When are fans & local media going to start calling out Rollis (and somewhat JG) for their atrocious schemes defensively?

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
He’s young & clearly in over his head particularly in pass defense. Too many easy throws, blown coverages or missed assignment football. It’s like 7 on 7 flag coverage repeatedly & simply maddening watching them trying to defend anyone’s passing game!!! Imo it’s all on Rollis.

Sure we lack more talent but I still believe we’ve got better coverage CBs in m2m man than zone. I also believe Garrett Williams needs to be starting on the outside, Max (finally) on the other side & Rabbit in the slot. And why is Mack Wilson repeatedly pulled out of LB on obvious passing down when not used on the edge.

Dumb football, poor coaching, poor scheme equals terrible defense & losses. I still believe while the offense has its own issues, defense is its number one issue!!!

OP
OP
Buckybird

Buckybird

Reaction score
Btw Tua looks as if he’s missed zero time throwing the rock against Rollis’ piss poor schemes. Ugh

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I don’t think Rallis is a problem.
I think he’s fine with the little talent he’s been given. But I can see where it’s frustrating. The 3rd down defense is putrid.
The defense plays hard and up to and sometimes above their talent levels. That’s about all you can ask.

OP
OP
Buckybird

Buckybird

Reaction score
I don’t think Rallis is a problem.
I think he’s fine with the little talent he’s been given. But I can see where it’s frustrating. The 3rd down defense is putrid.
The defense plays hard and up to and sometimes above their talent levels. That’s about all you can ask.
We shall see but too many easy throws, every game. I agree with your last statement, but still think whomever is making the decisions who the starters at the 3 CB spots are are screwing the pooch. I think Melton is really good (and their best) in m2m & so is Williams. Theres no reason #24 should be starting on the outside. That’s on the coaches

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He’s young. You take the bad with the good. As an unconventional multi-sport coach for 20 years now, I did how Gannon has went about things. Staff and scheme. I see it as a building process and we’re just past the foundation stage.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We knew the defense was going to be overmatched going into this season.
We play not to give up chunk plays and hope to hold our opponents to a fg.

We scored 28 points today. If we can continue to do that we may win more games than we lose.

DutchmanAZ

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
For what we have on defense....they're doing a damn good job overall. Give up a ton of yardage, but manage to keep the score close.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
He’s young & clearly in over his head particularly in pass defense. Too many easy throws, blown coverages or missed assignment football. It’s like 7 on 7 flag coverage repeatedly & simply maddening watching them trying to defend anyone’s passing game!!! Imo it’s all on Rollis.

Sure we lack more talent but I still believe we’ve got better coverage CBs in m2m man than zone. I also believe Garrett Williams needs to be starting on the outside, Max (finally) on the other side & Rabbit in the slot. And why is Mack Wilson repeatedly pulled out of LB on obvious passing down when not used on the edge.

Dumb football, poor coaching, poor scheme equals terrible defense & losses. I still believe while the offense has its own issues, defense is its number one issue!!!

Hmmm.. I'm usually with you 1000% Bucky, but I'm not sure about this one.

It's not like we were playing the Sisters of the Poor today, and NR doesn't have a whole lot to work with, especially at IDL and EDGE.

Is it super fair to judge Rallis when he has nothing approaching a star in the entire front seven?

And I know it's not everything, but check this out:

1. They shut out DET in the 2nd half, and kept us in that game.
2. They shut out SF in the 2nd half, including stopping Purdy on their final game winning drive.
3. They completely shut down an albeit wounded LA rams offense.
4. Held the chargers to 15 including some late stops in that game.
4. They got a late stop against BUF and gave the offense a chance to win the game.
5. They got the late stop today and the offense finally paid it off.

I know they look really, really terrible some drives. Just awful. Embarrassing.

But they're also too damn stubborn to admit they're overmatched too. A bunch of times when we've absolutely needed a stop, they've gotten it.

Honestly? I think the defense is just as responsible for us being four and four as is the offense, and I think NR (and JG) deserve some credit for that.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It's not like we were playing the Sisters of the Poor today, and NR doesn't have a whole lot to work with, especially at IDL and EDGE.

Is it super fair to judge Rallis when he has nothing approaching a star in the entire front seven?

2. They shut out SF in the 2nd half, including stopping Purdy on their final game winning drive.
4. They got a late stop against BUF and gave the offense a chance to win the game.

But they're also too damn stubborn to admit they're overmatched too. A bunch of times when we've absolutely needed a stop, they've gotten it.

Honestly? I think the defense is just as responsible for us being four and four as is the offense, and I think NR (and JG) deserve some credit for that.
When you score 14 points or less you can’t really put it on the defense.

OP
OP
Buckybird

Buckybird

Reaction score

Fair.
I’ve still got concerns because good teams attract defensively. Year 3 better be much better with upgraded talent or I’m revisiting this lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan