Where can we find one?

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
The Diamondbacks need a veteran power hitter for the middle of the batting order, perhaps a switch hitter, and an outstanding defensive player at his position and team leader.

The needs of the Diamondbacks are greater than those of Conor Jackson at this point. Especially with Conor's lackadaisical demeanor. Not to mention his horrible batting average and medicore fielding.

Tony Clark should be our everyday 1B as long as he can handle it -- one year, two years.

Congratulations to Bob Melvin for playing Clark the past two games. Three extra base hits, 5 RBI's.

Now let's see if he can choose consistency over pot-luck lineups.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't most teams want one?

Who would you give up to get one?

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Let's hope Tony can get on one of those long hot streaks like he had two years ago.

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
The Diamondbacks need a veteran power hitter for the middle of the batting order, perhaps a switch hitter, and an outstanding defensive player at his position and team leader.

The needs of the Diamondbacks are greater than those of Conor Jackson at this point. Especially with Conor's lackadaisical demeanor. Not to mention his horrible batting average and medicore fielding.

Tony Clark should be our everyday 1B as long as he can handle it -- one year, two years.

Congratulations to Bob Melvin for playing Clark the past two games. Three extra base hits, 5 RBI's.

Now let's see if he can choose consistency over pot-luck lineups.

No way Clark should be the starting first baseman. If the Dbacks were a Clark away from winning a championship then sure, but they are not.

There is no reason to sacrifice the future when this team is built for just that, the future.

Clark is a leader whether he plays or not. And as far as Jackson's demeanor, who knows what he is like outside of what we see when he plays. If you watch any of the guys outside of Valverde it would seem that they don't care.

OP
OP
BC867

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Don't most teams want one?

Who would you give up to get one?
That's my point. He's already a D'back.

The potential of this round of Baby-backs is great. But with young players all around, would it be a mistake to put veteran leadership at one position?

Not to mention a legitimate cleanup hitter, and a switch-hitter at that.

A feared bat in the #4 spot would take pressure off the rest of the lineup.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Tony Clark isn't a feared hitter at all. Tony Clark is mostly terrible these days (though he's done well the last 2 games). I agree the Dbacks need more power if they want to be serious contenders, but Tony Clark doesn't give them that.

Espo

Lets Go Suns
Reaction score
This team is 9 and 4 and has scored a decent amount of runs. I don't think you need to do anything to mess up chemistry or anything right now. It would be ridiculous to make Tony Clark the everyday first baseman. Jackson had a great average and on base percentage last season and will get on track again this year. Clark isn't a power bat and honestly I think that a power bat is very overrated. If you have a lineup where everyone is an on base threat and can hit for average and get on base then you don't need the long ball because you will score plenty of runs just by moving the guys from base to base. Solid hitting throughout the line up will get the job done.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tony Clark is everything you want from a bench player/spot starter and more, but he hasn't been a true every day guy in the lineup for several years now.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
This team is 9 and 4 and has scored a decent amount of runs. I don't think you need to do anything to mess up chemistry or anything right now. It would be ridiculous to make Tony Clark the everyday first baseman. Jackson had a great average and on base percentage last season and will get on track again this year. Clark isn't a power bat and honestly I think that a power bat is very overrated. If you have a lineup where everyone is an on base threat and can hit for average and get on base then you don't need the long ball because you will score plenty of runs just by moving the guys from base to base. Solid hitting throughout the line up will get the job done.

I agree 100%. Tony Clark is what he is- a pinch hitter and spot 1B

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Melvin is intelligent (which I often question on here), then he must start Tony Clark today.... Melvin must ride "the hot hand" as much as he could. That was why I was stunned that Snyder started over Montero yesterday. Montero hitting that HR on Sat should have warranted him to be behind the plate yesterday. That would have been an absolute confidence/momentum builder for him.

Clark deserves to start at least one game a week to keep him fresh and it would also prevent CoJack from pressing as much as he has. Also, CoJack must be placed in the 6th spot of the order....if they continue using him at #4 or #5, he will continue to pull off the ball and effectively lose his absolute strength, which his is spray-hitting capabilities...

diamondbacker

Reaction score
Tony Clark isn't a feared hitter at all. Tony Clark is mostly terrible these days (though he's done well the last 2 games). I agree the Dbacks need more power if they want to be serious contenders, but Tony Clark doesn't give them that.

I pretty much agree here -

Are you suddenly a feared power hitter if you are hot for 2 days? Granted, he did very well in 2005, but he hit below .200 last year. CoJack has a better eye at the plate and there is absolutely no harm in letting him grow this year as a young player who could break out this year and having a legitimate power bat off the bench... I think that scares more clubs.

Also, this nonsense about needing a power bat is ridculous. Take a look at the 96 Yankees who won 114 games. Nobody hit over 30 HR's, yet they still were very successful? Why? Because the hit well in the clutch and piled up RBI's. Nobody on the team will hit over 30 HR's or so, but everyone this year has a chance to hit over 15, and many may hit over 20. There is no big, feared hitter in the lineup, but other than the pitcher, there is no automatic out, either.

Last edited:

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I hear theres one at Alcor in Scottsdale chilling and just dying to make a comeback..

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05