Who Is In Play at #29?

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
i don't rate him as high as some do...the Cardinals may differ. He has length and speed, but I have my doubts which I believe GMs will share.

Jackson is not a fluid player so he is going to struggle in off-man and zone. His poor hip turns will keep him out of the slot, he doesn't have the change of direction for it. He plays solid press, but he is spindly which makes me wonder if receivers in the NFL will be able to out muscle him in his area of strength. It is always a red flag when guys with poor technique win with power or physicality because they generally won't have that advantage in the pros.

Now, let me be honest. For small school kids, I start with the combine, and then go to youtube. At the combine, I saw a guy with good straight line speed and size, but who wasn't great moving in space in the drills. I looked at youtube, and saw more of that. It is a small sample size, but in terms of the Cardinals, I think he is more of an option in round 3 than round 1 as his value is probably a top 75 player. He is closer to Kendall Fuller than Eli Apple IMO.

He is more of an option if we trade out of the first round.

Thanks for getting back to me and appreciate your analysis of Jackson.:)

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There is no way to determine a "best player available" in a vacuum. Players rankings are built on positional value, need, scheme fit, and athletic talent. Those are built into the grading formula for a team. Need is used as a tie breaker if two players have the same or very similar numerical value.

Furthermore, the reason teams like the Cardinals only have big boards of 150 or 200 players is because they also take into account their depth at the position. So, if the Cards are ranking WRs, they will only rank up to those who they believe will have an ability to win a roster spot over Jaron Brown. Same goes for RB with Stepfan Taylor and Andre Ellington.

BPA regardless of position are created by a host of sites and gurus, so it's certainly conceivable that Kiem and Co go through the same exercise.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
When you get old things just get by you. You guys are right, I missed DT. I would, however, put it in the category of not likely worth a first round pick. I don't expect Rankins to drop and even if he did he fits a 4-3 better. Butler is certainly an interesting player and I wouldn't be terribly shocked to see the Cards take a flyer on him. The problem is coaching. He hasn't had enough good coaching so he's very raw. He lacks "moves" to be a force early in his career. He's very similar to what the Cards already have. He's got potential but I think the Cards will look for immediate impact.
Bada-bing. We have to give Gunther an off season and another training camp to see his advancement. We have Cory Peters back pushing for the starters role, so maybe we'll see if Gunthers versatile enough to play LDE and make an impact there.

CB, OL, DL, S, RB(ST's).

Yes BPA is weighted by need. Look for BPA at those positions early. After Rd. 4, they could take a flyer on anyone.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Jackson is a good bet to be there, though some rate him the top corner. Chopper's concern is real, but I think much of stems from technique issues. I'm still a believer you can't teach speed, which is why he's done well despite this concern. His recovery ability is outstanding. Jackson also is one of the top ball hawks in the draft. That's another hard-to-find trait. He's not a sure thing but. I like his chances.

CFLredzoned

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Bada-bing. We have to give Gunther an off season and another training camp to see his advancement. We have Cory Peters back pushing for the starters role, so maybe we'll see if Gunthers versatile enough to play LDE and make an impact there.

I wonder how much improvement we can expect to see from Gunter? It seems like he lacks instincts for making plays and breaking off blocks. Which is strange to watch because he gets alot of push going. It's kind of like watching a blocking sled drill. He drives and drives the sled back to the QB, but for some reason doesn't break off.

Williams and Stinson seem to have a better knack for shedding blocks. But nowhere near Gunter's power. Too bad we don't have a guy with power and a knack for shedding blocks. Oh wait, that's what Campbell is. How was Campbell his rookie year, shedding blocks and making plays-wise? Maybe it's something Rodney will learn?

pinetopred

Registered
Reaction score
Gunther raw power no instincts, you can't teach instincts. I think he can be a very good rotational player hope your right with CC comparison but I don't see it.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
I wonder how much improvement we can expect to see from Gunter? It seems like he lacks instincts for making plays and breaking off blocks. Which is strange to watch because he gets alot of push going. It's kind of like watching a blocking sled drill. He drives and drives the sled back to the QB, but for some reason doesn't break off.

Williams and Stinson seem to have a better knack for shedding blocks. But nowhere near Gunter's power. Too bad we don't have a guy with power and a knack for shedding blocks. Oh wait, that's what Campbell is. How was Campbell his rookie year, shedding blocks and making plays-wise? Maybe it's something Rodney will learn?

Gunther raw power no instincts, you can't teach instincts. I think he can be a very good rotational player hope your right with CC comparison but I don't see it.

Remember he was at Delaware St. Not your powerhouse program. It will take awile. But getting starters minutes your first year is pretty good. He will have to take some more steps, but he's got his head on straight and should put in the work. The coaches should be able to advance his techniques this coming off season and TC. He's got to be able to use his leverage better and develop more/better moves and hand techniques.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I don't recall ever seeing this many positive Sendlein posts and it's very good to see.There are many a poster who has blasted Lyle numerous times.

