Who do you want Boris Diaw or Joe Johnson?

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If Atlanta came back to the suns and offered Joe Johnson straight up for Boris Diaw (and you have to take the contracts they are currently on, so ignore cap rules), who would you take?

Obviously at this point in time Joe Johnson is clearly a better player than Boris Diaw, but Diaw has so much more potential to grow his game (like actually being able to hit a 10ft + shot) that I dont see joe johnson having, that I think I would take Boris Diaw. Which is just crazy to think about, since at the time of the trade he just seemed like a throw in, and we still get the two picks, and dont have to pay johnson 14 million a year. This turned out a heck of alot better then I could have ever imagined.

brianarizona

Reaction score
diaw. Even if joe johnson begged the suns to take him back colangelo should never take him back. he is the one who asked the suns to not match his offer and he is the one who wanted to leave and go become a STAR and a LEADER in Atlanta so i would say keep diaw lets see what the suns can create which is possibly a star and let johnson burn in hell (atlanta) !!!

SactownSunsFan

Welcome to the Age of Ayton
Reaction score
Diaw, simply because he seems a better fit at backing up Nash at the PG position, and becuase Bell is filling in nicely at the SG spot.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hsandhu said:
If Atlanta came back to the suns and offered Joe Johnson straight up for Boris Diaw (and you have to take the contracts they are currently on, so ignore cap rules), who would you take?

Obviously at this point in time Joe Johnson is clearly a better player than Boris Diaw, but Diaw has so much more potential to grow his game (like actually being able to hit a 10ft + shot) that I dont see joe johnson having, that I think I would take Boris Diaw. Which is just crazy to think about, since at the time of the trade he just seemed like a throw in, and we still get the two picks, and dont have to pay johnson 14 million a year. This turned out a heck of alot better then I could have ever imagined.

You mean Executive of the Year Brian Colangelo has a clue???

No! ;)

nathan

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Joe Johnson is less than a year older than Boris Diaw. I like Diaw, but if cost weren't an issue JJ is by far the better player.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The player Diaw admires most: Magic Johnson.

If he could only add a decent jumper, he could play a similar game.

OP
OP
H

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
nm132 said:
Joe Johnson is less than a year older than Boris Diaw. I like Diaw, but if cost weren't an issue JJ is by far the better player.

But how much better can Joe Johnson get? The main thing he needs to improve on, getting a first step to the basket, to either drive, or keep the defense honest, and hit them with jumpers, isn't something he can improve, you either have the quickness or don't.

On the other hand, the things Diaw needs to improve on, he can. So while only a year younger, his ceiling (not saying he'll necessarily reach it) is much higher.

Last edited:

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
nm132 said:

The fact that we are even talking about a comparison is amazing considering he was a throw-in in the trade.

panfolk

Registered
Reaction score
JCSunsfan said:
The fact that we are even talking about a comparison is amazing considering he was a throw-in in the trade.

Definitely.

I like Diaw because if he does get a long range shot he can score from anywhere on the floor. JJ isn't likely to develop a post up game and although his floaters in the lane were a treat they weren't really a penetrate and dish kind of play.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
panfolk said:
Definitely.

I like Diaw because if he does get a long range shot he can score from anywhere on the floor. JJ isn't likely to develop a post up game and although his floaters in the lane were a treat they weren't really a penetrate and dish kind of play.

JJ can create his own shot, dribble, distribute in an average fashion, and plays good D. He also has a very sweet jumper.

Diaw is a fantastic defender (seriously, he might be the best defender on the team right now), is a very good distributor, and a good ball handler. He can drive. He's a poor shooter.

With Diaw, KT, Bell, and Marion, we are WAY ahead of last year defensively. James Jones is even a decent defender.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Hawks draft pick in two years is going to make this deal look like theft.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Chris_Sanders said:

Is that pick lottery protected?

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score

That, and the fact that Johnson will still have $375 million left on his contract.

Reaction score
I think that Laker/Celtic pick can definately help us as well.

That trade already looks good for the Suns, considering Boris is playing the 4/5 most of the time he is in the game.
Diaw, James Jones, $3.5 million left on exception, and 2 fairly high picks for Joe Johnson is a sweet trade.

panfolk

Registered
Reaction score
JCSunsfan said:
JJ can create his own shot, dribble, distribute in an average fashion, and plays good D. He also has a very sweet jumper.

Diaw is a fantastic defender (seriously, he might be the best defender on the team right now), is a very good distributor, and a good ball handler. He can drive. He's a poor shooter.

With Diaw, KT, Bell, and Marion, we are WAY ahead of last year defensively. James Jones is even a decent defender.

