Who Is In Play at #29?

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
For the most part I don't think people complain about Sendlein, the guy played his heart out for this team for years, while being somewhat undersized and lacking a little athleticly. I think most realize it's a position that we can upgrade and get better. I personally would never want to disregard the contributions he has made for us.

At 305 lbs, he's the average size for centres.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I was watching tape of him today and I saw a number of plays where there was no initial hole and Henry did a little quick side stepping, found a crease and was off to the races. His acceleration looks fine to me.
Watch Jordan Howard from Indiana. He's my favorite back in the draft and would much rather grab him in round 3. That's if the Cards take a RB.

EDIT: here's a youtube of him:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited by a moderator:

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't recall ever seeing this many positive Sendlein posts and it's very good to see.There are many a poster who has blasted Lyle numerous times.

He's never been a pro bowl player but has played hurt/injured without complaining on many occasions and has been very solid. I do agree it's time to upgrade the position but having him as a fall back is not a bad thing.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Watch Jordan Howard from Indiana. He's my favorite back in the draft and would much rather grab him in round 3. That's if the Cards take a RB.

I been on the Jordan Howard bandwagon for a while.... dude would be an awesome pickup

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I don't recall ever seeing this many positive Sendlein posts and it's very good to see.There are many a poster who has blasted Lyle numerous times.

He's never been a pro bowl player but has played hurt/injured without complaining on many occasions and has been very solid. I do agree it's time to upgrade the position but having him as a fall back is not a bad thing.
I'm not Sendlein fan and have been calling for an upgrade for years. However, he is serviceable and can be "hidden" a little bit playing between Mathis and Iupati. I'm not taking Kelly at 29 unless he's the clear BPA. If it's close, I'd go with a more impactful position.

Oh, and say no to Taylor Decker. You can get a player of his caliber later. Way overrated.

Reaction score

+1

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
When I used to be nutty enough to do a mock draft I used a simple technique. Since the advent of the cap I think most teams draft with a mofified BPA attitude. That is they identify their positions of need and select the BPA that fills one of those needs. In keeping with that philosophy and considering the Cards are focused on winning it all this year I have eliminated several positions. I should note in fairness to other posters that Keim has done such a phenomenal job this off-season the Cards could take a flyer on J. Smith or even a QB. I just don't think they will. So I drop QB, RB , TE, K, G, and DE. The latter assumes they re-sign Feeney. I also assume they won't take the kick returner they desperately need unless he also fills another need.

A few other positions would only happen if they think a change of direction might be needed. For example I don't think they would take either of Mitch's WRs. However, if they decided they were unlikely to re-sign Floyd they might take a tall, fast receiver.

Next I eliminate any position that does have a player worthy of being selected in round one. Against public sentiment I feel the Center position fits that description.

Next I rank the remaining positions by how great I see the need. For me it looks like this; OLB, CB, T (I can't imagine 2 competing rookies), C, ILB and S.

The only OLB that might be there and is worth the gamble at 29 is Floyd. I'm not crazy about him but he's a reasonable risk. I think I've made it clear on other posts that the best choice would IMO be William Jackson III. The tackles have issues, but Spriggs first and then Decker are decent choices. If Ragland dropped I would have to take him over anyone but Jackdon. Bell is probably the top safety that might be there.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
When I used to be nutty enough to do a mock draft I used a simple technique. Since the advent of the cap I think most teams draft with a mofified BPA attitude. That is they identify their positions of need and select the BPA that fills one of those needs. In keeping with that philosophy and considering the Cards are focused on winning it all this year I have eliminated several positions. I should note in fairness to other posters that Keim has done such a phenomenal job this off-season the Cards could take a flyer on J. Smith or even a QB. I just don't think they will. So I drop QB, RB , TE, K, G, and DE. The latter assumes they re-sign Feeney. I also assume they won't take the kick returner they desperately need unless he also fills another need.

A few other positions would only happen if they think a change of direction might be needed. For example I don't think they would take either of Mitch's WRs. However, if they decided they were unlikely to re-sign Floyd they might take a tall, fast receiver.

Next I eliminate any position that does have a player worthy of being selected in round one. Against public sentiment I feel the Center position fits that description.

Next I rank the remaining positions by how great I see the need. For me it looks like this; OLB, CB, T (I can't imagine 2 competing rookies), C, ILB and S.

The only OLB that might be there and is worth the gamble at 29 is Floyd. I'm not crazy about him but he's a reasonable risk. I think I've made it clear on other posts that the best choice would IMO be William Jackson III. The tackles have issues, but Spriggs first and then Decker are decent choices. If Ragland dropped I would have to take him over anyone but Jackdon. Bell is probably the top safety that might be there.

I agree with your general philosophy but disagree with some of your positional predictions. QB, TE, RB, K are definitely off the board for the first rd. DE and OG may still may still be options. I want Defense often and early in this draft but Oline and in particular OC are high on the need list.

