When Jake pickes up his option.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
We should try to trade him for a 2nd rounder. We can fill the end of our bench with cheap second day draft picks, and there are supposed to be some descent guys to fall this year. Pluss clear his cap #

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
IMO no. We need 14 players on the roster and he will have more value than a none drafted player. Also I am not sure he will pick up the option just due to if he can't play next year then this could be his last year. If he opts out then he can at least get a 2-3 yr deal.

Biclops

Superhero with glasses
Reaction score
I thought I read somewhere that Jake DID pick up his player option

I dont think we will trade Jake as he has no trade value right now. Considering some good talent might fall into the 2nd round I think none of the team will be willing to trade away for it

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Biclops said:
I thought I read somewhere that Jake DID pick up his player option

I dont think we will trade Jake as he has no trade value right now. Considering some good talent might fall into the 2nd round I think none of the team will be willing to trade away for it

I think you're correct, Jake picked up his option a couple days after we were eliminated.

OP
OP
Goldfield

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
SweetD said:
IMO no. We need 14 players on the roster and he will have more value than a none drafted player. Also I am not sure he will pick up the option just due to if he can't play next year then this could be his last year. If he opts out then he can at least get a 2-3 yr deal.
Jake has no value to the Suns. We might as well get a guy we can develope with a late pick.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
I think you're correct, Jake picked up his option a couple days after we were eliminated.

Nope not yet. June 18th was the last we have heard anything.

• Steven Hunter's agent, Marc Bartelstein, said his client still plans to pass on his $745,000 option. Hunter wants to stay with Phoenix but is not interested in the $1.7 million exception slot.

"I think Steven's value is much higher than that," Bartelstein said.

He said his other Suns client, Jake Voskuhl, is undecided on his $1,875,000 option. Suns President and General Manager Bryan Colangelo said it is likely Voskuhl will pick it up.if(ScriptsLoaded) stInit();

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
SweetD said:
Nope not yet. June 18th was the last we have heard anything.

• Steven Hunter's agent, Marc Bartelstein, said his client still plans to pass on his $745,000 option. Hunter wants to stay with Phoenix but is not interested in the $1.7 million exception slot.

"I think Steven's value is much higher than that," Bartelstein said.

He said his other Suns client, Jake Voskuhl, is undecided on his $1,875,000 option. Suns President and General Manager Bryan Colangelo said it is likely Voskuhl will pick it up.if(ScriptsLoaded) stInit();

No, I could swear I read somewhere else that he had picked it up. Could be wrong though. He'd be stupid not to.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
No, I could swear I read somewhere else that he had picked it up. Could be wrong though. He'd be stupid not to.

During this interview on June 2nd he still is not sure and his wife just had surgery. I am sure if the Suns could find a trade partner he would take the option but if you take the option and don't play you might not get another contract the following year.

You must be registered for see images

32Minutes long​

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SweetD said:
During this interview on June 2nd he still is not sure and his wife just had surgery. I am sure if the Suns could find a trade partner he would take the option but if you take the option and don't play you might not get another contract the following year.

You must be registered for see images

32Minutes long​

I understand the urge to try and get playing time, but if Voskhul's got a family, he needs to look at his role as an NBA player as a... JOB. He'll never get 1.9 million anywhere else. Why not ride that out and then hook on somewhere else for the same amount of coin he'd be taking less for this year?

I'd like for him not to be on the roster because he eats about a million too much, but I'll declare him an outright idiot if he opts out.

myrondizzo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
I understand the urge to try and get playing time, but if Voskhul's got a family, he needs to look at his role as an NBA player as a... JOB. He'll never get 1.9 million anywhere else. Why not ride that out and then hook on somewhere else for the same amount of coin he'd be taking less for this year?

I'd like for him not to be on the roster because he eats about a million too much, but I'll declare him an outright idiot if he opts out.
i think the fear is that if he spends another season riding the bench that he would be alot less likely to get another 3 year deal. 1.9 miliion would be great but if it meant that he would be unemployed after that it might seem kinda scary. so if he could make 1 million for the next 5years if he doesnt pick up his option then there might be a temptation to be a FA(I hope).

