college level in recent years and now it is at the NFL level.

Last edited:

jerryp

Grey facemasks forever.
Reaction score
I'm in the young crowd and I prefer the old school looks. Love the current version of the uniform. The old alternate uniforms in NFL2k5 also rule. The '94 throwback uniforms with gold pants, red jersey, plain white helmet and the late 50's uniform of white pants, red jersey and plain red helmet. With grey facemasks of course. As Spartan as possible. We'll talk about sissifying the uniform with stripes and decals and patches when we win a divisional playoff game.

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
I'm 27 and I am hoping for red helmet, jersey, pants and socks. Black facemask and black shoes to finish it all off. And a double-bar facemask for Player while we're at it....

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Some black would be welcomed

The Cardinals originally had black stripes on their pants and sleeves, bring some of that back and loose that Arizona state flag.