Whis makes me love BA more

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
The system works.

If I had to turn an entire organization around, I would like to have Whiz as the coach.

Once the organization is turned around, I would fire Whiz, and hire someone to improve the team on the field. I think Whiz's confidence and arrogance is good for a franchise that needs to hear the truth about how they are ruining their own team from the top down.

Whiz had a couple great quotes from when he went to interview with the Browns, one of which where he was taken aback by the judgement of a then GM of the Browns and his assessment of what he thought Whiz's potential coaching staff was.

More or less, Whiz was pretty pissed off that a person that had never coached a day in his life would question his coaching staff.

Last edited:

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
More or less, Whiz was pretty pissed off that a person that had never coached a day in his life would question his coaching staff.

I don't think one needs coaching experience to question whether or not Russ Grimm can adequately coach an offensive line.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think one needs coaching experience to question whether or not Russ Grimm can adequately coach an offensive line.

I also do not need offensive line experience to know Levi is a horrible LT.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
The system works.

If I had to turn an entire organization around, I would like to have Whiz as the coach.

Once the organization is turned around, I would fire Whiz, and hire someone to improve the team on the field. I think Whiz's confidence and arrogance is good for a franchise that needs to hear the truth about how they are ruining their own team from the top down.

Whiz had a couple great quotes from when he went to interview with the Browns, one of which where he was taken aback by the judgement of a then GM of the Browns and his assessment of what he thought Whiz's potential coaching staff was.

So-----you don't believe that Keim and BA turned this roster around last year????? One can argue that they did, (and I believe succeeded much better than Whiz could have, given the same roster to start with. I just don't see all the love for Whiz here.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I think Whis is a great coach with an established team or rather one close with the answer at QB on the roster. I still think a lot of his talent came from Denny Green who forgot how to make halftime adjustments. That by the way is what really impresses me about our staff, they make halftime adjustment very well compared to the past. A lot of times it was just the system on rinse and repeat in the late tenure of Whis but then again what can you do without a QB lol

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
So-----you don't believe that Keim and BA turned this roster around last year?????

Just show me where I said that, I will respond.

I did VERY CLEARLY SAY THIS:

Once the organization is turned around, I would fire Whiz, and hire someone to improve the team on the field.

One can argue that they did, (and I believe succeeded much better than Whiz could have, given the same roster to start with. I just don't see all the love for Whiz here.

Again, just tell me where I said anything to that nature, and I will respond.

You wanna say that you don't think Whiz had a big influence on turning the ORGANIZATION (not roster, that is a different word all together with different meaning) around from the ridiculousness that we saw in the early 2000's then that is fine. To each his own. That is what I was stating, and that is what I was talking about. I would be happy to debate that.

If you want to say that you think Arians and Keim did a better job building a team (aka a roster, again, different word than organization) then do so. Because I agree, and even said as much in the original post. Just see above in my first response where I very clearly, in bold, point that out. So, yes, one could argue this point.....you just need to find opposition to it first.

I can only speak on the words I write, not the ones in your head.

Last edited:

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I think Whis is a great coach with an established team or rather one close with the answer at QB on the roster. I still think a lot of his talent came from Denny Green who forgot how to make halftime adjustments. That by the way is what really impresses me about our staff, they make halftime adjustment very well compared to the past. A lot of times it was just the system on rinse and repeat in the late tenure of Whis but then again what can you do without a QB lol

Agreed.

Whiz can setup an organization, and establish a culture.

I have zero faith he can evaluate players. You find a man to shop for the groceries, and he can cook the meal, IMO.

And, no, before the assumptions, and wild accusations start, I am NOT stating that Arians cannot setup an organization, and establish a culture, as well.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score

I don't think one needs GM experience to question whether or not the Browns front office can adequately run an NFL team, too.

I'll be the 1st to say Whiz has SERIOUS issues evaluating talent, and his coaching staffs are very suspect.

But, in my opinion, he has a point that someone from the BROWNS is telling him how to do things.

BTW - Haven't seen Russ Grimm hired by the Titans yet, so maybe Whiz can change. Just sayin'

And again, a disclaimer, that is NOT saying I would rather have Whiz than the current coaching staff, whom I have, at LENGTH supported, and celebrated. I am happy Whiz is gone, and we have who we have.

But, giving Whiz no credit for what he did for this organization is missing the boat, IMO.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
http://www.tennessean.com/videonetw...ans-coach-Ken-Whisenhunt-talks-with-Jim-Wyatt

I wanted to scream hearing Whis' non-committal, keep things cloaked answers, made me realize how much I like BA and Keim. And I liked Whis as a coach, but these interviews make me really happy he is gone :)

What was wrong with that interview? Complaining about that is just wanting to complain about something.

I guess maybe if he proclaimed his LT as elite you'd have liked it better.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Well after listening to the interview I believe Chris Johnson's days in Titan land may be numbered. I may be wrong however It's just what I took away from the interview. As far as Locker I think Whiz sees another strong arm QB which doesn't necessarily translate to a good QB.

bigfan1357

Reaction score
You don't need to have experience as a movie director to know if a movie is any good, just like you don't need to be a coach to know if the coaching is any good.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And again, a disclaimer, that is NOT saying I would rather have Whiz than the current coaching staff, whom I have, at LENGTH supported, and celebrated. I am happy Whiz is gone, and we have who we have.

But, giving Whiz no credit for what he did for this organization is missing the boat, IMO.

Cosign.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
You don't need to have experience as a movie director to know if a movie is any good, just like you don't need to be a coach to know if the coaching is any good.

Pointing out what is wrong with something after the fact, is a heck of a lot easier than planning for the future.

