RonF

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Reaction score
Calm arrival into new era
Cardinals introduce coach Ken Whisenhunt

Kent Somers
The Arizona Republic
Jan. 17, 2007 12:00 AM

How many games will the Arizona Cardinals win next season?

Tough. Aggressive. Smart. Those were the operative words Tuesday when the Cardinals introduced Ken Whisenhunt as their new coach. If the team can throw around opponents like it tossed around adjectives, the 2007 season will be a rousing success.

Unlike some of the team's previous hires, Whisenhunt didn't bluster his way through his introductory news conference. He didn't proclaim a winner had arrived in town (Buddy Ryan), or predict a winning season (Dennis Green).

If the job in Arizona were easy, the Cardinals wouldn't be hiring their seventh full-time coach since arriving here in 1988.

"I think you recognize that is the situation here," Whisenhunt said. "But I don't think that you live in the past. You stay consistent in the message you give to the players and to the community: a disciplined, smart, tough football team that's going to show up on Sunday and play their guts out."

Whisenhunt, 44, signed a four-year contract with a team option for a fifth season. The Cardinals hope Whisenhunt, who has a reputation as an offensive innovator, can turn the team into a winner quickly - and can keep them at that level for a long time.

"We thought he brought both of those elements," said Michael Bidwill, the team's vice president and general counsel.

It's Whisenhunt's first head coaching job, and he choked up Tuesday when he thanked his wife, Alice, and children, Kenny and Mary Ashley, who sat in the front row of the auditorium at the team's Tempe facility.

Whisenhunt, the Steelers offensive coordinator the past three seasons, replaces Green, who was fired after going 16-32 in three seasons. Whisenhunt was one of the hotter names on the NFL coaching market this year. Just more than two weeks ago he began a nationwide tour that included interviews with Miami, Atlanta, Arizona and Pittsburgh.

Whisenhunt made a favorable first impression here, but the deal really came together in the week that followed.

Other NFL coaches called him with some advice. Make sure, they said, to not overlook the Cardinals job because there was an opportunity to win.

Whisenhunt listened. When the Steelers took their time finding a replacement for Bill Cowher, Whisenhunt became concerned he might be shut out of a head coaching job.

"More than anything, what that second week did was give me a chance to look at this situation," he said. "When I had the opportunity to come back in, I was much better prepared than the first time."

The Steelers never tried to stop Whisenhunt from leaving, nor did he give them a chance to match the Cardinals' offer.

Whisenhunt is undaunted by the challenge here. He has a civil engineering degree from Georgia Tech, although he's never used it because he went from playing in the NFL to coaching.

Still, he has an analytical mind and he ticked off a number reasons he thinks the Cardinals can win: the new stadium, talent in key spots, a favorable salary-cap situation, stability in the front office and an owner, Bill Bidwill, who wants to win.

"If you put them together, and hopefully I don't screw it up, you've got a chance to win," he said

He is familiar with University of Phoenix Stadium, having been there with the Steelers in the preseason. So, as an engineer, what did he think?

"I probably would have done some things differently," he deadpanned. "No, I think it's amazing. It's a very nice structure."

Note
Whisenhunt's first priority is hiring a staff. He would like to talk to some Steelers assistants, but all are under contract through 2007 and are in limbo until Pittsburgh hires a coach.

The Cardinals have retained seven assistants, including defensive coordinator Clancy Pendergast. Whisenhunt plans to begin interviewing those coaches today.

Whisenhunt's defensive philosophy seems to mesh with Pendergast's. The Cardinals likely will continue to use the 4-3 as their base defense, but will implement elements of the 3-4, which Pittsburgh uses.

The Cardinals were doing that under Pendergast.

On offense, Whisenhunt plans to call plays. One of his mentors, Dan Henning, recently was fired as Carolina's offensive coordinator, and Henning will be considered for a staff position, Whisenhunt said.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Dan Henning

Press also reported that Henning's grandchildren live in the south, so he might not want to move west.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If it weren't for Whisenhunt's reputation as an offensive innovator and his intention to do the play calling, I'd be somewhat concerned.