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:

I agree. I think we will be stuck with a guy D'Antoni won't play. They could have at least put him out there to foul Duncan and body him to try and slow him down in a couple games. If Mike wouldn't play him then, he never will. I am talking playoffs. :(

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
myrondizzo said:
i think the fear is that if he spends another season riding the bench that he would be alot less likely to get another 3 year deal. 1.9 miliion would be great but if it meant that he would be unemployed after that it might seem kinda scary. so if he could make 1 million for the next 5years if he doesnt pick up his option then there might be a temptation to be a FA(I hope).

Well Jake will not get a five year option but will be a five year pro so his base salary will be around 450k. I agree I don't see him leaving 1.9million unless he was going to get a 2 year deal for more. If he does take the option it will mean he will be traded for 2nd rounder or future considerations. I can see him going to Charlotte or Atlanta

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
myrondizzo said:
so if he could make 1 million for the next 5years if he doesnt pick up his option then there might be a temptation to be a FA(I hope).

boy is that wishful thinking. A guy like Jake should take as much money as he can while playing the game - especially money that's guaranteed. He's just as likely to - if not more so - to make 1.9 over the course of the next 4 years or not making that up at all if he drops guaranteed cash. Guys like him are a dime a dozen in the NBA.

myrondizzo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
SweetD said:
Well Jake will not get a five year option but will be a five year pro so his base salary will be around 450k. I agree I don't see him leaving 1.9million unless he was going to get a 2 year deal for more. If he does take the option it will mean he will be traded for 2nd rounder or future considerations. I can see him going to Charlotte or Atlanta
i wasn't saying that he would get a five year deal but that if he actually got to play on some other team his value would go up and he would likely extend his career by actually displaying some value. where as if he were to rot on the bench it would make him less likely to get A contract period. players like jake are of most value when they are out on the court hustling. when teams cant see it all they see an untalented stiff sitting on the end of the bench. they are very unlikely to give that player a deal over a guy that sits the bench with a ton of potential.

OP
OP
Goldfield

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
With a 2nd rounder we could get a guy like Nate Robinson which would have more value than Jake does here.

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
Get rid of Jake. I would rather pick up a second rounder like Dee Brown, Salim Stoudemire or Nate Robinson.

fordronken

Reaction score
If Salim Stoudemire can learn to play a lick of defense, he'd be an interesting guy to bring in alongside JJ in the back court. If he can learn to guard shooting guards, Nash will get him some great looks. But the prospect of a Nash/Salim backourt scares the defensive hell out of me.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
JPlay said:
Get rid of Jake. I would rather pick up a second rounder like Dee Brown, Salim Stoudemire or Nate Robinson.

I am sure Dee Brown with drew from the draft.

HooverDam

Reaction score
We HAVE to trade Jake. His contract is just too big for what he brings to the table. Yes, he may be better this upcoming season that whatever 2nd rounder we get, but that 2nd rounder will be cheaper. Thus hopefully allowing us to resign the guys we want and go after a FA. Heck, I'd even be willing to trade Jake for future draft picks, in other words for nothing this year. Just get his salary off the roster.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
HooverDam said:
We HAVE to trade Jake. His contract is just too big for what he brings to the table. Yes, he may be better this upcoming season that whatever 2nd rounder we get, but that 2nd rounder will be cheaper. Thus hopefully allowing us to resign the guys we want and go after a FA. Heck, I'd even be willing to trade Jake for future draft picks, in other words for nothing this year. Just get his salary off the roster.

What makes you think that 29 other teams won't think that very same thing? :confused:

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Maybe we could trade Jake Voksuhl for Jake Tsakalides! :biglaugh:

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Jake might have "some" minimal trade value, but probably not for pure cap space. Jake has reasonable rebounds per minute numbers and is good at double teams. He is not too bad at setting picks if the guard waits (Marbury was awful about that). So, he might be marginally useful to some teams. But I wouldn't expect to get a high second rounder for him.