The comparison I was making was more of what this team needs now kind of thing, but in retrospect Diaw's post play and JJ's shotmaking kind of cancel each other out as they are both Suns' needs right now. I think Diaw has superior court vision and I agree that he has great defensive utility.

Forrestham

Freebird62
Reaction score
I am totally on the "Boris Bandwagon". When the trade was made, I didn't know much about him. When you compare Boris to Joe and how much they are making there is no comparison. I cant see how this guy couldn't crack the Atlanta startnig lineup. He can pass, rebound drive to the hoop and play defense. With Amare's abscense, he is a great pickup.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Three games is a very short period to make definite judgements on, but so far Diaw has been pretty good.

Dallas Game - 23:46: 3 of 4, 1 of 2 from the line - 7 points, 4 rebounds, 3 assists and a blocked shot.

Laker Game - 16:33: 1 of 2 for 2 points, 2 rebounds, 5 assists

Utah Game - 27:51: 6 of 10, 2 of 2 from the line for 14 points, 4 rebounds, 6 assists, 3 blocked shots.

In three games, he is shooting 62.5% from the floor and 83.3% from the line to go with his 4.6 assists per game.

Errntknght

Reaction score
Given what came out over the summer about JJ's mindset I'm rather glad not to have him on the team. It didn't seem to bother his play but it might well have eventually. Right now Diaw is probably more valuable to the team than even the 'old' JJ would be - he's a far better playmaker and his presence is allowing Barbosa to play his natural style. So we are, in effect, getting two for one.

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
JCSunsfan said:

He wasn't a throw-in. PHX wanted him all along. ATL was giddy when PHX only asked for Diaw, and not Childress.

Stupid Atlanta.

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
Let's not get a little crazy here, guys.

Joe Johnson is still a helluva player, with a strong work ethic and high ceiling. He may end up regretting his decision to join ATL, but he's going to be a SOLID contributor to any team throughout his career.

Boris Diaw also has a high ceiling. But, higher than JJ's? Who knows? Once Boris gains confidence from 15-20 ft., it's going to open up his game even more.

Borins continues to remind me of a young Danny Manning. The passing is definitely Manning-like. Manning may have been a more effective scorer, but Diaw's defense is where he's going to make a name for himself. Not too many players can guard 2's, 3's, 4's, or 5's.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am really curious about exactly what size Diaw is. He's listed at 6'8" 225, but the NBA is notorious for not updating size stats. At one point, someone on the Suns referred to Diaw as being 6'9" and I suspect he may be bigger than 225.

What difference does it make? Nothing on the court, but our assumptions about players are often colored by how big we think they are. At 6'9" Diaw would be as tall as KT and Grant. In the long run, I expect there will be an emphasis on him bulking up with an expectation of him playing permanently on the inside.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
JCSunsfan said:
The player Diaw admires most: Magic Johnson.

If he could only add a decent jumper, he could play a similar game.
Magic had to learn that set shot from three and the mini hop jumper while he was in the NBA. When he was with Michigan he had four scorers on his team and was very happy to make the assists. He also developed the baby hook much later in his career. At this point, I think Diaw has a better jumper than Magic did at a similar point in their careers. Maybe Diaw ends up a better shooter? :shrug: :D

I brought up in another thread how he may be our future point guard after seeing him play this preseason. Think of a 6'9" PG passing to Amare in the paint. That could be very deadly. :D He already makes MArion look like Amare on the lob dunks! :notworthy

Last edited:

playstation

Selfless Service
Reaction score
one thing is for sure: at this point, his playing time is going up, no question. i mean, 3 games into this, he's out on the floor closing out the game at the expense of KT! hence, i picked him up for my fantasy team.

i know its water under the bridge, but i'm so impressed by how well we're playing i can't help but think how much cooler it would have been with Amare and maybe even Finley too. i mean, at that point our depth would have been rediculous. even when amare comes back, this means jones goes to the bench, making us that much stronger. just pray for no injuries :)

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
playstation said:
one thing is for sure: at this point, his playing time is going up, no question. i mean, 3 games into this, he's out on the floor closing out the game at the expense of KT! hence, i picked him up for my fantasy team.

i know its water under the bridge, but i'm so impressed by how well we're playing i can't help but think how much cooler it would have been with Amare and maybe even Finley too. i mean, at that point our depth would have been rediculous. even when amare comes back, this means jones goes to the bench, making us that much stronger. just pray for no injuries :)

I could also see KT going to the bench when Amare comes back. Both KT & Grant have had trouble keeping up with the Suns pace so far and both have looked a step slow on defense at times. It wouldn't surprise me to see KT be the 1st guy off the bench to give Amare a breather and have us back to playing a lineup similar to last season.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
To me, Diaw has the look of an ideal career 6th man. He can come in and do everything.