Who is the best defensive playmaker in the draft?

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Denny likes to take guys who are playmakers with his first round pick. The only offensive playmaker that could be available,and will make an immediate impact to the Cards, is Davis. That makes me believe the Cards will go after a defensive playmaker at 10. The top 3 candidates, i think, are AJ Hawk,Michael Huff, and Jimmy Williams. Ngata is a run stuffer/plugger. Mario Williams will be long gone. It's looking like Hawk and Huff will also be chosen ahead of the Cards pick. That leaves Jimmy Williams. He may have been the top DB chosen last year if he declared.He's a big hitter and a ball hawk. I'm starting to like the sounds of a secondary that has Rolle, Williams,Green, Wilson, Will Allen,and David Macklin in it. Davis would be my first choice at 10 but i would also like Williams. I don't think Green will take guys like Bunkley,Justice,or Ngata, because he feels that those positions can be filled later in the draft. He wants guys in the first round that have a buzz factor to them and can possibly start right away.

Also, i know Vince Young would have a buzz factor to him but he may not be able to play for 3 years,if then, while he learns how to play at the NFL level. These other guys we're talking about start from day 1.

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
jimmy williams is a payday player. only plays when money is on the line. huff and hawk are the play makers. ernie simms is right up there with them.

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
A few things, Allen is gone http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2375948
ESPN.com - NFL - Dolphins reach deal with former Giants CB Allen

Also, I love JWill he is a real player and will succeed at either CB or FS, he does have an attitude problem though like the other Tech guys.

As far as the original question, Huff is the best playmaker. Anytime he gets the ball he can take it to the house, if it were up to me and Huff was there I would take him over any other defender.

spanky1

Reaction score
vinnymac said:
jimmy williams is a payday player. only plays when money is on the line. huff and hawk are the play makers. ernie simms is right up there with them.

I respectfully disagree regarding Williams.....and Ernie Simms at #10 is a reachy.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Who is the best defensive playmaker in the draft?
Mario Williams - Ran a 4.66 at 295 pounds. Likened to Julius Peppers.

But he will be long gone when we pick. Of the defensive guys who may be there at #10 --

AJ Hawk is a playmaker.

Bunkley is not a playmaker but is a disrupter.

Huff is considered a playmaker and is a big corner (6-0 204) who ran a 4.34 at the combine.

Jimmy Williams is considered a playmaker with great size (6-2 213) but his 4.37 forty time remains "unofficial" and there's been an undercurrent of comment suggesting his attitude isn't all it should be.

If the draft were held today - and its outcome was consistent with the current buzz - I'd say that Hawk, Bunkley, Huff, Williams and offensive player Vince Young would be the most likely players that could fall to us.

But I'm not sure anyone else rates Bunkley quite that high and Williams may have dropped off the table. That would leave Hawk, Huff or Young as "most likely" at #10. And, if the Cards don't rate any of the three highly enough, trading down might still be an option.

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
Spanky / Big--

I have read in some draft write-ups that Jimmy Williams is "immature" and has attitude issues--

yet all I could find about the guy was that he popped off before the USC game (and fairly mild at that: "Even if Mike Williams was playing, I dont think he would have a big game"), after which Beamer put the gag order on him, which he lived by.

Is there anything else?

Billy Flynt

Pirate, 300 yrs too late
Reaction score
Hawk is the biggest playmaker - will be gone before #10. Urlacher-quality LB.

Williams has potential but likely to be a bust due to his questionable maturity

Huff is another top prospect - has all the tools to become a perennial probowler.

To me, Super Mario has bust written all over him... just a feeling.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
vinnymac said:

just a wild a-- guess but I would say A.J. Hawk. Sort of depends what team you put him on.

Shogun

Never doubt Mitch. EVER.
Reaction score
Mario Williams, AJ Hawk and Ernie Sims.

Sims > Jimmy Williams.

Doc Cardinal

Old Fart
Reaction score
Ko Simpson (Gamecock safety) is not a first round pick....but is a playmaker in round 2.

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
en fuego said:
Spanky / Big--

I have read in some draft write-ups that Jimmy Williams is "immature" and has attitude issues--

yet all I could find about the guy was that he popped off before the USC game (and fairly mild at that: "Even if Mike Williams was playing, I dont think he would have a big game"), after which Beamer put the gag order on him, which he lived by.

Is there anything else?

He got ejected from the Gator Bowl and is ready to fight at the drop of a hat like D. Hall.

OP
OP
Cbus cardsfan

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
BigDavis75 said:
He got ejected from the Gator Bowl and is ready to fight at the drop of a hat like D. Hall.
I would take Hall in a second.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
If Jimmy Williams falls to #10, he'll have a serious chip on his shoulder. I'd really, really like to have him here if we can't get V. Young, V. Davis, M. Huff, or H. Ngata.

I think that all the talk of Hawk falling to #10 is poppycock.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser