Who do you want Boris Diaw or Joe Johnson?

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
At this point, it's way too early to make a fair assessment on Boris. At this point (going against the popular consensus) I'd rather have Johnson. We know what we can expect from him. We know he's going to come out and give 20 a night. We don't know what to think of Diaw, and at this point it's all speculatory.

I hope Diaw turns out to be as good as I think, and truthfully he's shown me no reason to think otherwise. But as of now, I gotta go with the known.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
JCSunsfan said:
To me, Diaw has the look of an ideal career 6th man. He can come in and do everything.

SOmetimes its nice to have a 6th man that can come in and light it up but Diaw does do a little of everything.

keric

Reaction score
After just 4 games, I'm surprisingly impressed with Diaw. As the season goes on he will log in more minutes than KT and Grant. They already have designed set plays for him.(It seems he is the "other" big man that we coveted not KT) (looks like we were very fortunate in this regards as KT isn't what he was advertised to be)

Diaw is indeed a "raw" talent, and definately a diamond in the rough.

However, the original question that was posed here "Who would I take NOW?"

It would definately be Joe Johnson, traitor or not, JJ is the more polished player. (precise shooting= 3 pointers or moving jumpers) (ball handling= above average, second only to Nash) (size= 6'7-6'8 huge for a guard) (perimeter defense) (smarts= well on the court anyway) (age= younger than Diaw)
(NBA experience= JJ played all or almost all games of the past 2 seasons)

All factors considered, the trade is looking like a steal right now but if I had to answer the original question there is no doubt that JJ is by far the superior player right now (even though most of us might not want to admit it)

Like someone mentioned earlier "The simple fact that we are debating this is almost crazy" Given the details of the trade.

myrondizzo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
the original question also said wed have to take them at there current contracts. i dont think that joe has the ability turn earn 14 mil a year in our system.

Errntknght

Reaction score
The key thing about Diaw on this team is that he can keep Nash's minutes down. JJ could not do that. In many ways, JJ is the better player at present but on this team I'll take Diaw hands down. He's also helping Barbosa to flourish, which JJ couldn't do.

A few more games like these first four and I'll agree we shouldn't even be discussing this question!

King A

Registered
Reaction score
and even after only 4 games, i've never seen Johnson throw so many alley-oop passes to Marion

Neo

Red Tape Sorter
Reaction score
JJohnson still scores twice as many points per game as Diaw. If we were talking about a straight-up trade and salaries not being an issue, then I would have to go with Johnson. Johnson is still a better player.

However, when you talk about having to pay Johnson $70 million dollars and the way that handcuffs the team financially, that tips the scales towards Diaw.

If you then throw two first round draft picks into the equation, then the deal seems to be clearly in our favor. I am shocked at how much better Diaw is than I expected him to be. At the time of the trade, Belkin and some Atlanta fans (2 out of the 7 Atlanta Hawks fans, I beleive) were complaining about the draft picks. I don't recall anyone from Atlanta having any problem with parting with Diaw. He is still not as good of a player as Johnson, in my humble estimation, but Diaw is a heck of a player. When you consider the whole package of the trade, we clearly came out ahead.

cly2tw

Reaction score
Actually, from a trade point of view, it might still be a win-win for both teams, as Atl apparently can't really utilize the talent of Diaw as the Suns can. :)

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Neo said:
JJohnson still scores twice as many points per game as Diaw. If we were talking about a straight-up trade and salaries not being an issue, then I would have to go with Johnson. Johnson is still a better player.

However, when you talk about having to pay Johnson $70 million dollars and the way that handcuffs the team financially, that tips the scales towards Diaw.

If you then throw two first round draft picks into the equation, then the deal seems to be clearly in our favor. I am shocked at how much better Diaw is than I expected him to be. At the time of the trade, Belkin and some Atlanta fans (2 out of the 7 Atlanta Hawks fans, I beleive) were complaining about the draft picks. I don't recall anyone from Atlanta having any problem with parting with Diaw. He is still not as good of a player as Johnson, in my humble estimation, but Diaw is a heck of a player. When you consider the whole package of the trade, we clearly came out ahead.

Ok we all need to realize this is 4 games in....including you Neo....

while it may be premature to say Diaw is already better than JJ, its also premature to say Diaw might never be as skilled offensivly as JJ either. Potential wise he has the tools to be better and he has only been recieving A+ coaching for a little over a month now. and i mean ever. I dont think Phil Jackson coached the French National team either.....