Any moron can look at results and say whether they are good or bad, the challenge is solving problems, and planning for the future.

And again, I will ask, does the Browns organization, just looking at the organization's results, seem to be any more in the know ?

Finally, I am pretty sure that most people on this board would not be too happy to hear that what they do for a living can be easily quantified, and analyzed by someone whom has never done said job a day in his life.

How would you like it if someone whom never worked your job a day in his life came in and told you how to do it, and how much they know about it ?

Just sayin'

Last edited:

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Just show me where I said that, I will respond.

I did VERY CLEARLY SAY THIS:

Once the organization is turned around, I would fire Whiz, and hire someone to improve the team on the field.

Again, just tell me where I said anything to that nature, and I will respond.

You wanna say that you don't think Whiz had a big influence on turning the ORGANIZATION (not roster, that is a different word all together with different meaning) around from the ridiculousness that we saw in the early 2000's then that is fine. To each his own. That is what I was stating, and that is what I was talking about. I would be happy to debate that.

If you want to say that you think Arians and Keim did a better job building a team (aka a roster, again, different word than organization) then do so. Because I agree, and even said as much in the original post. Just see above in my first response where I very clearly, in bold, point that out. So, yes, one could argue this point.....you just need to find opposition to it first.

I can only speak on the words I write, not the ones in your head.

My mistake Muffin. You clearly stated organization and I was thinking roster. The mistake is mine and I apologize for that mistake. You are correct, both in your wording, and your assumption. I stand corrected.

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Finally, I am pretty sure that most people on this board would not be too happy to hear that what they do for a living can be easily quantified, and analyzed by someone whom has never done said job a day in his life.

How would you like it if someone whom never worked your job a day in his life came in and told you how to do it, and how much they know about it ?

Just sayin'

That's definitely one of the downsides of being a GM or a coach in the NFL. You have a number of very loud customers who frequently think they can do your job better than you can. If it wasn't for that, sports talk radio and boards such as this wouldn't even exist.

OP
OP
B

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
What was wrong with that interview? Complaining about that is just wanting to complain about something.

I guess maybe if he proclaimed his LT as elite you'd have liked it better.

Nothing wrong with the interview at all - it was pure Whis. I like the guy, always hated his interviews and not saying things directly. That is his personality, I am just glad I don't have to hear this particular brand of coach-speak.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
If Wiz has a ready made QB in place he is a damn fine coach. If I had Aaron Rodgers, Luck, Big Ben, Brady, etc he would be in my top 5 choices for HC.

Problem is he doesnt have on in Tenn IMO.

I think Graves ham strung him with his sheer incomeptence more then we all realize. My guess is that will prove out at some point if not right away.

just better pray Locker is a guy he can get something out of.

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I don't buy into most of these armchair theories about Whis. "If he has a QB he's a damn fine coach," is just a backhanded compliment and one that's generally true of ANY coach. It also has the added benefit of being the laziest analysis a person can make, because you don't have to know anything except that we sucked after Warner left. Everyone looks good when you have a QB--the other coaches, even the players. Such breathtaking analysis without actually saying anything.

Then the next step of laziness is to rave about BA, who hasn't even taken us to the playoffs yet, while at the same time totally ignoring the fact that he had a better QB than any Whis had after Warner. Brilliant analysis.

And no, you don't have to be a coach to know a team sucks, but it helps to know what another coach has to go through during the daily and yearly grind. It helps to know a coach paid his dues coaching instead of just knowing people or having money and connections. It would be like me telling my vet he's incompetent because my dog died, without even knowing anything about canine physiology. Ridiculous.

(Wasn't directed at you specifically AZ, agree with your last couple paragraphs)

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Last edited:

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Greatest Cardinal HC in our pathetic history. Wake me when someone else wins 2 Division Titles, 4 playoff games, an NFC Championship & gets us within a minute of winning a Super Bowl. Until then, you're beating a dead horse.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
Whiz was cut throat to his players- When you get bad across every unit on both sides of the ball - really bad- that quick! It is the Head coach and the hiring of the likes of Mike Miller at OC! threatened and cut and brought in 50+ new players- and we got much much worse! He kept pets cut talented players - and kissed frogs that remained Frogs! Porter, McFadden, Gay Ex Steeler busts on and on and on.

He really did win with talent acquired by Denny Green, including Kurt! gained additional powers on the 2nd HC contract and really screwed the Pooch! I hate his play calling - nothing like I expected when we hired him from the Steelers- first in rushing attempts for years to last in rushing attempt for years with the Cards-

Whiz kept 2 QB's as a Rookie HC and they were both broken early and we got Tim and Tim off the couch in 07! We won weak, very weak divisions in 08 and 09! I mean we had the division wrapped up at mid season in 08 and then passed ourselves to death prior to EDGE saving us with a run game- in the last game against the Seahawks and the playoff wins!

We lost the SB with 10 rushing attempts- we was shamed in the 10 rushing attempt 09 saints playoff loss! WHIZ NEVER WATCHED EITHER OF THEM GAMES! He could not
CARDINAL UP AND TAKE IT LIKE A FAN!

He could not stomach watching the TEAM HE PUT ON THE FIELD AS A HEAD COACH!
Couldn't stomach watching HIS OWN PERFORMANCE AS HEAD COACH OF THE ARIZONA CARDINAL FOOTBALL CLUB!

That alone is reason enough to tell him to hit the road - HE CALLED MANY MORE RUSHING ATTEMPTS for the Chargers! and they were a consistently good team.

Good Luck Titan Fans, your going to need it!

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
I just love the irony of complaining about a Cardinal's coaching in the Super Bowl. :) Never thought I would see it.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake