Who has been the best player this season so far?

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just curious which player everyone feels has been the best for the Suns so far this season? Not sure how to make a poll so I will just ask.

I personally say Marion with Nash a very close second

WuRaider

Registered
Reaction score
For me, it would have been Marion if he didn't airball that shot against the Hornets leading to their announcer screaming "WHAT WAS THAT" in giggling annoying fashion.

OP
OP
nashman

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Your dislike for Marion is absurd. Hill while being very good has not been better than Marion. I said best player not best scorers.

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
Your dislike for Marion is absurd. Hill while being very good has not been better than Marion. I said best player not best scorers.

WTF?!?!?

I saw my post as giving props to Marion. Hill has brought a great mid-range game and an attack-the-basket attitude that Marion lacks because he is more content lobbing his terrible 3 pointer. THAT is why Hill is ahead of Marion because of the dimensions that Hill adds to this team. Marion has hustled on the boards and on defense just as he always does. Marion also gets his points inside or outside. Hill has also brought defense that no one expected, especially on the perimeter.

So, I don't see what your damn problem is....

OP
OP
nashman

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
settle down, I am referring to you always bashing Marion not just now. He has been playing harder than anyone and probally is responsible for alot of the wins this team has. Take away Marion and this team struggles to beat almost anyone, take away Grant and they still have scorers. Grant has won a few games for us but we wouldn't even be in alot of games without marions rebounds, defense and all around hustle.

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
He puts hill above marion and you consider it marion bashing? If you think top 3 is going to be unanimous on the internet you have another thing comin.

Marion in the top 3 is absurd? Surely you jest.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Marion is the only player who has been consistently playing on both ends of the floor.

Without Nash our offense is comically bad, despite having Diaw and Hill.

You can't go wrong with either but I give the slightest edge to Nash, but that is only because of the downturn in Marion's 3 pt percentage and FT percentage.

Honorable mention to Brian Skinner who has also made the most of his minutes.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Steve Nash is, of course, a lock this year. Too bad the guy who got 1-1-2 in the past 3 MVP ballots won't get enough votes to start, though.

Who's our second best? If by best player you mean money player, it's Grant Hill. But his stats won't get him the votes.

Even though it hurts the team playing Amare at Center, he'll get the votes for backup at that position.

If only Marion had stuck with his demand for a trade, we could have had the NBA's top vote getter, Kevin Garnett. And the league's top record. Betcha Nash would have been a starter then.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Steve Nash is, of course, a lock this year. Too bad the guy who got 1-1-2 in the past 3 MVP ballots won't get enough votes to start, though.

Who's our second best? If by best player you mean money player, it's Grant Hill. But his stats won't get him the votes.

Even though it hurts the team playing Amare at Center, he'll get the votes for backup at that position.

If only Marion had stuck with his demand for a trade, we could have had the NBA's top vote getter, Kevin Garnett. And the league's top record. Betcha Nash would have been a starter then.

The local radio has clarified repeatedly that any Garnett trade talk involved Amare and not Marion. This is straight from the Suns.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nash
Marion
Amare (defensive woes aside, still dominates on the other end)
Hill

The local radio has clarified repeatedly that any Garnett trade talk involved Amare and not Marion. This is straight from the Suns.

Not true. They said the trade talk involved Marion until Marion quashed any possible dealing involved with the Celtics. Then the talk heated up about possibly getting Amare.

However, all early trade speculation had Marion going somewhere in a 3 way deal.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nash
Marion
Amare (defensive woes aside, still dominates on the other end)
Hill

Not true. They said the trade talk involved Marion until Marion quashed any possible dealing involved with the Celtics. Then the talk heated up about possibly getting Amare.

However, all early trade speculation had Marion going somewhere in a 3 way deal.

Once we lost the Atlanta pick all trade talks switched to Amare. When we had the Atlanta pick it was Marion + pick.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And yes it is true. The guys on AM 620 have numerous sources in the Suns and have repeatedly shot down anyone saying the trade was with Marion. It wasn't. The trade that nearly happened was Amare, Garnett, and either Atlanta or Boston.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And yes it is true. The guys on AM 620 have numerous sources in the Suns and have repeatedly shot down anyone saying the trade was with Marion. It wasn't. The trade that nearly happened was Amare, Garnett, and either Atlanta or Boston.

Gambo is the one that kept saying that later the deal was around Amare. However, he changed his tune. When the trade rumors first surfaced it was also Gambo who reported that Marion had no interest in going there to the Celts and that quashed any deal. It wasn't until later he reported the "real" trade was around Amare. I think it was a combo of Marion squashing playing with the Celts and the loss of the Atlanta pick (as you said) that changed everything.

Also, Marion in the interview I heard didn't come out and say he was directly contacted about the possible trade but it was obvious there was something to it the way he kept avoiding answering any direct questions about it.

That is also why I think Marion was dead set on being traded this season. I think part of it was contract and the other part was they were trying to trade him the past couple off seasons. It can't be coincidence his name keeps coming up in trade talks every year. Where there is smoke there is fire.

Last edited:

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
1. Nash
2. Marion
3. Hill

Everyone else needs to go back to training camp.

cly2tw

Reaction score
Energy wise, Marion.

Top performance wise, Amare.

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
i'd say marion because he has been the most consistent. Hill is a very close second. after that i'd say Nash...in my eyes he isn't quite where he was last year at this point.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
The more important question will ultimately be, "Who has been the best post-season player so far?"

Virgin territory for Marion. The rest is up to Mike D'Antoni's (limited) substitution pattern during the regular season.

keric

Reaction score
Best Player: Nash (based on performance)

Best Player : Hill (based on expectations/contract)

Best Surprise: Skinner (what a find, needs more PT)

Worst Player: Raja Bell (dude has lost a lot in a year, injuries or not)

Atescoop

Reaction score
Don´t forget Amare´s mid range (well more of a spot-up than a jumper) shots, but marion with those 3balls makes me cringe. Plus, doesn´t Amare provoke more fouls? Marion is not one of those who can "score at will." Still, Nash is money in the Bank.