I truly believe that when teams say BPA they are using a weighted system. BASK sets their 120 board and in that process they focus on need. So for example I think TE is way down on their list of needs so many of the TE's are not put on the board and those that are end up further down on the board than if we needed a TE.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
DE,CB, DT, OC, OT, OG, S, OLB are out top needs at this point.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

nice write up Harry...I agree with the system for the most part.... Personally I think DT/NT is a pretty serious need...we have bodies, but many of those bodies are old...and the young bodies have not managed to penetrate the backfield much so far..... this is why I have been hyping Vernon Butler so much...a dude that size, who is not fat, and has good athletic ability is hard to find these days..and IMNSHO.... adding a guy with great push in the center makes everything easier for all of the guys outside,...and for the backfield... I believe you build your defensive front seven from the inside out.
Corner would be a good pick as far as team needs go... but IMO...there are only two worthy of a first round pick and they will likely be gone.

we really need to hope other GM's see the depth of defensive front seven talent in this draft and gamble they can score quality value later... most drafts have a run in the first...and in this one I am hoping it is on OT's.... then corners....teams always reach for tackles and corners when they are afraid they will be left without.... if that happens we should have some prospects available at 29 that can really help this club.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
When you get old things just get by you. You guys are right, I missed DT. I would, however, put it in the category of not likely worth a first round pick. I don't expect Rankins to drop and even if he did he fits a 4-3 better. Butler is certainly an interesting player and I wouldn't be terribly shocked to see the Cards take a flyer on him. The problem is coaching. He hasn't had enough good coaching so he's very raw. He lacks "moves" to be a force early in his career. He's very similar to what the Cards already have. He's got potential but I think the Cards will look for immediate impact.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
If all are available ?

1. Paxton Lynch, QB
2. A'Shawn Robinson, NT
3. Kevin Dodd, OLB

I would have Ryan Glasgow, C circled for the Cardinals in the 3rd.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
The short-ish list in no particular order

Paxton Lynch - QB
Ryan Kelly - C
Cody Whitehair - G/C
Vernon Butler - DE
Kenny Clark - DE/NT
Jarran Reed - DE/NT
Jonathan Bullard - DE
Kevin Dodd - OLB
Emmanuel Ogbah - OLB
Leonard Floyd - OLB
Reggie Ragland - ILB
Eli Apple - CB
Karl Joseph - S

I don't believe Darron Lee, or Mackensie Alexander will be available.

My list of guys I like at 29 is a little shorter, but these all have a chance to be there.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The short-ish list in no particular order

Paxton Lynch - QB
Ryan Kelly - C
Cody Whitehair - G/C
Vernon Butler - DE
Kenny Clark - DE/NT
Jarran Reed - DE/NT
Jonathan Bullard - DE
Kevin Dodd - OLB
Emmanuel Ogbah - OLB
Leonard Floyd - OLB
Reggie Ragland - ILB
Eli Apple - CB
Karl Joseph - S

I don't believe Darron Lee, or Mackensie Alexander will be available.

My list of guys I like at 29 is a little shorter, but these all have a chance to be there.

What about CB William Jackson III. Do you think he will be gone or do you rate him lower than first round?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
What about CB William Jackson III. Do you think he will be gone or do you rate him lower than first round?

i don't rate him as high as some do...the Cardinals may differ. He has length and speed, but I have my doubts which I believe GMs will share.

Jackson is not a fluid player so he is going to struggle in off-man and zone. His poor hip turns will keep him out of the slot, he doesn't have the change of direction for it. He plays solid press, but he is spindly which makes me wonder if receivers in the NFL will be able to out muscle him in his area of strength. It is always a red flag when guys with poor technique win with power or physicality because they generally won't have that advantage in the pros.

Now, let me be honest. For small school kids, I start with the combine, and then go to youtube. At the combine, I saw a guy with good straight line speed and size, but who wasn't great moving in space in the drills. I looked at youtube, and saw more of that. It is a small sample size, but in terms of the Cardinals, I think he is more of an option in round 3 than round 1 as his value is probably a top 75 player. He is closer to Kendall Fuller than Eli Apple IMO.

He is more of an option if we trade out of the first round.

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would like to see Lynch develop in a Cards uni. He has the size and has every tool to become a good QB in the NFL.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
For everyone calling on Lynch, you gotta remember theres no such thing as a developmental QB in the NFL. You have to take one whos darn near perfect coming out, and tweak him from there.

If hes a total project, its a waste pick. Theres not enough hours in the day, theres not enough reps in practice, theres no preseason or regular season games that any team can afford to lose by allowing the kid to try and fail.

This league is about winning now. There are no more developmental seasons. If a HC lets his young project QB have a 2-14 year to grow, he's fired.

I expect him to be available. In fact, I somewhat expect a showdown between Jackson and Alexander at #29. with Alexander being the better player but Jackson having the size, so itd probably tip in Jacksons favor.

Whether its Macky or Jacky, Im happy. Remember, this is our #2 CB. Both guys have#1 CB talent. So we are just rich getting richer in our secondary. Both guys have flaws, but both will arguably be the best #2 CB in the NFL if on our team.

Last edited:

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree with your general philosophy but disagree with some of your positional predictions. QB, TE, RB, K are definitely off the board for the first rd. DE and OG may still may still be options. I want Defense often and early in this draft but Oline and in particular OC are high on the need list.

I truly believe that when teams say BPA they are using a weighted system. BASK sets their 120 board and in that process they focus on need. So for example I think TE is way down on their list of needs so many of the TE's are not put on the board and those that are end up further down on the board than if we needed a TE.

Believe Keim has two boards.

1. pure BPA
2. BPA and position of need.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

1. pure BPA

Wouldn't surprise me at all.

When interviewed he will swear to BPA and the famous quote "what isn't a need in April becomes a need in October" as proof to why he believes in BPA. No way SK drafts a RB before rd4 this year no matter who he has a chance to take before then.

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
So if Ezekiel Elliot somehow made it to 29, could we pass?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

1. pure BPA

There is no way to determine a "best player available" in a vacuum. Players rankings are built on positional value, need, scheme fit, and athletic talent. Those are built into the grading formula for a team. Need is used as a tie breaker if two players have the same or very similar numerical value.

Furthermore, the reason teams like the Cardinals only have big boards of 150 or 200 players is because they also take into account their depth at the position. So, if the Cards are ranking WRs, they will only rank up to those who they believe will have an ability to win a roster spot over Jaron Brown. Same goes for RB with Stepfan Taylor and Andre Ellington.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05