Give it some time.....i was excited when we traded for JJ but he didnt show this much in his first SEASON let alone 4 games.....im in wait and see mode but i am excited

Neo

Red Tape Sorter
Reaction score
Arizona's Finest said:
Ok we all need to realize this is 4 games in....including you Neo....

Including me???

I thought I was supposed to be exempt from having to think logically. Since when was I supposed to have common sense?

nowagimp

Reaction score
Neo said:

It is difficult to judge Diaw over 4 games, as the league has not had a chance to defensively adjust for him(after which he will have to adjust for the adjustments). Obviously, his performance in Atlanta was limited by a being on a selfish team. With the european championships and the early NBA season, it appears that Diaw is in the midst of a steep learning curve and he is making rapid progress. Diaw is already a better passer and defender than Joe. I think he will develop into a better finisher inside due to athleticism and length. Because Boris can play defensive PF, he will almost always have a quickness advantage that can be exploited(and used to get others involved) in a half court set up. If he develops a pull up jumper, look out! I think that if the suns can get Amare back this team will be better than last year, period. I suspect that if Marion and Barbosa play better with Diaw(than JJ), it may be that Diaw does this, he makes those around him better, a quality that is rare indeed in a young player. Right now, I would not trade him for JJ, because I have a feeling that he will play much better with Amare. I hate to sound like a mouthpiece for suns management, but aside from the injury to Amare, the offseason personnel moves look very good.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
the offseason personnel moves look very good.
understatment of the year from what i have seen so far....

When the kid gets back, i like our chances against anybody, including timmy and those Spurs.....

nowagimp

Reaction score
Arizona's Finest said:
the offseason personnel moves look very good.
understatment of the year from what i have seen so far....

When the kid gets back, i like our chances against anybody, including timmy and those Spurs.....

I almost cant wait! (I just want Amare back healthy) We will be ten deep, have a good mix of young and vets, and the spurs have shown some signs of age: Bowen(35), Vanexel(34), Finley(32), Horry(35-36?). I'm thinking if we can run them and use a deep bench, then let Amare tear them up in the 4th, they might lose their legs late in the game. The spurs appeared old in second game of their back to back against the Mavs friday. Finley had like 2 pts, and they shot just 40% from the field. I also like Barbosa matching up against parker. If LB keeps the turnovers down he can play well against parker. He is just as quick and longer, creating a different look on offense and defense.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
cly2tw said:
Actually, from a trade point of view, it might still be a win-win for both teams, as Atl apparently can't really utilize the talent of Diaw as the Suns can. :)
:thumbup:

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
OK, here's another question then. Sarver has publicly admitted that it was a mistake not to sign JJ for the 5 year (or was it 6) 50 million deal last fall. Would you rather,

1. Have JJ at the original 2004 asking price (5/50)

or

2. What we got from Atlanta. Diaw, picks, trade exception (JrJ plus more later).

I still take #2

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Difficult question, since my hunch is that the Suns wouldn't have signed Richardson had Johnson already been extended. Johnson was right to be suspicious when Richardson was signed, and I think it was an indication that the Suns weren't completely sold on Johnson's mental state. If he had been extended in the summer of 2004, that question would have been moot. So then who does that money go to, and what happens after that? It's too hard to speculate.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
Eric is right that the entire chain of events would be different, but if we were just taking it as is --

I would rather have Joe at that price.

nowagimp

Reaction score
JCSunsfan said:
OK, here's another question then. Sarver has publicly admitted that it was a mistake not to sign JJ for the 5 year (or was it 6) 50 million deal last fall. Would you rather,

1. Have JJ at the original 2004 asking price (5/50)

or

2. What we got from Atlanta. Diaw, picks, trade exception (JrJ plus more later).

I still take #2

I think that time will probably prove you right. If I was planning on just running for the title this year and we had Amare, I would have taken Joe at 5/50. But now that Amare is out, and may sit out the season, I like #2 cause I think we will see the rising of Diaw, Barbosa and Jones this year. It may also be that Diaws presence was needed to allow Barbosa to reach his potential. I think that these three guys plus Bell will far surpass Joe and Q in the years ahead. But Diaw is the guy, I love that guy (his favorite player is Magic Johnson).

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser