Whiz and Graves streaming pre-draft press conference 1pm PDT/4pm EDT today

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the late notice. Just got the word from twitter and it is only 40 mins from now.

Link: Press Conference

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i'll be listening. Thanks,

Rats

Somanyfreaks,SofewCircus'
Reaction score
Great Interview with Rod and Coach Whis. I like that they always have an objective clearly laid out with regards to the draft and have a great check and balance with a 120 player board that fits there needs. The Big board can not always get the best player for your need so it is good the way they do it. It has obviously worked since they started doing it under Dennis Green( according to Rod Graves in the presser) and we are no longer thought of as a Draft Day laughing stock. I do not envision us stealing a Chris Wells like last year but I am very confident that we will end up with some really good football players to add to a very good team. And Cody Brown is just like getting a nice bonus since he was a high pick(2nd) and is at a position of need. I think we are going to see a great draft form Whis, Rod, Steve and all the coaches. I am ready for the new format and hope we get the players we want. I would have liked to have heard something about how they get the UDFA squared away so quickly after the draft. They have done good at this in the past as well. Great Draft week lead in. Thanks Guys

OP
OP
jw7

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well kind of what you would expect with standard answers.

The only nugget that was kind of surprising is that when Graves was asked about trading up, he initially worded his answer like he would do it, even mentioned the extra 3rd round pick and said the Cards are in a better position to do that this year. Then he backed off.

Hmmm.

Monty

2010 Cardinals Draft Guru
Reaction score
Great Interview with Rod and Coach Whis. I like that they always have an objective clearly laid out with regards to the draft and have a great check and balance with a 120 player board that fits there needs. The Big board can not always get the best player for your need so it is good the way they do it. It has obviously worked since they started doing it under Dennis Green( according to Rod Graves in the presser) and we are no longer thought of as a Draft Day laughing stock. I do not envision us stealing a Chris Wells like last year but I am very confident that we will end up with some really good football players to add to a very good team. And Cody Brown is just like getting a nice bonus since he was a high pick(2nd) and is at a position of need. I think we are going to see a great draft form Whis, Rod, Steve and all the coaches. I am ready for the new format and hope we get the players we want. I would have liked to have heard something about how they get the UDFA squared away so quickly after the draft. They have done good at this in the past as well. Great Draft week lead in. Thanks Guys

I really appreciated Whisenhunt's explanation of the 120 board as it confirmed my thinking of how draft boards are set up. The big board is purely talent based and is graded out on who is just the better player whilst the 120 board weighs that board up against needs and is slightly leaning towards need more then pure talent. This allows to jump on a player if they feel he is by far the BPA and drops down to their spot but also gives them a chance to evaluate marginally better players against players who fit need better. I was pretty impressed by most of what they had say and it does give me confidence these guys will succeed in this draft.

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I really appreciated Whisenhunt's explanation of whilst the 120 board weighs that board up against needs

OT: Congratulations....a fine post but equally as important the first time this word has ever been used on this website
whilst

Monty

Reaction score
I really appreciated Whisenhunt's explanation of whilst the 120 board weighs that board up against needs

OT: Congratulations....a fine post but equally as important the first time this word has ever been used on this website
whilst

As long as its in the right context im glad though you have jumbled the way i used the word in the sentence in your quote. Just hoping that BIM doesnt get on my case about it being used in the wrong context.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I really appreciated Whisenhunt's explanation of the 120 board as it confirmed my thinking of how draft boards are set up. The big board is purely talent based and is graded out on who is just the better player whilst the 120 board weighs that board up against needs and is slightly leaning towards need more then pure talent. This allows to jump on a player if they feel he is by far the BPA and drops down to their spot but also gives them a chance to evaluate marginally better players against players who fit need better. I was pretty impressed by most of what they had say and it does give me confidence these guys will succeed in this draft.
i could see McClain easily being #1 on the 120 board but something like 10-15 on the overall board.

Monty

Reaction score
i could see McClain easily being #1 on the 120 board but something like 10-15 on the overall board.

Exactly. that is my understanding of it as well.

here is how the top 5 on the overall board could like

1. Suh
2. McCoy
3. Berry
4. Okung
5. Bradford

and here is how i think the Cards 120 board could look like

1. McClain
2. Weatherspoon
3. Graham
4. Kindle
5. Cody

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Cards draft plan: "best available player for your need" says Whiz.

I thought it was "looking for the player that gives “the greatest margin of improvement” for the team". I like how that sounds.

I like the 2 list system as well. Probably how we have ended up with Calias Campbell, and Early Doucet.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think the Cards move up but it won't be in round 1. I think they'll use the second 3rd round pick to move up in round 2 and grab Terrence Cody if he's still sitting there. Graves has shown he'll move up in round two previously with the Alan Branch trade but i can only remember moving back in round 1, not up.

My memory of trading is the same as yours.

In the past we had soooo many holes that trading up in rd1 would have been stupid. Plus trading up means a bigger signing bonus and we all know that would not have been an easy sell to Bowtie.

Cody very well could be the target to trade up for in the 2nd rd since the NT position is the only one we haven't addressed this year.