To me Henning is an enigma - I've always felt his offenses were a bit conservative and, frankly, dull. But whenever there have been openings, he gets snapped up, and I guess his experience and reputation for solid if unspectacular offensive play by teams he's coached must count for something.

If he can make the Cardinal offense more fundamentally sound (particularly in the run game), without it becoming too plodding, I could see Henning as an interesting older and wiser compliment to the younger and less experienced Whisenhunt.

But not at the risk of innovation and opening up the offense.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it weren't for Whisenhunt's reputation as an offensive innovator and his intention to do the play calling, I'd be somewhat concerned.

To me Henning is an enigma - I've always felt his offenses were a bit conservative and, frankly, dull. But whenever there have been openings, he gets snapped up, and I guess his experience and reputation for solid if unspectacular offensive play by teams he's coached must count for something.

If he can make the Cardinal offense more fundamentally sound (particularly in the run game), without it becoming too plodding, I could see Henning as an interesting older and wiser compliment to the younger and less experienced Whisenhunt.

But not at the risk of innovation and opening up the offense.

If Henning can get Davis to quit jumping into false starts, he'll be worth the money.:D

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Maybe Henning is considered to help develop Leinart?

He was regarded as one of the best QB coaches before getting bumped up to OC. He was the QB coach under Gibbs' first tenure with the Redskins.

redheat

A real American hero
Reaction score
I'd rather have doug henning

You must be registered for see images

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

in reviewing the guys who appear available at this time....henning is in the top tier....do we need another young offensive genius...i don't think so...one genius is enough...henning has a very good track record...has head coaching experience....he would be a plus for us...i like the idea of some ying/yang on the staff...assuming the yingers and yangers are sane and capable.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn't Whise say something in one of his interviews about having tremendous respect for Henning and that he considered him a mentor or something like that? I swear I read that somewhere...if so, that would help Whisenhunt feel stable in a new situation.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found this interesting...

Keyshawn Johnson backed off his comments that he wouldn't return to the Panthers if coordinator Dan Henning was fired.

Johnson took a diplomatic approach when hearing that Henning was ousted Monday. "You can't make emotional decisions," he said Monday afternoon. "I'm not saying I'm coming back or not coming back, I'm just saying." Johnson sounds likely to be back and he may not really have any choice in the matter.

OP
OP
RonF

RonF

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Reaction score
There are many coaches in the NFL who fail at the HC level, yet succeed at focusing on one aspect of the game. Henning could do well for us in a key area where Whissie felt attention was needed.

40 Year fan : you're spot on when it comes to preventing Davis from false starts.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My memories/impressions of Dan Henning are that he fails every place he goes and gets fired a lot.

Wild Card

Surfin' Bird
Reaction score
My memories/impressions of Dan Henning are that he fails every place he goes and gets fired a lot.

Skkorp:

That's a fair assessment of Henning's record in the top job. 38-73-1 in seven seasons as an NFL head coach, four with Atlanta (1983-86, 22-41-1) and three with San Diego (1989-91, 16-32). The closest he came to a winning season was 7-8-1 with the '86 Falcons, an achievement that got him fired at the end of the year. He was no more successful as a Division I HC, guiding Boston College to a 16-19-1 record from 1994-96.

Henning's had his moments as an assistant, though, working on Joe Gibbs' staff for the Redskins' Super Bowl teams of the '80s and helping Carolina reach the SB in 2003 and the NFC Championship in 2005. His complete coaching itinerary is as follows:

College coach: Florida State 1968-70, 1974, Virginia Tech 1971, 1973, Boston College 1994-96 (head coach).

Pro coach: Houston Oilers 1972, New York Jets 1976-78, 1998-2000, Miami Dolphins 1979-80, Washington Redskins 1981-82, 1987-88, Atlanta Falcons 1983-86 (head coach), San Diego Chargers 1989-91 (head coach), Detroit Lions 1992-93, Buffalo Bills 1997, New York Jets 1998-2000, Carolina Panthers 2002-06.​

So, yeah, he's changed jobs a lot (although that's not uncommon in this profession). But there's virtually no gaps in a 38-year resume, and he's been on the sideline in Super Bowls with two different teams. Maybe the Cards could do worse. :shrug:

WC

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05