He's never been a pro bowl player but has played hurt/injured without complaining on many occasions and has been very solid. I do agree it's time to upgrade the position but having him as a fall back is not a bad thing.

Not a huge fan of Sendlein, but have never hated on him.. He's overachieved, there's no arguing that.

Since Levi Brown left, most of my Sunday tirades regarding the O-line, have been directed at Massie.

Since I've been following the Cards, I can't think of another O-lineman who has had as many viewpoints of our QB's throwing motion (or perfect views of a devastating sack.)

That said, Massie seems to be showing improvement, so there's that.

Redcoyote

Rookie
Reaction score
I'm good with taking Kelly if he is available or Kenny Clark at DT.

I'd also be ok with taking Paxton Lynch if they think he can be a franchise quarterback. I don't understand why the idea of developing a quarterback is so rejected. If you have the luxury of having a quarterback entering the twilight of their career but with 1-2 good seasons left why not pick your next quarterback and let him learn the ropes so that he is prepared to take over when Palmer hangs them up. Look at Aaron Rodgers and Phillip Rivers. It didn't hurt them to be eased in.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
BPA regardless of position are created by a host of sites and gurus, so it's certainly conceivable that Kiem and Co go through the same exercise.

They don't, and that is the disparity between draft sites, draft gurus, and the actual draft.

Teams build their draft boards for their specific team, scheme, and roster. Draft sites and gurus do not.

Draft steals. Draft busts. Draft grades. Best value. Sleepers. Top 300 lists. All just content that begins very limited insight to how the actual draft will play out.

The Pittsburgh Steelers used to have great draft, and found top edge players in the middle rounds of the draft. They were able to do that because less teams were running 3-4 defenses, and therefore, better players fell. What coaches want out of players matters. Mike Zimmer states he can find a cover 2 CB at a 7-11 in Mankato. Arians comments on QBs being able to stand in the pocket and deliver the football under pressure. Belichick wants players who can assimilate game plans quickly because he changes his schemes every week.

A player's value is all determined by the team.

A team's needs are determined by the team.

Only a small portion reflects much of the draft content that is put out there by third parties.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Jackson is a good bet to be there, though some rate him the top corner. Chopper's concern is real, but I think much of stems from technique issues. I'm still a believer you can't teach speed, which is why he's done well despite this concern. His recovery ability is outstanding. Jackson also is one of the top ball hawks in the draft. That's another hard-to-find trait. He's not a sure thing but. I like his chances.

I agree with Harry in one aspect, there is a ton to like about what William Jackson brings to the table. He is similar Justin Bethel in that regard. That isn't to compare the two as prospects out of college, but both had/have length and straight line speed which can't be taught.

From what I have seen, Jackson's career growth may mirror DRC's in some ways. DRC was long, but struggled to press WRs off the line in the pros because of his slight frame. However, DRC did have great makeup speed which enabled him to trail, accelerate, and make a play on the ball. The difference between the two is that DRC was more fluid in flipping his hips than I have seen from Jackson.

DRC had a big athlete, small school ego that came to the pros which showed in his inconsistency, immaturity, which kept him from being a top CB in the NFL. I don't know if Jackson will have that.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
CB and DT are the two favorites, far and away, IMO, at #29.

Of the CBs:

Mackensie Alexander - They say the mental is the most important part of playing CB, and Mack has a special mind. Pro Bowler mind. Carries himself like Deion Sanders.

William Jackson - The most athletic of the bunch. We know Keim prioritizes physical ability at CB. Its why he gave Bethel a deal, because of 'upside'.

Xavier Howard - Guy is extremely physical for a CB. He blows guys up at the LOS better than any player in college. Hes got elite long speed. I think hes the rawest of the 3, but has highest upside.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Not saying I want a QB, but with the Browns just getting RGIII, they may make a poor decision and not draft a QB in round 1. So QB prospects might be slipping. How far, who knows. But most people had it as a lock that a QB would be taken at #2. Not so certain anymore.

This would obviously screw up a lot of predictions on other players given the domino effect.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
CB and DT are the two favorites, far and away, IMO, at #29.

Of the CBs:

Mackensie Alexander - They say the mental is the most important part of playing CB, and Mack has a special mind. Pro Bowler mind. Carries himself like Deion Sanders.

William Jackson - The most athletic of the bunch. We know Keim prioritizes physical ability at CB. Its why he gave Bethel a deal, because of 'upside'.

Xavier Howard - Guy is extremely physical for a CB. He blows guys up at the LOS better than any player in college. Hes got elite long speed. I think hes the rawest of the 3, but has highest upside.

Very good assessments of all three CBs, Bodha. Bravo!